This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Burn a DVD Question

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello. I have XP Pro. I have Nero Express. I would like help in learning how to burn a DVD. I currently have a video file to burn to it. It is an ISO file. I'm not sure what that is. Anyway, this is a fan created movie for the game Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Fans have made this KOTOR Movie and you can take the file and make a DVD out of it. It is in ISO format. It is one ISO file and its about 4GB. I've never burnt a DVD before. I'd like help to burn it using Nero Express. Can you walk me through of how to do this? I have a CD and a DVD drive. I also have a tube of CD-RW discs. I hope these discs are appropriate for this. Which do I insert the CD-RWs into, teh CD, or the DVD drive? Thanks.
Hi Toruser,

I have never done that either, but do have Nero.

I googled it for you so here is a start. I got the link from here. The Youtube link looks interesting.

Keep us posted with your progress.

Kind regards, and a Happy New Year to you.
You guys wanted an update. Well I researched a little more about ISO files. What they are is images of a disc that someone else did and uploaded to the net. And when you download them you cannot simply burn it to a disc, regardless if you have a program that burns iso files. You need something called a dvd decrypter. After getting one I found that in order to burn a iso dvd info you need of course a dvd in tha dvds have more sectors of space on them than cd-rws. So I now know I need to go out and get a dvd disc to do this process. If you guys want, I can give you guys the link to the dvd decrypter so you know what this program is. Directions to use it. After installing it go to mode and change the mode to iso and then select write. Then select the destination folder or path where the file is. Then select the area where your dvd disc is. Then press wite. And your done. You can play it on the computer or play it on a dvd player.
Hi toruser,

What they are is images of a disc that someone else did and uploaded to the net.

Exactly, they are images of disks. This do not have to be an image that is uploaded on the net. You can also make images of your hard drive or of your own DVDs just to back them up.

After getting one I found that in order to burn a iso dvd info you need of course a dvd in tha dvds have more sectors of space on them than cd-rws. So I now know I need to go out and get a dvd disc to do this process.

ISOs of CDs also exist. Like you said, the difference is in the size. CDs can carry about 700 MB of information and DVDs can carry about 4000 or 5000 MB. So if the ISO file is about 700 MB it probably used to be a CD and if it is a couple of GB (1000 MB) it should be burned to a DVD.

If you guys want, I can give you guys the link to the dvd decrypter so you know what this program is. Directions to use it. After installing it go to mode and change the mode to iso and then select write. Then select the destination folder or path where the file is. Then select the area where your dvd disc is. Then press wite. And your done. You can play it on the computer or play it on a dvd player.

I do not really know what you mean by a DVD decrypter. There are applications that create (an) imaginary disk drive(s) on your system and are able to mount ISO files. The most used is Daemon Tools:
http://www.daemon-tools.cc/
With this program you could, like I already said, virtually put the ISOs in the imaginary disk drive and then play the movie on your computer.

There are also applications that can burn ISOs to CDs and DVDs. Most modern burning software (like Nero) can do this very easily. One very nice and little burning program that is designed to just burn ISOs is isorecorder:
http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm
Here are quick instructions:

Watch the versions, v1 is for doing the burn on an XP SP1 system, v2 for XP SP2 and SP3. After you download the file, right click on it, and choose Install from the context menu. That will install the .iso burner. You may need to reboot.

After that, navigate to the .iso file, right click on it and there will be a new context menu item called something like "Copy file to CD". Use that, and it will correctly burn the .iso file for you.

These ISO burning programs will burn a DVD so that it can be played in any DVD player (so also your computer).

Please let us know if you have any other questions regarding this or if you do not understand certain parts.

Regards,
John.
Yeah the ISO is 4.6GB. What it is is a movie of a rpg star wars game. And this is only episode 1. Yeah the cd had about 6 digits of sectors available. The required for the iso image was 7 digit number. So yeah your right I'm going to have to get a dvd or a tube of them like I have a tube of the cd-rws and burn this. Yeah I don't realy know much more than what you have said about the dvd decrypter. All I know is its needed for this particular iso. Anyway, thanks again.
Dvd Decrypter is used to circumvent restrictions on dvd movies that you buy from the market. It is not needed in this case. All you do is insert a dvd in the dvd drive then call up Nero and click on Burn Image then navigate to the ISO and you are done. It will take about 20 minutes of actual burning and then veryfing the burnt image.
But are you sure you actually have a DVD burner and not just a reader? This is very important as it will not work in a DVD reader.
Hello toruser,

From what I gather I think you just want to know how to burn an iso image.

For a tutorial on how to do this using nero please visit here

However, there are specialized programs to burn iso images too. One such is alcohol 120% which I use regularly.
You can get the trial version from here.
For a tutorial on how to burn images using alcohol 120% please visit the link here.

Just make use that you have to burn the present image on a dvd.

I hope these links help you out :)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI