This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Blue Screen, error code: 0x80070424

19 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Topic Started in Virus, Malware Spyware b/c AVG reported to Trojan heur virus. After troubleshooting, the tech said he thought I was getting falseposititives and based on the error code I got from the blue screen that I should start a thread in here. I do not know how to post a liunk to the other thread - if you need it and can tell me how to link to this - I am happy to do so.

  • HP 3620f, Pentium Dual Core E5200 @ 2.5 GHz, 4 Gig, 64 bit, desktop
  • VIsta Home Premium
  • IE, Firefox, are the most notable as they are almost always open. But the errors pop up all the time when I am using the PC.

As soon as the computer boots up the errors start. About a week ago when I started having all these problems, I installed a free resitry repiar program - this is the name of it and I can not find any other details under properties. The eroors seemed to get better but then resumed. I got the blue screen for a second time within the week. That is when I ran a scan in safe mode and identified the Heur.dropper virus (that was referred to as the false positive).

The error messages that pop up are:

Microsfoft Security Essentials has stopped working
ffpmg.exe has stopped working
logitech updater has stopped working
Failed to get trouble shooter catalog error mats get sap catalog failed

On Microsoft Essentials it says error code: 0x80070424. Tons of things are popping up on my computer all of the sudden that include "Couldnt start the Security Essentials service" , "Security Essentials isnt monitoring your computer because the programs service stopped". Also says that Security Essentials no longer exists yet is still on the list of installed programs. Whenever I attempt to open the internet it was recommending that I purchase something (anti-spyware) and today it looks like it is acutally directing me to download a MSE. exe file - this one looks real but I have no idea if it is.

I went to the MSE site and ran their recommended scan "Microsoft Safety Scan". The scan syas it found nothing. Yet MSE is still not functioning on my PC.

Hope this is enough inforamtion, sorry if it is too much or confusing - I am overwhlemed by the error messages and thsi is the only PC we have left working (other issues).

Appreciate any help or direction,

Julie :pullhair:

Edit: http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?sh…mp;#entry738723
Hi Julie G,

Error code: 80070424 usually means that the BITS service (required by Windows Update) is
not running. This is especially a Vista issue.

An update is available to fix a Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) crash on a Windows Vista-based computer here.

An update to prevent a Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) crash on a Windows Vista-based computer here.

See how you go with this as it might be the problem.

Cheers,
Lee
Thank you - I am getting really frustrated with Windows. I tried to download the file and I get routed to validate my copy Vista. It takes me to the main Windows Home page but never prompts for validation. I have searched and read and find nothing on what I should do next. I just get inforamtion on WHy I have to validate but no "how to". So then I try the second method (manual): Method 1 Enable the View Hidden Files option. To do this, follow these steps: Click Start Collapse this imageExpand this image, click Control Panel, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab. Click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK. As a system administrator, locate the Programdata\Microsoft\Network\Downloader folder, and then delete all files that have a file name that begins with Qmgr. To do this, follow these steps: Click Start Collapse this imageExpand this image, type \Programdata\Microsoft\network\downloader in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER. In the Downloader window, select and then delete any files that begin with Qmgr. For example, delete the following files: Qmgr0.dat Qmgr1.dat Notes If the files are not deleted, restart the computer in safe mode without networking. To do this, use Method 2 or Method 3. If the files are deleted successfully, immediately open Windows Update, and then install the latest updates. My computer search yield no files found. Not sure what to do now. The Vista we have is valid and activated - as per my computer and Microsoft. Would this error cause multiple programs and protocols to stop running (as listed above)?

Would this error cause multiple programs and protocols to stop running (as listed above)?


I'm not sure on that. I've never used Vista so I was dealing with the error code which has something to do with BITS or Windows auto update. I can find no other issue that error code relates to.

I can't explain why you are being asked to "validate" but without giving you a method to do so.

Do you have your Windows update set to auto. or manual? The first thing I would do is to set it to manual "let me know when there are updates, but don't download". Auto update can create issues, so I always manualy update on XP and my W7.

Try a manual update now to see if you can update or to see if you receive an error code instead.

If you receive an error code try this.

Click Start, select run, copy and paste: regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
Use the Enter Key or Click OK and reboot.

Try to update again.

Cheers,
Lee
Hi -

The potential validation issue needs to be addressed first. In early 2009, my then Vista SP1 system went "non-Genuine" - never did figure out the exact cause. If you encounter a problem with the next 2 steps - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851

1. Go to WGA site and validate Windows (validation begins immediately) - www.microsoft.com/genuine/validate

2. Run Microsoft MGADiag - go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012
- UAC will prompt
- click "Continue"
- it will take 30-60 secs to run
- view Validation Code

Remove AVG w/ removal tool - http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN146
- AVG - http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities
- Download and SAVE AVG Removal Tool (ART)
- RIGHT-click on ART, "Run as Administrator"
- Reboot upon completion

Remove MSE using Windows Live One Care Removal Tool - http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN146
- Download & SAVE - go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=81699
- Same instructions as AVG ART
- Reboot upon completion

Run the Windows System Update Readiness Tool - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

Run the Vista Cleaning Manager Utility - bring up an elevated Admin cmd/DOS prompt -
START | type cmd.exe | RIGHT-click on cmd.exe | "Run as Administrator" | type - cleanmgr tuneup

Check the following boxes:
- Temp Setup Files
- Downloaded Program Files
- Temp Internet Files
- Recycle Bin
- System error memory dump files (NOT the next line - minidump files)
- Temp Files
- Temp Windows Installation Files


Run Belarc Advisor - see if all Windows Updates are installed - http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
*** Please DO NOT post output of Belarc - it contains keycode info

Check for Windows Updates - www.update.microsoft.com

What Logitech software/ drivers do you have installed?
–> C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\LogiShrd\LVMVFM\UMVPFSrv.exe (Logitech Inc.)

You posted in this thread - "ffpmg.exe has stopped working"

In your Security thread -
- post #3 you posted - ffmpeg.exe has stopped working
- post #8 you posted - "ffpmg.exe has stopped working"

I'm not playing semantics here; just trying to understand which one - or both…?

This entry I am unfamiliar with -
Failed to get trouble shooter catalog error mats get sap catalog failed

Run SysInternals AutoRuns from Microsoft TechNet; click on "start-up" tab and see if you can locate these items that crash.

This is the Registry "repair" app you installed - C:\Program Files (x86)\Free Window Registry Repair
- Ininstall it with Revo Free - http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninst…e_download.html

Registry cleaners are unnecessary and can actually harm your system - registry corruption. I've seen many leave BSODs in their wake.

If all goes well, try to reinstall MSE - http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/mse.aspx

There are 3 areas to look for information related to the crashes -
1. WERCON -
START | type view | "View all Problem Reports" | 2x-click on line item for additional crash info

2. Reliability Monitor -
START | type perfmon /rel | click on red X's

3. Event Viewer -
START | type eventvwr.msc | Custom Views | Administrative Events

Regards. . .

jcgriff2


`
Wow - thanks, I will get working on the steps outlines above. For the "ffmpeg" - i never learned to type and did not notice the error. It is "ffmpeg" NOT "ffpmg" Sorry.
I got as far as: "Check for Windows Updates - www.update.microsoft.com" When I copy/paste or type in the address, I get the following: "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" I am fully connected and can go to any/all other pages on Microsoft site. I do not want to download something I do not need or that will mess up this process. Is there another way to check/get updates? Thank you - Julie
Hi Julie Go to this location in windows explorer C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc you will find a HOSTS file right click it, choose Notepad and click OK copy the contents of the file, and paste them here
Just as an FYI - I am leaving town and will be back Monday Night July 4th - 2011.

I will pick up this process when I return. THanks to those who have helped thus far, "see" you on Monday.


COpy of Log - in at least two posts b/c it said it was too big for one.

📎WTT_Hosts_File_belonging_to_Julie_G.txt
I reset both (IE and HOSTS) as per the instruction. Now when I restart the computer I get the follwoign messages:

  • sschk has stoppe dworking
  • IE has stopped working
  • Logitech updater has stopped working

Was there anythign telling in my post #9?

Next steps?
Thank you for the COM surrogate suggestion. When I try to follow the step "Click on the Add button, and then browse to C:\Windows\System32\dllhost.exe as shown" - I get the following message:

"You can not set attributes on 64 bit executables" ????



Is there a way to wipe out my system and start fresh? I coninute to get multiple erros todays is "google installer has stopped working"…

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI