Since yesterday my Laptop hasn't been able to connect to the internet, whether it be through Chrome, IE, Online Games or to update software. It says I am connected but can only get limited access to my router's WiFi. I have tried unplugging the router and modem however that didn't solve any issues. It definitely isn't the router as I can go online with my Xbox 360, smartphone and Nintendo 3DS. I also tried using my smartphone as a WiFi hotspot and connecting through that, but again could only get limited access. I am currently posting from the family desktop which is connected to our WiFi.
I would very much appreciate any bit of help that can be offered.
EDIT: I should also add that I am using Windows 7 Premium 64-Bit on my laptop.
Hi Harry.
The first thing I would try is to open Device Manager, expand Network Adapters, right click on the Wireless adapter and select Uninstall.
Reboot and Win 7 will rediscover the device and reload the drivers. If asked during the uninstall if you want the drives also removed, reply NO.
A file will open in Notepad. Please copy and paste the contents here. Close the Notepad window and the file will be deleted and the Command Prompt window will also close.
Pinging www-mozilla-org.glb.mozilla.net [63.245.209.11] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 63.245.209.11: bytes=32 time=90ms TTL=48
Reply from 63.245.209.11: bytes=32 time=91ms TTL=48
Reply from 63.245.209.11: bytes=32 time=94ms TTL=48
Reply from 63.245.209.11: bytes=32 time=92ms TTL=48
Ping statistics for 63.245.209.11:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 90ms, Maximum = 94ms, Average = 91ms
>ping 63.245.209.11
Pinging 63.245.209.11 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 63.245.209.11: bytes=32 time=91ms TTL=48
Reply from 63.245.209.11: bytes=32 time=94ms TTL=48
Reply from 63.245.209.11: bytes=32 time=93ms TTL=48
Reply from 63.245.209.11: bytes=32 time=90ms TTL=48
Ping statistics for 63.245.209.11:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 90ms, Maximum = 94ms, Average = 92ms
If pinging the IP address works then you have a DNS problem. If neither works then it's something else, possibly WinSock (Windows Socket Services). You could download and give this a try: WinSockXPFix
Hi, this is what I get from cmd:
C:\Users\Harry\ping www.mozilla.org
Ping request could not find host www.mozilla.org. Please check the name and try again.
C:\Users\Harry\ping 63.245.209.11
Pinging 63.245.209.11 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Ping statistics for [removed]:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)
Winsock did not seem to solve anything either.
I noticed this on Chrome when I try to load a page:
The server at www.google.com can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed. DNS is the web service that translates a website's name into its internet address. The error is most often caused by having no connection to the internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be cause by an unresponsive DNS server or a firewall preventing Google Chrome from accessing the network.