Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Network/Gateway issues

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Jiso

Jiso

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 10:18 PM

Had a look around before making this topic and it seems as though the other threads I saw on this were resolved in ways that did not work when I tried them. Essentially, I haven't had the internet at home for the last two weeks. I went to use a friend of mine's wireless connection abut a week ago and wasn't able to use the internet, which I figured had something to do with his modem. Today I got the internet back at home and I'm having the exact same trouble I had a week ago. The internet on the home computer is able to connect just fine but although the laptop is able to connect wirelessly to the router I am unable to access the internet. I've checked all firewall settings and they are the same as two weeks ago when I last used the net on my laptop. Windows Live Messenger gives me an error code, 80072ee7 and claims that "Your gateway appears to be offline" I've spent the last hour or so searching the net for solutions and have come up with nothing. Any help or ideas would be great!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 21 October 2009 - 10:31 PM

Hi Jiso. Your post isn't real clear on details. Have you tried to connect your laptop directly to your modem with an ethernet cable? If you open your wireless network listing, does it show that yours is "Connected." Or does it say something else for status, such as "Automatic," or "Limited or no connectivity?" Please be as detailed as possible in order to receive the best help.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#3 Jiso

Jiso

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 10:39 PM

Thanks for the reply Appleoddity. Have plugged the ethernet cable straight into the laptop and it would not connect. In the wireless network listing it shows up as "Connected." I just reconnected it again and now it says "Connected with limited access"

#4 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 21 October 2009 - 10:43 PM

When you plug the cable directly into the laptop have you tried to cycle the power on your modem? In my area, Comcast provides a cable modem with phone service that absolutely refuses to connect to any other device than the original connected piece of equipment until it is completely powered down including the battery back up. So, rebooting the modem is the first thing to try just to be sure after you plug your laptop into it. Now that you have tried that, and you currently have your laptop plugged in with the ethernet cable directly to the modem, look in control panel -> network connections. What does is say for the status of your Local Area Connection? Is it "connected", or "limited or no connectivity?"

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.

#5 Jiso

Jiso

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 10:53 PM

Now that you have tried that, and you currently have your laptop plugged in with the ethernet cable directly to the modem, look in control panel -> network connections. What does is say for the status of your Local Area Connection? Is it "connected", or "limited or no connectivity?"

It says it's connected now.

When I opened the browser it gave me the "Internet Explorer cannot display this webpage" screen it's been giving me and MSN gives the same ""Your gateway appears to be offline" message.

#6 Jiso

Jiso

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:45 AM

In command prompt I entered IPCONFIG and got these results, if that helps at all: Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connections Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . . . . : fe80::f0:9a90:fbd0:f11e%11 Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address . : 169.254.241.30 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :

#7 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 07:20 AM

Well, it is clear that you aren't getting an IP address via DHCP. However, the IPCONFIG listing you posted is for your wireless lan, not your wired lan, which, if you were following my instructions from a previous post you are currently connected via the ethernet cable. Also, if this is ALL the information listed from IPCONFIG then it is also showing that your LAN connection (the wired one) is disabled, because it should say "media disconnected," for Local Area Connection. Subsequently, if your system says "connected," when you plug in your ethernet cable, then the numbers listed above in your IPCONFIG listing are impossible. The numbers above are when your wired lan says, "limited or no connectivity," and when your wireless lan says, "limited connectivity." I appreciate your desire to resolve this issue quickly, but I really need you to follow the instructions I am giving you to help you. If you keep changing things, such as how you are connected (wireless or wired), I never really know and I have to keep asking. Right now, I want you to be connected directly to the router with your ethernet cable. Then, run the IPCONFIG /ALL command and post ALL of the results. And tell me what your browser does when you try to use the internet. Also, tell me what the "status" of the connection is in "network connections." (connected, limited connectivity, etc) Do not give me any further information obtained while connected wirelessly, it will only confuse the situation. Once getting your laptop to work with a wired connection we can focus on wireless. But, attempting to make wireless work right now just adds an extra layer of complication if there is encryption, etc.

#8 Jiso

Jiso

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:52 PM

Do you want the IPCONFIG from the PC I'm on now which the internet is working on?

#9 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:56 PM

From the non- working computer.

#10 Jiso

Jiso

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 06:29 PM

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connections Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . . . . : fe80::f0:9a90:fbd0:f11e%11 Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address . : 169.254.241.30 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . . . . : fe80::4dce:ca20:32e6:1a94%10 Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address . : 169.254.26.148 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection * 6: Media State: Media Disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffx: Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection * 11: Media State: Media Disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffx: Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection * 11: Media State: Media Disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffx:

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 07:53 PM

First thing is to make sure that any internet security software is turned off, especially Norton. If Norton is on there I would completely uninstall it just to make sure it isn't screwing things up.

Next, download LSPFix to a flashdrive and run it on your non-working computer. If there is a problem in the LSP chain it will notify you and offer to correct it. Go ahead and let it correct it, but first write down everything listed in the left window and post it here (regardless if there is a problem or not).

If we cannot identify any problems here I will have to have you talk to our malware removal guys and have them analyze your computer. By posting a hijackthis log in the malware removal forum I will be able to get a better look at your system configuration also. But, you can hold off on that until I direct you there. Do not post a HJT log here.

#12 Jiso

Jiso

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 01:08 AM

I thought I'd posted back in here but obviously not. When I attempted to open LSFix on the affected computer it told me I had to re-install Winsock 2. Before I did anything, I plugged the ethernet cable into the affacted computer like I have before but for some reason I was able to access the internet just fine. About an hour later it dropped out again on wireless but plugging the ethernet cable into the affected computer and restarting the modem seemed to get it going again.

#13 Jiso

Jiso

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 01:30 AM

Problem is still persisting. Is there any way to re-install Winsock2?

#14 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 02:34 AM

Hi, until appleoddity gets back to you, have a look here:
http://www.bleepingc...opic129638.html
and follow jacee's advice.

Dont forget to set up a reliable System Restore Point and take a full Registry backup ( Erunt is good) before proceeding.
More details on Erunt from here:
http://www.larsheder...nline.de/erunt/
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#15 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 07:35 AM

I just realized that you are running Vista... :smack:

Anyways, I don't remember if LSPfix works properly in Vista or not.

However, the link provided by Paws does offer a but of advice on resetting the Winsock. However, if you haven't tried the instructions there I would like to just post what I want you to try here because those instructions aren't completely necessary I don't think.

You need to open an administrative command prompt first by click start -> programs -> accessories and right-clicking "command prompt." Choose to run as administrator.

At the command prompt, type the following two commands and press ENTER after each one.

First: netsh winsock reset This command resets the LSP chain that we just checked.
Second: netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt This command rebuilds/repairs/resets (whatever term you want to use) Winsock.

Reboot the computer after these commands.