tb99
Topic Starter
I'm not exactly sure what happened to the computer because I wasn't home at the time. My sister said that her boyfriend was browsing the internet and downloading a video. But when he clicked on the downloaded file, a slew of popups came onto the screen and froze the computer. They tried to restart it but after logging in, an error message came up (userinit.exe) and they were left with a blank desktop. When I arrived home, I managed to run explorer.exe through the task manager. The moment I opened firefox to download hijack this, I was bombarded with brower redirects and run32.dll errors.
I don't know what he did as I've told them a million times not to download ANYTHING from someone they didn't know. I tried running adaware but it wouldn't allow it to update the definitions and when i tried to run it anyway, it froze. I also tried running house call, but that too froze.
I noticed a shortcut for "antispyware 2008" on my desktop, something that I never downloaded and since it's listed after the "video" file, I'm assuming that it's not a legit program and clicking it would further damage the computer.
Thanks for any help you can give me. I'll be sure to place a password on the log in screen from now on to prevent anyone from using the computer when I'm not around. Lesson definitely learned!
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 9:52:06 PM, on 8/1/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16674)
Boot mode: Normal
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\D-Link\D-Link DWA-552 Xtreme N Desktop Adapter\acs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\PackethSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
c:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\NMSSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\fxssvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\spools.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\Michael\LOCALS~1\Temp\winlogan.exe
C:\Program Files\Antispyware 2008\Antispyware-2008.exe
C:\Program Files\D-Link\D-Link DWA-552 Xtreme N Desktop Adapter\wirelesscm.exe
C:\Program Files\Verizon Wireless\V CAST Music Manager\MEMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\DOCUME~1\Michael\LOCALS~1\Temp\csrssc.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\Desktop\HiJackThis.exe
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
http://antispyware-2008soft.com/buy.php?aff=1339
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [wekewfjo983mkefdd] C:\DOCUME~1\Michael\LOCALS~1\Temp\winlogan.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ntuser] C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\spools.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [autoload] C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\cftmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [00e32dd8] rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\nrjatepd.dll",b
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [wekewfjo983mkefdd] C:\DOCUME~1\Michael\LOCALS~1\Temp\winlogan.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Jnskdfmf9eldfd] C:\DOCUME~1\Michael\LOCALS~1\Temp\csrssc.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ntuser] C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\spools.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [autoload] C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\cftmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Antispyware-2008.exe] C:\Program Files\Antispyware
2008\Antispyware-2008.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Warning] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDWarn.exe
(User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [ntuser] C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\spools.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [autoload] C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\cftmon.exe
(User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Warning] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDWarn.exe
(User 'Default user')
O4 - Startup: MEMonitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\Verizon Wireless\V CAST Music
Manager\MEMonitor.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Wireless Connection Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\D-Link\D-Link
DWA-552 Xtreme N Desktop Adapter\wirelesscm.exe
O7 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System, DisableRegedit=1
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program
Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} -
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Bonjour - {7F9DB11C-E358-4ca6-A83D-ACC663939424} - C:\Program
Files\Bonjour\ExplorerPlugin.dll
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program
Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network
Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} -
C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\nwprovau.dll
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.optonline.net
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://download.windowsupdate.com
O16 - DPF: {8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93} (Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0) -
http://javadl-esd.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jin…indows-i586.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{239BBFAE-180C-4D66-B9FA-727EA8B06B4A}: NameServer =
85.255.116.146,85.255.112.88
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{A4ED8430-A6DB-4C14-9A0F-E499E1DFA558}: NameServer =
85.255.116.146,85.255.112.88
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{D678229F-6393-47A7-9B4E-CDF6436CED13}: NameServer =
85.255.116.146,85.255.112.88
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: NameServer = 85.255.116.146 85.255.112.88
O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: NameServer = 85.255.116.146 85.255.112.88
O17 - HKLM\System\CS3\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: NameServer = 85.255.116.146 85.255.112.88
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: NameServer = 85.255.116.146 85.255.112.88
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: znzaay.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: werkjdnfi8wnkjmdfdfkefn - {C5AF49A2-94F3-42BD-F434-3604812C897D}
- C:\WINDOWS\system32\kdfgj83ke.dll
O23 - Service: Atheros Configuration Service (ACS) - Atheros - C:\Program
Files\D-Link\D-Link DWA-552 Xtreme N Desktop Adapter\acs.exe
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - AOL LLC - C:\Program Files\Common
Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common
Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program
Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation -
C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: Intel® NMS (NMSSvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\NMSSvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation -
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Virtual NIC Service (PackethSvc) - America Online, Inc. -
C:\WINDOWS\System32\PackethSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Task Scheduler (Schedule) - Unknown owner -
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\spools.exe
–
End of file - 6707 bytes
I don't know what he did as I've told them a million times not to download ANYTHING from someone they didn't know. I tried running adaware but it wouldn't allow it to update the definitions and when i tried to run it anyway, it froze. I also tried running house call, but that too froze.
I noticed a shortcut for "antispyware 2008" on my desktop, something that I never downloaded and since it's listed after the "video" file, I'm assuming that it's not a legit program and clicking it would further damage the computer.
Thanks for any help you can give me. I'll be sure to place a password on the log in screen from now on to prevent anyone from using the computer when I'm not around. Lesson definitely learned!
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 9:52:06 PM, on 8/1/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16674)
Boot mode: Normal
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\D-Link\D-Link DWA-552 Xtreme N Desktop Adapter\acs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\PackethSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
c:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\NMSSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\fxssvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\spools.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\Michael\LOCALS~1\Temp\winlogan.exe
C:\Program Files\Antispyware 2008\Antispyware-2008.exe
C:\Program Files\D-Link\D-Link DWA-552 Xtreme N Desktop Adapter\wirelesscm.exe
C:\Program Files\Verizon Wireless\V CAST Music Manager\MEMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\DOCUME~1\Michael\LOCALS~1\Temp\csrssc.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\Desktop\HiJackThis.exe
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
http://antispyware-2008soft.com/buy.php?aff=1339
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [wekewfjo983mkefdd] C:\DOCUME~1\Michael\LOCALS~1\Temp\winlogan.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ntuser] C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\spools.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [autoload] C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\cftmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [00e32dd8] rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\nrjatepd.dll",b
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [wekewfjo983mkefdd] C:\DOCUME~1\Michael\LOCALS~1\Temp\winlogan.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Jnskdfmf9eldfd] C:\DOCUME~1\Michael\LOCALS~1\Temp\csrssc.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ntuser] C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\spools.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [autoload] C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\cftmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Antispyware-2008.exe] C:\Program Files\Antispyware
2008\Antispyware-2008.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Warning] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDWarn.exe
(User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [ntuser] C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\spools.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [autoload] C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\cftmon.exe
(User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Warning] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDWarn.exe
(User 'Default user')
O4 - Startup: MEMonitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\Verizon Wireless\V CAST Music
Manager\MEMonitor.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Wireless Connection Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\D-Link\D-Link
DWA-552 Xtreme N Desktop Adapter\wirelesscm.exe
O7 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System, DisableRegedit=1
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program
Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} -
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Bonjour - {7F9DB11C-E358-4ca6-A83D-ACC663939424} - C:\Program
Files\Bonjour\ExplorerPlugin.dll
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program
Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network
Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} -
C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\nwprovau.dll
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.optonline.net
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://download.windowsupdate.com
O16 - DPF: {8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93} (Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0) -
http://javadl-esd.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jin…indows-i586.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{239BBFAE-180C-4D66-B9FA-727EA8B06B4A}: NameServer =
85.255.116.146,85.255.112.88
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{A4ED8430-A6DB-4C14-9A0F-E499E1DFA558}: NameServer =
85.255.116.146,85.255.112.88
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{D678229F-6393-47A7-9B4E-CDF6436CED13}: NameServer =
85.255.116.146,85.255.112.88
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: NameServer = 85.255.116.146 85.255.112.88
O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: NameServer = 85.255.116.146 85.255.112.88
O17 - HKLM\System\CS3\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: NameServer = 85.255.116.146 85.255.112.88
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: NameServer = 85.255.116.146 85.255.112.88
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: znzaay.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: werkjdnfi8wnkjmdfdfkefn - {C5AF49A2-94F3-42BD-F434-3604812C897D}
- C:\WINDOWS\system32\kdfgj83ke.dll
O23 - Service: Atheros Configuration Service (ACS) - Atheros - C:\Program
Files\D-Link\D-Link DWA-552 Xtreme N Desktop Adapter\acs.exe
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - AOL LLC - C:\Program Files\Common
Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common
Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program
Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation -
C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: Intel® NMS (NMSSvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\NMSSvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation -
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Virtual NIC Service (PackethSvc) - America Online, Inc. -
C:\WINDOWS\System32\PackethSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Task Scheduler (Schedule) - Unknown owner -
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\spools.exe
–
End of file - 6707 bytes