This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
What the Tech Community

Hello My Fellow Geeks!

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Hello all, Just like the name says, I too, am an aspiring geek! Yes, its true. I have a not-so-secret love of Star Wars, Jolt Colas and a good patch of somebody else's code to dork out on! But alas, I am yet a young padawan and most of my experience is in web front-end work, not routine PC maintenance (although it should be..duh) so here I am coming to seek advice from my fellow geeks! So please, I'm eager to learn and willing to listen, just please, try to be patient with me since I'm just now finally trying to brush up on my PC tuneup skills! Revenge of the Nerds!!! :D
Welcome to What the Tech!! Have a look around and enjoy yourself. There are many knowledgeable and friendly people here if you have questions. :wavey:
Hello there, Welcome to What The Tech, Master Kenobi :). I hope you'll enjoy your stay here and get the support when you need it, if you need it ;). By the way, I love Star Wars too, I am a big fan of the big Lucas project that started in 1977. I wish I lived in that year.
:welcome:

As others have stated, I hope you enjoy your visit or that you stay longer to learn.

Your display-name and coincidental enthusiasm for the Star Wars franchise sparked my memory of "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away rural land-grant University town" where I had then recently completed post-graduate work.

Star Wars opened in the larger markets in late May 1977, but only came to Northern California in the first week of June '77.
Opening night was a still blazing hot summer day with sunset not due until about 8:30pm.
I arrived early in anticipation of crowds and a long line, and was rewarded by occupying 5th position in line, and playing chess with the 4th position line holder. We sat on the traditionally tiled mezzanine, under the marquee, while others gathered and the line quickly stretched around the block. Fortunately, there was an excellent restaurant/bar across the street in those days, where we shuttled back and forth for refreshments while waiting, one saving place in line for the other.

Once inside and seated, we were unexpectedly treated to a parade resembling a red-carpet entrance at a star studded awards ceremony.
I had arrived by bicycle, wearing shorts, tank-top and sandals… as little as possible in defense against the heat.
But soon I discovered that this was to be a major glamorous event.
Most of my familiar professors and the town dignitaries had chosen to "dress" for the evening, and some may even have arrived by limo.
Before my eyes as we waited for the featured film, a line of elegantly appareled ladies in glittering full length evening gowns progressed, accompanied by gentlemen in suit and tie with a few Tuxes salted in the mix for spice.

It was definitely a gala event, ending with the unmistakable tell-tail that this was just the beginning of a to-be-continued saga.

I've lost track of Star Wars by now, and probably haven't attended all of the episodes.
Oh well, it certainly represented a major step forward for cinematography or whatever it is now called.

Thanks for the memories.