This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Wireless-enabled laptop won't connect to the internet

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello everyone, For the last couple of weeks or so my wireless-enabled laptop has not been connecting to the internet. When you switch it on the network icon down at the bottom right says ‘Acquiring network address’ when you hover your mouse over it but it never does connect. After a few seconds the message changes and it says ‘Signal strength: excellent Status: Limited or no connectivity.’ But still no internet connection. My laptop connects to the network at work OK. And I use the same router for my PC which still connects to the internet no problems. I hadn’t installed anything new on the laptop as far as I remember, unless you count various Microsoft updates. However, since 2 weeks ago I just can’t get onto the internet. Any help would be massively appreciated. Thanks.
Hi percylovely,

good info.

…And I use the same router for my PC which still connects to the internet no problems.

But is that PC also wireless, or is it connected with a wire….? If a wire, then that still leaves room for a problem with the wireless device inside that box. That Networking appliance is actually THREE different devices in one box, rather than a single device. It is a Router, a 4-port Switch, and a 2-way Radio.

depending on your answer, there's a couple of ways to go…..one is that the DHCP server in the Router is malfunctioning. I've also seen this if using 128-bit WEP (which I HOPE you're using WAP or WAP2,) and too complex a key is used. Thought I would imagine you would know if your encryption key had changed recently.

Is this wireless that is built-in, or is this a plug-in USB (or other,) wireless device ?

Have you tried yet to 'manually' configure the adapter ? [for a wireless client that moves locations, that's not how we'd like to leave it, but it would tell us if the device itself is functioning properly.]

Tallon41
Hi Tallon41,

Thanks for replying.

But is that PC also wireless, or is it connected with a wire….?


No, my PC is not wireless, it's connected to the PC by a wire. So maybe it is the router then.

Have you tried yet to 'manually' configure the adapter ?


I don't what that means, I'm afraid. The only thing I've tried to do is, when Internet Explorer fails to load it says 'Internet Explorer cannot display this webpage' and then underneath it says 'Diagnose Connection problems.' I click on that which takes you to Network Diagnostics fro Windows XP where it checks connectivity but to no avail.

Is this wireless that is built-in, or is this a plug-in USB (or other,) wireless device ?


It's built in.

there's a couple of ways to go…..one is that the DHCP server in the Router is malfunctioning. I've also seen this if using 128-bit WEP (which I HOPE you're using WAP or WAP2,) and too complex a key is used. Thought I would imagine you would know if your encryption key had changed recently.


You'll have to explain this further, Tallon41, as I don't really understand this bit,

Thanks again. Your help is much appreciated,

Percy

Percy
Are other PCs using wireless in your network without issue ? If "no" or there are none, then Restart the Router [not the same as Reset.] Some models can be restarted from inside the firmware, but it is usually simpler to just disconnect the thin black power cord that is connected to it, count to 20, then plug it in. Wait a min, then restart the PC. [note: unplugging the Router will disconnect ALL PCs from the network, so it is best to warn all users before this is done.] Tallon41
You are a star, Tallon41! Can't believe I failed to try the old unplug the cable and then plug it back in again technique before you suggested it! Many thanks, Percy
Your very welcome. You might want to check the air-flow around it also. I have an SMC wireless Router and it would do the same thing, after a few times, I lifited it up instead of just pulling the plug, and I noticed it was quite hot [do not 'stack' your networking hardware the top one gets all the heat.] It came with a holder to stand it up on it side but I did not use it. I put it in the cradle and haven't had that problem anymore….when I need to restart it, it's because no one can get to the internet…LOL Tallon41

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI