This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

Vhs to Dvd capturing. What do you recommend?

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

I'm saving up my money for so that I can start to convert vhs tapes to dvds. I have been researching methods on how to convert vhs to dvds. I can't afford a $150-200 video capture card. (Are they the best though? Maybe you can recommend a lower cost card that works well and tell me what you use.) I found a usb capture card on amazon.com that is rated ok. Here is the link. Tell me what you think. I also found another capping system here. Tell me what you think about that one too.

I also heard that one hour of footage can take up 12-14 gigs of space! My question is what do you use to make it 700 mb or so for about a 2 hour file as I have seen? And what is the best software to use for capturing? I saw some on this website here.

As you can see I'm a beginner and know very little. Please be as thorough as you can in the recommendations you provide. Give step by step info and weblinks with your information. You can treat me like a total newbie because essentially that's what I am. :)

Well thanks for any help you can provide on this. If you can't provide any info, please recommend some people who can. :) :popcorn:
Hi Leader,

The cheapest method to convert VHS to DVD is by connecting the recorder to a digital video camcorder and then transferring the capture to your PC to copy to DVD. All that is needed is the correct VHS to Video camcorder cable available at any electronics store.

http://www.howtodothings.com/electronics/a…vhs-to-dvd.html

Please remember that bypassing copyright protection is illegal, so the above link does not provide any advice in that dark area and nor is it offered here I'm afraid.

Cheers,
Lee

Hi Leader,

The cheapest method to convert VHS to DVD is by connecting the recorder to a digital video camcorder and then transferring the capture to your PC to copy to DVD. All that is needed is the correct VHS to Video camcorder cable available at any electronics store.

http://www.howtodothings.com/electronics/a…vhs-to-dvd.html

Please remember that bypassing copyright protection is illegal, so the above link does not provide any advice in that dark area and nor is it offered here I'm afraid.

Cheers,
Lee


Hi Lee and thanks for your reply. I would prefer not to use a digital video camcorder for this. I would rather use usb card or other capture device if possible. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Hi leader 2, I think this may be the sort of thing you are looking for
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/82615
I have seen similar products available from about £10 (GBP) or say $15 (USD)
I have provided the link for information only, you must check everything out carefully to see if it's suitable for all your requirements etc.
Regards
paws

Hi leader 2, I think this may be the sort of thing you are looking for
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/82615
I have seen similar products available from about £10 (GBP) or say $15 (USD)
I have provided the link for information only, you must check everything out carefully to see if it's suitable for all your requirements etc.
Regards
paws


Thanks for that recommendation paws. On their website it said that that version of the DVD Maker isn't compatible with Windows 7. Do you know of some hardware that is compatible with Vista and Windows 7? Thanks.

Hi leader 2, I think this may be the sort of thing you are looking for
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/82615
I have seen similar products available from about £10 (GBP) or say $15 (USD)
I have provided the link for information only, you must check everything out carefully to see if it's suitable for all your requirements etc.
Regards
paws


Thanks for that recommendation paws. On their website it said that that version of the DVD Maker isn't compatible with Windows 7. Do you know of some hardware that is compatible with Vista and Windows 7? Thanks.

The newer version of this product, found by a google search shows.. here, under 'system requirements' tab, that it supports Windows7.
I hope this helps. :thumbup: