This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Computer Sounds Like It's Working Harder

8 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I'm not getting any error messages… except for the fact that sometimes my computer will freeze from time to time and reset itself. I feel it's running unstable and I haven't upgraded any hardware. I feel as though it could perform better. It sounds like it's always "humming" or processing things in the background. Can anyone help me out? Any steps I should take? I like to get the computer running optimal.

There is no malware present. Here is the link from the other forum.

Post From Other Forum

I'm not getting any error messages… except for the fact that sometimes my computer will freeze from time to time and reset itself. I feel it's running unstable and I haven't upgraded any hardware. I feel as though it could perform better. It sounds like it's always "humming" or processing things in the background. Can anyone help me out? Any steps I should take? I like to get the computer running optimal.

There is no malware present. Here is the link from the other forum.

Post From Other Forum



Hi TC,

Let us know what brand and model your PC is please.

In the meantime, lets do a little bit of housekeeping as it's sounds like you are having a bit of a resource overload going on.

1. Start / run / copy and paste %temp% and press enter, a folder will open / edit /select all / delete.
Now Delete them all from the recycle bin.

2. Start / programs / accessories / system tools / disk cleanup / ok

3. right click my computer / properties / advanced / in the "performance" menu choose settings / advanced / in virtual memory menu click on change button / choose the drive in which windows is installed / in the initial size column enter 512 / in the maximum size enter 1024 / click on "set" / apply / ok

4. Reboot

5. Start / my computer / right click on c: drive / properties / tools / click defragment now / a window will open click defragment.

Cheers,
Lee
Thanks Lee! I did all you asked me to. Some of the temp files could not be erased? System claims they were being in use… and I couldn't delete them. I believe there were about 6-7 temp files being used? HP Pavilion Custom Made Model d4000 PX181AV#ABA Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Verison 2002 Service Pack 2 Intel Pentium D 3.20 GHz 2 GB RAM 500 GB Hard Drive
I would do some internal housecleaning too - make sure the case interior is clean of heat trapping dust and that all fans are spinning. For more specifics, as JC noted, we need specifics of your system.
Next step.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/default.asp

Please Run the PCPitstop Full Tests (it's the Overdrive test you want), here: PCPitstop Full Tests

You must use Internet Explorer as it needs to install an ActiveX program.

Note: Vista/Windows 7 users with UAC must first Right-click IE - Select "Run as Administrator"

If you haven't already registered, Click - Sign up now! (left hand column in User Login)

Register and create a password
Accept the ActiveX component to allow your machine to run the Full Tests
Registering and accepting the ActiveX are both SAFE and FREE.

The Full Tests take less than 5 minutes for most machines.

Once you have your Results, please post the URL (the http:// stuff) back here into this thread for review.

Note: Vista/Windows 7 users, please close your instance of IE "Running as Administrator" after you are finished reviewing your Results.

Caution: During the testing of Video Adapter, a variety of patterns, shapes, colors and text are “flashed” onto the users monitor screen. In the many thousands of daily uses of the PCPitstop Full Tests over several years, two individuals who suffer epilepsy experienced discomfort and temporary dizziness when viewing the flashing patterns.

If you know that you are susceptible to photo driven seizure, please look away from your screen during the Video Adapter testing sequence.

Note: The PCPitstop Full Tests Results is a free service, but is supported by various paid product advertisements for utilities that "could" remedy the OP's problem.

Since this site is a "free-help" forum, we do not recommend or endorse purchase of automated utilities, and will assist you in manually correcting any problems and settings necessary to optimize your machine's performance. Ask your questions here. We'll help you walk through any necessary steps.


———————————————————————
canned instructions courtesy of Rich (thanks Rich)
———————————————————————

Cheers,
Lee
You have enough RAM and a great CPU, but obviously you have a few problems here. Bottom 46% :smack:
[attachment removed]


Did you bother following the instructions of my second last post?

Going by the PC pitstop results, I don't think so. Please do so now T.C. Follow my past instructions to clean out the junk and free up a bit of your PC resources:

Let us know what brand and model your PC is please.

In the meantime, lets do a little bit of housekeeping as it's sounds like you are having a bit of a resource overload going on.

1. Start / run / copy and paste %temp% and press enter, a folder will open / edit /select all / delete.
Now Delete them all from the recycle bin.

2. Start / programs / accessories / system tools / disk cleanup / ok

3. right click my computer / properties / advanced / in the "performance" menu choose settings / advanced / in virtual memory menu click on change button / choose the drive in which windows is installed / in the initial size column enter 512 / in the maximum size enter 1024 / click on "set" / apply / ok

4. Reboot

5. Start / my computer / right click on c: drive / properties / tools / click defragment now / a window will open click defragment.


If you have any problems with these instructions, please let me know and I will simplify them.
Could you then do another Pitstop test and post the link here thanks.

Cheers,
Lee

PS Edit:
Let me know if there is any noticeable difference in your PC's performance after the clean-up.
Lee I explained to you before that quite a few temp files WILL NOT DELETE. The computer says something is running causing the file not to be deleted. Here is the list: ~DF395B.tmp ~DF417F.tmp ~DF802C.tmp ~DF838D.tmp ~DF857C.tmp ~DF1992.tmp ~DF5056.tmp ~DF5277.tmp ~DF8044.tmp ~DF8141.tmp ~DF8159.tmp ~DF8280.tmp ~DF8413.tmp ~DF8556.tmp ~DFAAA0.tmp ~DFB741.tmp ~DFBC2E.tmp ~DFC713.tmp ~DFD3C7.tmp ~DFD38F.tmp ~DFD44B.tmp ~DFD47F.tmp ~DFD50B.tmp ~DFD531.tmp ~DFE8CE.tmp ~DFE8E6.tmp ~DFE16B.tmp ~DFE79A.tmp ~DFE82E.tmp ~DFEA4C.tmp ~DFEA08.tmp hpodvd09.txt What should I do?
Don't worry about them as the temp files clean out only removes files not being used. Just run Disk clean-up for the moment which has nothing to do with your "temp. files". I'm in OZ so our time zones are out. I'm knocking off the PC for tonight, but I'll have a good look at your PC pitstop results first thing in the morning and work out what might be causing problems. Cheers, Lee :thumbup:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/sec.asp?conid=24459026

I have noticed that when I listen to songs using Windows Media Player… the computer restarts or locks up almost every time.


Sounds like you need to free up your resources.

If you haven't done so already, make sure all you personal data, including email and browser bookmarks are saved to removable media.

I note that you have a lot of pre-installed HP bloatware and a lot of items you have installed yourself, especially media software. I'm sure you could start getting rid of some software you don't need.
Naturally I don't know what software you are regularly using, but all PC's reach a point when resources become choked and your PC starts to dramaticly slow down and even shuts down, especially if a lot of installed software is in the startup menu.

These items should definately be removed:
PC-Doctor 5 for Windows
Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer (avoid all add-on toolbars as they are a security risk)
Windows Live Essentials (often causes problems in XP and is not needed).
Windows Live Upload Tool
Microsoft Plus! Digital Media Edition Installer
Easy Internet Sign-up (HP)
HP Software Update (3.0.6.002)
HP Boot Optimizer (responible for cramming your startup menu with HP software every time you boot)

Do you need these two?
InterVideo WinDVD Player
Creative MediaSource (3.00)


Most, if not all of this Hewlett-Packard bloatware could be removed:

Bookworm Deluxe from Hewlett-Packard Desktops (remove only) WildTangent
Barnyard Invasion from Hewlett-Packard Desktops (remove only) WildTangent
Blackhawk Striker 2 from Hewlett-Packard Desktops (remove only) WildTangent
Boggle Supreme from Hewlett-Packard Desktops (remove only) WildTangent
FATE Demo from Hewlett-Packard Desktops (remove only) WildTangent
SCRABBLE Rack Attack from Hewlett-Packard Desktops (remove only) WildTangent
Shrek 2 Ogre Bowler from Hewlett-Packard Desktops (remove only) WildTangent
Bejeweled 2 Deluxe from Hewlett-Packard Desktops (remove only) WildTangent
Blasterball 2 from Hewlett-Packard Desktops (remove only) WildTangent
SCRABBLE Blast from Hewlett-Packard Desktops (remove only) WildTangent
Swarm from Hewlett-Packard Desktops (remove only) WildTangent
Polar Golfer from Hewlett-Packard Desktops (remove only) WildTangent
Blasterball 2 Holidays from Hewlett-Packard Desktops (remove only) WildTangent
Puzzle Express from Hewlett-Packard Desktops (remove only) WildTangent
Slingo Deluxe from Hewlett-Packard Desktops (remove only) WildTangent
Slyder from Hewlett-Packard Desktops (remove only) WildTangent
Creative MuVo N200 Media Explorer
Bounce Symphony from Hewlett-Packard Desktops (remove only) WildTangent
SCRABBLE from Hewlett-Packard Desktops (remove only) WildTangent
Crystal Maze from Hewlett-Packard Desktops (remove only) WildTangent
Digby's Donuts from Hewlett-Packard Desktops (remove only) WildTangent
Tradewinds from Hewlett-Packard Desktops (remove only)
HP Document Viewer 5.3 HP
HP Game Console and games WildTangent
HP Imaging Device Functions 5.3 HP
HP Image Zone (5.3) HP
HP Solution Center & Imaging Support Tools 5.3
Updates from HP (remove only)

As for other installed software, you need to decide what you really need and uninstall the rest.

For the best uninstall results, please download Revo uninstaller. Just click on the link in my signature at the bottom of this page.

After this software cleanup you need to defrag. your hard drive and we can then look at what is still in your start-up menu after the above program removals.

Cheers,
Lee

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI