This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

dvd

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello Is the dvd-r, the dvd+r or the dvd plus/minus r the best one to use with a video cam? Sometimes you take some video then want to take more on the same cadrd later. Theen if you have a certain card like 2 or 4 GB which of the above is the best to use? Is there a better way like flash drive? I have an external drive but keep my system images there so did not want to foul it up. I amnew to this obviously. Thank you

Hello
Is the dvd-r, the dvd+r or the dvd plus/minus r the best one to use with a video cam? Sometimes you take some video then want to take more on the same cadrd later. Theen if you have a certain card like 2 or 4 GB which of the above is the best to use? Is there a better way like flash drive?
I have an external drive but keep my system images there so did not want to foul it up.
I amnew to this obviously.
Thank you


Not really sure of the question your asking, are you asking which is the best dvd to record the images to or burning them on the dvd?

Me my recorder is old, yes go ahead and laugh but it uses a flash card. But when I am done I burn all mine to Memorex dvd+rw, I never had any problems with these type of dvd's and really never notice a difference in video quality in the recordings, most time I have the dvd+rw formatted as a disk to drag and drop other recordings or photos to it later for storage and I just wipe the files off the flash card.

I always make extra copies of my dvd in case they get damage or something and plus just in case I have them stored on my pc on another hard drive.

So in your case I not sure if you are asking about the difference of dvd-r / dvd+r, I would have to do some reading up on this to see what the difference is. As I said I am sure other will have some thoughts on this.

Jimbo1
Hi Jimbo No, you did not miss the mark. I was asking how to save the videos I take since they can't stay in the camera forever nor can they stay in the pc either -or they shouldn't. I was thinking of burning some type of disc but was not sure what to use. Everytime I tell someone I like cdrw or dvd rw they laugh at me too. One question, how do you know when you reach the end of the dvd rw? Does it tell you there is no room or is that up to you? Thanx

Hi Jimbo
No, you did not miss the mark.
I was asking how to save the videos I take since they can't stay in the camera forever nor can they stay in the pc either -or they shouldn't.
I was thinking of burning some type of disc but was not sure what to use. Everytime I tell someone I like cdrw or dvd rw they laugh at me too.
One question, how do you know when you reach the end of the dvd rw? Does it tell you there is no room or is that up to you?
Thanx


  • I was asking how to save the videos I take since they can't stay in the camera forever nor can they stay in the pc either -or they shouldn't.
    Ok good to know, Me I copy mine over to the hard drive of the pc and then when I am done copying or burning the files to my DVD+RW, I then delete them from my camera.
  • I was thinking of burning some type of disc but was not sure what to use. Every time I tell someone I like cdrw or dvd rw they laugh at me too.
    Well maybe they laugh because they do not know what to do or do not care about saving their pictures or movies, who knows.
  • One question, how do you know when you reach the end of the dvd rw? Does it tell you there is no room or is that up to you?
    This is why I used the DVD+RW as lets say a floppy disk or big storage disk, I can copy or drag as many files I can to update that dvd. Yes once it reached it's limited space it will tell you not enough room to perform the action. I like the DVD for this reason, the DVD last long and if you ever lose the hard drive or deleted the files, you still can copy them off the DVD.

Hope this helps a little, once I have read up on the +r / -r I will get back to you, I think it has something to do with attributes of the disk, once burn on a dvd r thats it and if you have a lot more space on that disk it gets wasted. I may be wrong here but once you burn to a read only disk, thats it, if you want to add more to it, all it will end up doing is overwrite what was burned already. So this is why I use a DVD-RW, to add as needed by just copying or draging what I need over to it.

Jimbo1
I agree with the use of the rw and I have both the cd-rw and the cd+ rw. I don't know which I should use or maybe both are ok. Thanx for the help.

I agree with the use of the rw and I have both the cd-rw and the cd+ rw.
I don't know which I should use or maybe both are ok.
Thanx for the help.


Np, I see you said cd-rw not on cd's you can only get up to about 700 mb of storage, now if you have a dvd burner then you can get up to 3.9 gb of storage, this depends of what you have.

Jimbo1
I meant to say dvd-rw and dvd+ rw. I also have the same in cds but would use the dvds for more room. 5 GB vs 760 MB I think. Is it the plus or minus you use?

I meant to say dvd-rw and dvd+ rw. I also have the same in cds but would use the dvds for more room. 5 GB vs 760 MB I think.
Is it the plus or minus you use?

I have been using the +rw ones and so far never had any issues with them.

I meant to say dvd-rw and dvd+ rw. I also have the same in cds but would use the dvds for more room. 5 GB vs 760 MB I think.
Is it the plus or minus you use?

I have been using the +rw ones and so far never had any issues with them.



>Thanx a lot

I meant to say dvd-rw and dvd+ rw. I also have the same in cds but would use the dvds for more room. 5 GB vs 760 MB I think.
Is it the plus or minus you use?

I have been using the +rw ones and so far never had any issues with them.



>Thanx a lot


No problem Peter1, was very glad to help and may you have a Blessed Day.

Jimbo1

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI