This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Win7 Ultimate

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I return after some time! Finally assembeld a new PC. Bought,at great expense,and installed win7 ultimate yesterday. Decided today to install Firefox. This is when I found out I am not in full controll. While installing I had not entered a Code word.I live alone and once or twice a year someone turns up,so felt not neccessary. 1.When I tried to download Firefox, Internet explorer gave me a choice to download to Drive C–user my name. I navigated to an externel drive and tried to save there and it told me that I had no authirity,so I navigated to C and tried to download there,same answer,lo and behold, user myname file is also on C!!!! So I asked it to Run the file,it did and installed Firefox. My question is ,How do I become Administrator of my own computer? Kindly bear in mind that I know very little and would require click by click instructions to be able to do whatever you want me to do. Thanks in advance.
Hello wesi, Let's have a look to see whether you are the Administrator or not. (It's possible that you're experiencing a different problem.) Go to your Start Menu and click Control Panel . Change the view to "Large Icons" and click on "User Accounts". On the right-hand side it should have your username and user display picture. Does it say "Administrator" underneath your name? Cheers,
Nahumi: Thank you. Yes it is Myname and below Administrator. jcgriff2. Thank you. No it NTFS,has been since day one a year ago.Worked fine with XP. As I type I am listening to music stored on this disk.Windows media player had not had any problem playing music. Firefox is installed. :huh:
Okay, well at least that's okay. Go to your Start Menu, right-click on Internet Explorer and click on "Run as Administrator". Then try downloading the file again, hopefully it doesn't give the error again.
Thank you.It woked but a new problem has cropped up .Please help. After replying to your post I had shut down the pc.When I rebooted this time as soon the screen appeared it said "Device driver could not be installed". I was puzzled and could not find which device it was,well,talking about. Just now,to test your advice,when I clicked on computer, the external drive was missing!!! I took the usb jack out and put it in back.Same message about device drver not installed!! HDD's do not need a driver!!!! What am I to do? Thank you for your time.
Hello, Problem solved. I tried off and on again the usb.This time I was told that my device needed to be replaced. I is oneTB and almost full with data. I switched off the drve itself and a minute later switched on again.viola, it works. Thank you very much for your help.
Well, every single component that's in your computer requires a device driver. A driver is a low level bit of code that lets Windows know how it should use and interact with every single component, including your external HDD. In most cases Windows uses a default driver to interact with HDD's. They all tend to behave in the same way, so it's usually a good bet that the driver will behave the same way too. Sometimes this goes wrong and you end up with a bug. [EDIT : Ignore my last instructions] Good to know that you fixed it. ^_^

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI