This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows Vista can't update

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

This is a Gateway MX8738 using Windows Vista Home premium 32 bit OS with Service Pack 1. When I try to update it will eventually give a message 'windows could not search for new updates'. Also, the firewall will not turn on. I have tried following a number of solutions (mostly from other WTT users0 and some of the settings may have been changed, but the result is the same. It will not download any updates inclusing the Microsoft.net 3.5 and SP2. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
One possibility is some kind of malware infection, but let's wait a bit before going down that path.

Google yields a lot of hits when I searched for: vista windows could not search for new updates

The first three give several possible fixes including using GPO (Group Policy Editor and editing the registry to remove an entry). If you've not seen them before, look through them and see if anything works for you. If not I'll see what else I can find that may help.
Thanks for getting back to me. I tried to follow some of the methods described on the sites you forwarded. So far no success. Previous to contacting you I ran Malawarebytes (successful on a previous repair through WTT). Found a number of issues and corrected them. Following some other suggestions i ran Microsoft ONECARE and it found no virus/malware etc. Then I tried you. It seems to be an issue with MS Vista (earlier versions, I only have SP2) and have been unable to download SP2 and other updates. I believe the firewall issue is probably connected. Again, thanks for the time and help.
I checked and the " trustedinstaller.exe" is still there. I don't know if deleting and re-installing would help. I also downloaded SP2 on another computer and copied it to a memory stick and then tried to download on this computer and it failed. The error code given is " CO_E_SERVER_EXEC_FAILURE(0x80080005) " Thanks
I found this on one of the threads. Is it something I should try? Carefully perform the following steps to reset the Windows Update component. NOTE: Make sure that all of the commands are entered 'exactly' as shown, including the spaces. 1. Stop the Background Intelligent Transfer Service and the Automatic Updates service. To do this, follow these steps: a. Click Start/All Programs/Accessories. Right click 'Command Prompt' and select 'Run As Administrator'. Click 'Continue' on the UAC prompt. b. At the command prompt, type the following 2 commands, and press ENTER after 'each' command: net stop wuauserv net stop bits 2. Rename the "Catroot2" folder. To do this, follow these steps: Type the following 3 commands, and then press Enter after 'each' command. net stop cryptsvc ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 oldcatroot2 net start cryptsvc 3. Rename the "SoftwareDistribution" folder: Type the following command, and then press Enter. ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old 4. Register the files that are used by Windows Update and Microsoft Update. To do this, follow these steps: a. At the command prompt, type the following 6 commands, pressing ENTER after 'each' command. You should see a 'Success' message after each command. Click OK on these. regsvr32 wuapi.dll regsvr32 wuaueng.dll regsvr32 wucltux.dll regsvr32 wups2.dll regsvr32 wups.dll regsvr32 wuwebv.dll 5. Start the Background Intelligent Transfer Service, the Automatic Updates service, and the Event Log service. To do this, follow these steps: a. At the command prompt, type the following 4 commands, and press ENTER after each command: net start bits net start wuauserv net start Eventlog exit Reboot the computer, wait for a few minutes, and try Windows Update again. Let us know the results. If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster. Ronnie Vernon Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience
I tried the above procedure but the result from the search was the same "windows could not search for updates" . While going through the procedure, when renaming the catroot it reported it could not find the ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 oldcatroot2 . Also when renaming the distribution folder it said it could not find "ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old" or one existed already. Also when starting BITS it said the net start Eventlog service had already been started. Thanks again.
They are probably hidden files so you will have to show hidden (and maybe System) files.

Open Control Panel then Folder Options and click on the View tab.
Select "Show hidden files and folders"
Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"
Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)" (click Yes when prompted)
Click Apply and OK

Now see if you can see the CatRoot2 folder. Copy and paste %systemroot%\System32 into the search bar when you click the Start button and press Enter. That will open Windows Explorer at the System32 folder.
Hey Caymanbfw,

I am presently working on the very same issue with a Vista machine that fails MS Updates, including fails to accept a copy of SP2 that I downloaded with a 2nd machine.

I've tried all the same solutions that you and Ztruker have listed above.
Yes, the general update failure trouble-shooting strategy that you list, is safe, but also not effective for this machine either.
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?s=…st&p=670994

It appears to me that this problem has plagued Vista users for a couple of years.

I have other Vista machines that have never had the problem, but if the problem arises, I have yet to find a solution.

The machine I am presently dealing with is Lenovo T61 with Vista Business SP1 pre-installed.
The Laptop machine runs fine other than the fact that it will not update.
Windows update has been set as fully automatic for the 2 year life of the machine, but very few updates and patches are listed in the update history.
I only get to try to work on it about once every two weeks because the owner is a college student away to college.
They didn't even know there was a problem, except they had seen the Windows Module Installer has Stopped error display, but didn't know what it was about.

The primary symptom that this machine is receiving when MS Update is attempted is:

Windows Module Installer Stopped


When following any of the solutions I've found so far on the internet, the machine eventually displays Errors Found: Code 80080005

I have attempted some of the solutions posted for Error 80080005 with no benefit.

I'll post back if I find anything.
Ztrucker, I did as you said and catroot is there. I guess I should reverse the procedure to re-hide the files? Thanks for the comment Doug. Your description reminds me of exactly what I have been trying. I will be most grateful if you bear me in mind in case you come across something that works. Thanks for all the efforts.
You can re-hide them or not, up to you. I always have all files visible. I don't the OS playing hide and seek with me. I do the same thing with Windows 7.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI