Hello
My current Dell Studio XPS 8100 is being replaced with a new Studio XPS 8300.
Curently my machine uses DVD-R and DVD+RW and will not support other formats.
Should I expect to buy new discs when the other pc arrives?
I do not know what determines the type of disc that will work.
I tried others like DVD-RW which said to use the plus not minus. I was using Roxio but even with Windows I was unable to use the DVD-RW.
I know Sony and other companies make these drives and apparently they vary.
I use flash drives and othe rremovable media but on aoccasion have need for the DVD-R and DVD+ RW. I had a lot of use for the cd +-rw over the years but things are changing.
I read the DVD+RW is more expenvive and not used as much and wonder if it is because all this so new?How does one determine which discs to buy - trial and error with small amounts?
Thank you
Peter
I can't say if you need different disks without knowing the exact spec of the old drive, and the new drive, but in my experience they are more than often able to write to both + and - formats, but in simple terms the drive is what dictates the type of disk required, but there are several factors that can make a difference in a good burn.
I am not certain about the exactness of how the + and - format came about, I suspect it may have been similar to the difference between VHS and Betamax, but someone may know better, but the difference in whats best is closing, back in the day it was always advised to get the - format disks, they had the greatest chance on working on any device, where the + format would not play on any old player, it was very finicky about what it would work with, unlike the - format, but I believe players these days are more likely to accept the + format, more than previous anyway, but I must admit I still stick with the - format to cover myself.
Should that not be enough, there are good and bad makes of disks as well, some seem to have no problem no matter what disk they use, BUT, some find that only a few specific brands seem to be best for them, so there is no clear cut answer, as there are factors that can vary between each situation, so the best advice is research the disks before buying, you will find a few select brands constantly being recommended, as they are well known for working well for the vast majority, but ultimately it is trial and error, get a small number of disks for testing (maybe ask mates to borrow or see a couple of they're different brands, then you will find out whats best for you, hope this helps a bit anyway.
Hello
I agree that getting a small amount of discs is prudent. Technology is changing so fast that instead of universality we have specifics. This generates a lot of cash for disc companies.
In about a month I will post back about my findings.
I noticed that the company listed in device manage was "standard". I used to see a company like Sony.
This Win 7 x64 is making me do a lot of homework for sure.
I only need Staples dvd+rw to test all on the new machine when it arrives and I return home.
Thank you for taking the time.
Peter
Hi, the name of the drive being reported may be influenced by the system itself, often a system simply reports an Atapi drive, rather than the make it actually is, but the disks go deeper than just the drive, many disks may work well on the drive, BUT, that does not mean they will work in another device, this is\was most notable with the + format disks, which is why many stick to the - format disks (like myself).
Generally speaking Datawrite and Verbatim brands are highly regarded, I also use Infiniti disks without issue, and I don't hesitate to get either brand as they have prov-en themselves to work fine in pretty much everything you do or need, Taio Yuden are regarded as the best, but they are very expensive when compared, so are not worth the extra for the vast majority, but research the brand and see if they have any known issues, such as other devices not recognising them etc, hope this helps a bit anyway.
Hi
When I tried to burn, a message came thru saying the following formats are supported and dvd-r-w was not, but dvd+ rw was.
My other machine was funny in its compatibility too.
At least the recovery discs burn ok with the Staples dvd-r. The plus did not work.
Changing machines is almost as difficult as changing wives, notice I said almost.
That is why this one and I have been a couple for 42 years.
That is why this one and I have been a couple for 42 years.
And I thought I was a lifer lol (we went silver the other year), good going anyway, you must be right for each other.
But as to the drive, there is one option, you could just buy one that can handle numerous formats, rather than struggle to find media to work with what you have, they are so cheap these days it may be the better option for you perhaps ?
That is why this one and I have been a couple for 42 years.
And I thought I was a lifer lol (we went silver the other year), good going anyway, you must be right for each other.
But as to the drive, there is one option, you could just buy one that can handle numerous formats, rather than struggle to find media to work with what you have, they are so cheap these days it may be the better option for you perhaps ?
>>The machine is going back for another - malfunctions etc.
Thank you anyway for the help.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI