slpera
Topic Starter
Things were going along fairly smoothly until I allowed a bunch of updates this afternoon. Since then the CPU has been almost constantly at 100% with the main culprit being svchost.exe. Using Process Explorer, that particular svchost item is pml driver HPZ12. We did get a new HP printer, but not just today, and things have been running ok with it up til now. I went into the services tab and disabled both pml driver HPZ12 and net driver HPZ12 and rebooted, but then when I tried to open a game window using java, my computer rebooted and I got a "blue screen warning". I ran a scan with my ESET NOD32 and found the following:
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{A0FF62EF-9DDB-4AB5-895A-7038BF04C854}\RP2648\A0178467.exe » WISE » WxBug.EXE Win32/Adware.WBug.A application was a part of the deleted object
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{A0FF62EF-9DDB-4AB5-895A-7038BF04C854}\RP2648\A0178467.exe » WISE » WxBug.EXE » WISE » MiniBugTransporter.dll Win32/Adware.WBug.A application was a part of the deleted object
The scan took almost 6 hours.
At this point I did a system restore back to yesterday. I also uninstalled and reinstalled java.
The ESET startup scan then alerted me to this:
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{A0FF62EF-9DDB-4AB5-895A-7038BF04C854}\RP2648\A0178467.exe Win32/Adware.WBug.A application deleted - quarantined Event occurred on a file modified by the application: C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe.
So, that pile of updates is now wanting to be installed again, having gone back to a point previous to my letting them update this afternoon, but the 100% CPU problem is still there.
My computer is a Gateway Pentium R 4 CPU 2.40GHz 512 MB RAM Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3
The printer in question is an HP Office Jet 4500 G510 n-z
Thanks for any suggestions you may have.
Sue