Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

difference in encoding IE

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hedley93

hedley93

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:12 PM

Anyone know the difference between Western European (Windows) and Unicode (UFT-8) encoding. I have read articles on different IT subjects and some say make sure you're in Western European and some say Unicode depending on the article and also on the webpage you read it. I tried changing from one to the other just on my home page and didn't notice any difference, unless I wasn't looking in the right places to see differences. Is there any specific encoding should be used, ie; by location? I am in the UK, if it matters. Just as an aside, I notice that when I go to save a webpage the file name is automatically given with an mht extension and not htm/l and the encoding can be changed below. I'd just like to be sure I'm working/saving in the right encoding and will not come across problems later on. Thanks for reading and in advance for any help offered. hedley

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:13 AM

I'm not entirely sure. But, you will probably not see any difference unless you are trying to load pages in a more complex language such as chinese. English pages are all going to look the same most likely.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#3 JohnRocks

JohnRocks

Authentic Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:20 AM

With the UTF-8 encoding, Unicode can be used in a convenient and backwards compatible way in environments that were designed entirely around ASCII. A character encoding system consists of a code that pairs each character from a given repertoire with something else, such as a sequence of natural numbers, octets or electrical pulses, in order to facilitate the transmission of data through telecommunication networks or storage of text in computers.