Hi, I have been experiencing problems with my computer lately that makes it hard to use. Whenever I'm using my computer, it will just randomly freeze up. Doing some things make it freeze up faster such as watching videos or playing games. When watching videos on youtube or using a program on my computer such as media player, the computer will freeze anytime from 10 sec to a minute. It seems that no matter what im doing, then the computer will eventually freeze up. Most of the time, the program running will freeze and I cannot use ctrl-alt-delete to end it, but the task bar will still appear to work usually until I click something on it. Most of the time my computer will just freeze up completely and will be silent but sometimes a long continuous beep will come from inside of the machine. Either way, I am forced to hold down the power button until it shuts off and then I will just restart it. This has never happend before and I dont know what to do. PLEASE HELP!!
Thanks!
I cleaned out my computer last week without any luck. I do clean it pretty regularly and have never had this problem before. I just went through a lengthy computer clean up with the Safer Networking forums so I know this problem is most likely not from a virus, here is that link if you want to take a look:
Are you aware of and or familiar with the Dell Diagnostic Tools and have you run them?
You might also check your Event Viewer:
To discover the type of Errors the machine has encountered recently, use Event Viewer.
Go to Start - Run, type eventvwr.msc, then Press Enter.
When the Event Viewer opens, there will be two panes.
The left pane is for event categories (Application, Security, and System).
The right pane is for event messages (Information, Warning, and Error). (We want to find errors.)
Left-click the Application category in the left pane and check for any error messages in the right pane, they will be in RED.
You want to find the one(s) that occurred at the same time your system encountered the problem you have posted about.
Repeat the previous step for each category, or until you find an appropriate error to investigate.
Double-click the error message to bring up the information.
Click the third button on the right side of the information window
Paste the information here
Additional KB information from Microsoft:
Additional information to help interpret Error and Warning Event Types: http://www.eventid.net/
And also check out DXDIAG from start > Run… > DXDIAG > Display
Thanks for the reply
1. I am not familiar with the Dell Diagnostic Tools and I don't think I have run them.
2. I checked my event viewer and the only thing that might be a part of this is application hang:
Hanging application firefox.exe, version 1.9.0.3474, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.
This may also be part of it (though explorer didn't crash):
Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.5512, faulting module xvid.ax, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0003dd11.
3. The 3D tests were successful
When I try to download Dell Diagnostics with the link then it downloads DellDriverDownloadManager.application when I click it, an empty window comes up and an error pops up and says:
There are no files to download. Please go to drivers and downloads to select files.
Any ideas of what I need to do?
Thanks
1. Click the Download Now link to download the file.
2. When the File Download window appears, click Save to save the file to your hard drive.
Extract Files
1. Browse to the location where you downloaded the file and double-click the new file to unzip the download package
2. Click Continue.
3. Specify the location to unzip the files.
4. Click on the OK button to extract files.
After the files are extracted the message all files were successfully unzipped will appear.
5. Click the OK button to exit from the installer.
Alright I'm having some trouble finding out how to download this correctly because I already chose "Download through Dell" instead of "Download via your Internet Browser" and it is not giving me the option anymore. How do you change it once I have already chosen the other option?
thanks
What browser are you using?
Do you know how to clear the History & Cookies?
Also just to ask: do you have the Dell CD's?
The Driver/Application CD has this program on it.
I am using Firefox 3.0.12
I do know how to clear history and cookies (Sorry i didn't think to do this.. I got it to download via Browser.)
And no, the CD's were lost when I moved