This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Difficult to start computer; then freezes and crashes

34 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello. I wonder if someone can advise me please. It is difficult to start my computer. Press the "on" button, but rather than the usual brief fan noise, beep, then boot up coupled with quiet humming sound, the fan blows like mad, and there's a regular click, every two seconds or so, but nothing else. Sometimes, after a period of between 20 seconds and many minutes, "beep", and it boots up normally (fan stops at this point). Other times, it will not kick in, no matter how long I leave it. It also has a problem when it's running. All seems fine, but then it seems to become confused when, for example, I ask it to do a task when it's already busy. Then it freezes, and after a few seconds the screen goes blank apart from a brief "no signal" message, or occasionally "mode not supported". Usually there are no signs of life, and I have to press and hold the "on" switch to switch the machine off completely. After such an episode, it is difficult to start again (see above). Sometimes I get the error message: STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER on other occasions I get nothing. I've tried to download two suggested items from Microsoft Update to fix the above (Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1 SERVICEPACK, and Office XP Service Pack 3), but the latter is too big for my download speed. Would these really solve the problem. Can I buy them from the store? The nice folk at Suggestfix helped me through all sorts of things, and bear bottoms suggested I send this to you. All wondered if it's a hard drive problem. But I downloaded HDD health, which showed no problem with the HD. (Hard drive number is ST3160023AS. Prediction’s precision is 25 percent. "There are no known problems with this hard drive") Made a HJT log in safe mode. With advice, I deleted some items. Then, I: Ran CW Shredder Ran Ewido Anti-spyware , nothing found. Had defragmented my files just a few days before. BUT I am still having the same problems. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give. Graham
Sorry. HJT log below. Thanks.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 15:14:00, on 24/08/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\FICHIE~1\AOL\ACS\AOLacsd.exe
C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe
C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\slserv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\ALCWZRD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Virtual CD v4 SDK\system\vcssecs.exe
C:\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
C:\Apps\Powercinema\PCMService.exe
C:\apps\ABoard\ABoard.exe
C:\apps\ABoard\AOSD.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Wanadoo\TaskbarIcon.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Virtual CD v4 SDK\system\vcsplay.exe
C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\ewido.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
C:\Apps\EZHome\EZStatus.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\Program Files\Larousse\Encyclopédie Universelle Larousse\bin\hyperappel.exe
C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare Software\bin\EasyShare.exe
C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\Kodak Software Updater.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqgalry.exe
C:\Program Files\microsoft office\office10\WINWORD.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Wanadoo\EspaceWanadoo.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Wanadoo\ComComp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Wanadoo\Watch.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\slrundll.exe
C:\Program Files\HDD Health\hddhealth.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\G&T\Mes documents\HJT\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.wanadoo.fr/go/page_recherche/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.wanadoo.fr
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = file://C:\APPS\IE\offline\fr.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Wanadoo
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName = Liens
R3 - URLSearchHook: Search Class - {08C06D61-F1F3-4799-86F8-BE1A89362C85} - C:\PROGRA~1\Wanadoo\SEARCH~1.DLL
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Web assistant - {9ECB9560-04F9-4bbc-943D-298DDF1699E1} - C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Web assistant - {0B53EAC3-8D69-4b9e-9B19-A37C9A5676A7} - C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Raccourci vers la page des propriétés de High Definition Audio] HDAudPropShortcut.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AlcWzrd] ALCWZRD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [URLLSTCK.exe] C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\UrlLstCk.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "c:\Apps\Powercinema\PCMService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ACTIVBOARD] c:\apps\ABoard\ABoard.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WooCnxMon] C:\PROGRA~1\Wanadoo\CnxMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WOOWATCH] C:\PROGRA~1\Wanadoo\Watch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WOOTASKBARICON] C:\PROGRA~1\Wanadoo\TaskbarIcon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VCSPlayer] "C:\Program Files\Virtual CD v4 SDK\system\vcsplay.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CleanEasyImg] c:\apps\easydvd\cleanall.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpywareBot] C:\Program Files\SpywareBot\SpywareBot.exe -boot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!ewido] "C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\ewido.exe" /minimized
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [EzStatus] C:\Apps\EZHome\EZStatus.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [HDDHealth] C:\Program Files\HDD Health\HDDHealth.exe -wl
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Démarrage rapide du logiciel HP Image Zone.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqthb08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Hyperappel de l'Encyclopédie Universelle Larousse.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Kodak EasyShare software.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare Software\bin\EasyShare.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Kodak software updater.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\Kodak Software Updater.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\microsoft office\office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\bin\npjpi142_05.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Console Java (Sun) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\bin\npjpi142_05.dll
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messager Wanadoo - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\WANADO~1\Wanadoo Messager.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messager Wanadoo - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\WANADO~1\Wanadoo Messager.exe
O9 - Extra button: Wanadoo - {1462651F-F4BA-4C76-A001-C4284D0FE16E} - http://www.wanadoo.fr (file missing) (HKCU)
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=file://C:\APPS\IE\offline\fr.htm
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{C542CE24-59E9-42BE-A7F6-2ECAD3E86A42}: NameServer = 80.10.246.5 80.10.246.136
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\FICHIE~1\AOL\ACS\AOLacsd.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Proxy (ccProxy) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: ewido anti-spyware 4.0 guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe
O23 - Service: Kodak Camera Connection Software (KodakCCS) - Eastman Kodak Company - C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\KodakCCS.exe
O23 - Service: MysqlInventime - Unknown owner - c:\mysql\bin\mysqld-nt.exe
O23 - Service: Service Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\FICHIE~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: SmartLinkService (SLService) - - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\slserv.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Sony SPTI Service (SPTISRV) - Sony Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\FICHIE~1\SONYSH~1\AVLib\Sptisrv.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
O23 - Service: Virtual CD v4 Security service (SDK - Version) (VCSSecS) - H+H Software GmbH - C:\Program Files\Virtual CD v4 SDK\system\vcssecs.exe
Starting a new application, when another application is running, or starting an operation inside of an application before the application is completely loaded can cause problems like "freezing". The above seems "counter-intuitive" because, afterall, the machine does say Window(s) and not a singular Window. We're supposed to be able to "multi-task". But on low resource machines, this type of problem frequently occurs. The process of "loading" an application program may consume so much of the CPU cycles and RAM resources, that if the owner/user clicks to start another application before the first one has completed, the machine "freezes". Typical of this is "printing" especially with Parallel port connected printers. They just consumes so much resources (especially during spooling) that the machine can't respond to additional tasks. (This may not be your problem (printer), I'm just using "printer" to illustrate my point) So tell us about your machine. Brand, CPU, amount of RAM, Hard Drive(s) size, Free Space on Hard Drive, operating system, Video Card, peripherals, primary usage, (like gaming, media editing, office tasks and internet browsing only, etc.) Best Regards
To get to Device Manager: Right Click on My Computer - Select Properties - Hardware(Tab) - click on Device Manager(button) Scroll through the listed devices. You are looking for any yellow or red flags placed in front of Devices or their Drivers. Let us know what you find. Best Regards
You have a "ton" of applications starting at Boot.
Many of them are useless "autoupdaters" for programs that don't autoupdate very often, or that you may not even use anymore.

Consider "disabling" as much as you can in your StartUp file.
What's SAFE to turn-off (disable) here's a valuable reference: http://www.AnswersThatWork.com

Start - Run - (type) MSCONFIG - Enter - StartUp(tab)
This will display a list of your applications and processes that start to run active (and consume resources immediately when you turn your machine on.)

You can actually turn-off most of that stuff, with the exceptions of your Antivirus and Firewall.
Don't worry. If you want an item back, you can go back to MSCONFIG and turn-on (enable) the item again.
In most cases, you can also "use" an application, even though you disabled it from starting at boot time, just by manually clicking on the program Icon or the program's XXXX.exe file in C:\Windows\Program Files
Noted Exceptions: You will have to use MSCONFIG to "enable" your printer and scanner before your machine will even recognize that you have them. So you can't just run a Printer or Scanner manually if you "disable" it in MSCONFIG. Still, it might save you a ton of resources to disable a Scanner, if you don't use it very often, consider it.

Best Regards
BearBottoms, I am not a HJT Expert, and I do not presume to Analyze HJT. In fact, unless I complete my supervised training, I am specifically "prohibited" from giving HJT Analysis assistance to Members here. I have not, therefore I do not. While there is no reason to suspect malware infection at this point in our "other computer problems" assistance to Massifnature, he is welcome to post his HJT Log over in our Malware Removal Forum for Expert Assistance. That said, it is possible to notice quite a few "running processes" and 04 entries that are not essential for running of the Operating System. I am merely noting that (at the Windows Operating System and applications level) some of the running processes (like auto=updaters and background processes) can cause a huge load on CPU cycles and RAM resources with a resulting "lag" or "freeze" experienced by the owner/user. I apologize if my comment mislead the reader to believe that I presume to know anything at all about HJT analysis. Best Regards
Okay guys, thank you for your advice tonight (2330 here), I'm afraid my head is becoming frazzled! I have been unable to find "device manager", everything is in the french language on my computer! I will try again tomorrow. Cheers, Graham
Take is easy Massifnature. This Forum will still be here tomorrow and the following days, with plenty of Members available to provide follow-up if needed. I gave you a ton of ideas to consider. I have no expectation that you should be able to immediately follow-up on all of it instantly. Take your time. Best Regards Doug P.S. BearBottoms – Old is good, right? Afterall, I'm "old" too. :P
I'm still here, couldn't sleep anyway with all of this going on! My machine is a Packard Bell Ixtreme Gold, HDD© drive has 144Go capacity, of which 118Go is still free. DATA(D) has 149Go capacity, of which 148Go is still free. I run Windows XP (family). What's a video card? Peripherals, I only have a printer (HP PSC 1610 printer/scanner/copier). Where do I find the RAM? Graham

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI