This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Unable to install Windows Vista Service Pack 2

13 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi Lee, I gave it the chkdsk /r command and it replied: The type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the net time the system restarts? I tried giving it a Y, and then restarting - but on booting it either goes into the endless loop or I interrupt with the F8 so chkdsk doesn't run. Kalshady
As I thought. That Recovery disk that came with your computer is not good for anything except restoring to original factory state from the hidden partiton on your hard drive. It can't even access an OS restore point or do repair commands to get out of the notorious Vista infinite Reboot Loop ("Configuring Updates Stage 3 of 3 0%") fault.

A Microsoft fix was released. Update for Windows Vista (KB937287) http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/detai…en&id=15287 "This update will enable future updates to install successfully on all editions of Windows Vista".

However, the Microsoft Vista repair disk you don't have is the problem.

If you purchased a new computer with Windows Vista preinstalled on it, you may have received an actual Windows Vista DVD with your purchase or a Recovery Disk created by the computer’s manufacturer, or maybe your new computer came with a Recovery Partition on the hard disk in lieu of a Recovery Disk. While a Recovery Disk or a Recovery Partition will allow you to restore your computer to the original settings from the manufacturer, chances are you will not be able to use it to repair your Windows Vista installation. For that, you will need an actual Windows Vista DVD that contains the Windows Recovery Environment; without the tools contained in the Windows Recovery Environment, you cannot repair your current installation.

source.
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on…recovery-cd/622

It was available a few days ago, but there is no ISO download for that disk now!

The only remedy left available to you is to use your recovery disk to return the OS to it's factory state or if possible, buy a W7 disk and get away from Vista altogether B)

If you have valuable data on your PC, you will lose all personal data if you have not already backed it up (?)

Data can be rescued though if you want with Puppy Linux and I can let you know how to do that if need be.

Cheers,
Lee
Hi Lee, I was afraid of that. I think moving to Windows 7 is the best idea, but I could use help in getting it installed. Do I buy an upgrade version? Also, there are some pictures I'd like to recover if possible - so would appreciate the help with Puppy Linux. Thanks. Kalshady
There are complete instructions here on how to download (only 100mb) Puppy Linux ISO, burn it to make a bootable disk and how to run Puppy to save your data in this link. http://help.artaro.eu/index.php/windows-7/…ard-disk-7.html

Puppy works by installing into your RAM only, not your HD. Once you have booted to the Puppy desktop, to save your data it basically works like this:

1) At the bottom left of your desktop a list of all hard drives/partitions, USB Drives, and Optical Drives are listed with a familiar looking hard drive icon.
2) Open your old hard drive i.e. sda1
3) Next, open your USB Flash Drive or External Drive. i.e. sdc or sdb1
If you open the wrong drive, simply X out at the top right corner of the window that opens. (Just like in Windows)
4) From your old hard drive, drag and drop whatever files/folders you wish to transfer to your USB Drive's Window.

It might seem strange and nothing like Windows, but saving data is as simple as the above.

A recent Puppy success story saving data from Ron M (just below your post) who's folder saving methods might help.
[attachment removed]

Cheers,
Lee

PS Edit (more info):
Once you have saved your Data and used your factory Recovery Disk to return your system to factory settings, let us know and I will show you how to upgrade to SP1, SP2 and install the Windows Vista download (KB937287) fix that prevents the Vista infinite Reboot Loop fault from happening again. If you wish to go the W7 route, I can also give you some advice there.
Hi Lee! Hooray! Puppy Linux worked fine, and the laptop is now restored to factory original! Lee 1; Vista 0. Would you please start me on the steps for the SP updates to Vista? Thank you! Kalshady
While Lee is snoozing :D I'll chime in.

See here: How to obtain the latest Windows Vista service pack

I would go with Method 3: Obtain the latest Windows Vista service pack from the Microsoft Download Center
Thanks, Ztruker I didn't see any mention of "install the Windows Vista download (KB937287) fix that prevents the Vista infinite Reboot Loop fault from happening again" in the instructions on the link - and I sure don't want to get into that mess again. Can you explain further? Kalshady
The first thing to do is disable Automatic Updates as Lee had you do before. When I have to use a Recovery Disc/Partition to restore a PC, I run PC Decrapifier immediately before installing any Service Packs or Updates, to get rid of any junk software that is installed, including a lot of "Trial" software like MS Office Home/Student, Money, etc. Then I uninstall all Norton/Symantec or McAfee software using their removal tools. Then I install Service Packs 1 and 2. Don't do anything else until those are installed. You should not have any problem with a SP install loop. Once they are done, go to Windows Update via Start / All Programs and install all Important updates. Once that is done, turn on Automatic Updates but set it to Notify but nor download or install, then you can start installing your software and restoring your data.
Hi Rich,

SP 1 for Vista installed fine, but I wasn't so lucky with SP 2. I got a message which reads:

"Installation was not successful. A system error prevented the service pack from installing. Please download and run the "Check for system update readiness" tool at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=122602"

If the "Check for system update readiness" tool doesn't fix the problem, visit the Microsoft website for more information."

The link on the website for the system update readiness tool download didn't work, either.

Thanks for your help.

Kalshady
Hi again, Rich - I managed to get the system update readiness thing from a different Microsoft link. It worked and then I was able to get SP 2 to go. Hooray!!!!!!! Thank you very much for your help! Kalshady

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI