Hi Guys,
So here’s what’s going on, I recently formatted my C: drive to get ride of numerous virus's that had infect my computer. In the process of reloading all my games/programs/files/drivers ECT I came across this error:
Title> svchost.exe - Application Error
Message> the exception unknown software exception (0xc0000409) occurred in the application at location 0x5b86a3c0.
> Ok > Cancel
When this error pops up my internet completely freezes, *I'm on 56k* It will show the two computers on the toolbar as if it was still connected. But it doesn’t blink like it’s supposed too. If I try to play games/search the web nothing happens. I have to restart my computer and wait for the internet to die then repeat the process.
Also right around the same time I'm getting an error that says:
Title>Generic Host Process for Win32 Services
Message> Generic Host Process for Win32 services has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Please tell Microsoft about this problem and so on.
>Debug>Send Error Report>don’t send
Any help would be appreciated – Tom
*I also attached a screen shot of both errors.[attachment removed: error1.GIF]
Sequence for Re-installation:
Format Hard Drive
Install Operating System
If XP - Install DirectX 9.0C
Install MotherBoard ChipSet Drivers
Install Drivers for Audio, Video, Modem or NIC
Install Other Drivers (e.g. Printer, Scanner, GamePort, Camera, etc.)
Install Application Programs.
Often People forget to install their MotherBoard ChipSet Drivers
Most often People forget to install DirectX 9.0C before installing MotherBoard ChipSet Drivers
If you followed the above sequence, then the next thing to look at is "exactly what" was running when the Error occured.
You may not be able to guess what it was, so you might gather some additional information from your Event Viewer.
Next place to look is in System Configuration Utility - StartUp - to possibly disable various "update" type programs that don't need to be running and hogging your CPU cycles, RAM, and internet bandwidth.
Best Regards
I always use that sequence, my chipset drivers won't let me install them w/o installing DirectX first.
Also at the moment all I have installed on my computer is 2 games and a few programs that I have always had on my computer. Normally when I get the error my computer is either idle on the internet for 30+ minutes or I'm playing Warcraft 3 TFT//browsing the web.
I found an article earlier today while searching Google about how the win32 error that I get comes from installing a HP printer driver for an old printer (driver doesn’t support win xp). I do have an old HP printer and I did try and install the driver, I took the steps it said to fix the problem with no luck. Could this be causing both the win 32 error and the svchost.exe error? Would you recommend I reformat install everything but w/o installing my printer drivers? Thanks Tom
I also saw an HP reference in various forums related to this problem, but am not convinced that it is related.
You could always uninstall it, and remove HP Registry entries.
Have you gotten all of the MS Updates and Patches?
Running SP2?
I wonder if running System File Checker would identify any missing or corrupt files in your OS.
Start - Run - (type)sfc /scannow
since you reformated your hd, you should be starting clean. those errors are window components. unless you can track it down to the software, you might reinstall windows and load just the mainboard drivers, video, audio, modem etc. see how it acts, then start loading one by one your other software, giving time for the problem to develop inbetween.
So here's what I did. I formated once again, loaded everything BUT the HP printer drivers. To say the least, problem fixed. The drivers I installed were outdated I guess. I found updated drivers at a website for my printer and installed those, all works properly again. Thanks for all your help. Tom
Hi Guys,
So here’s what’s going on, I recently formatted my C: drive to get ride of numerous virus's that had infect my computer. In the process of reloading all my games/programs/files/drivers ECT I came across this error:
Title> svchost.exe - Application Error
Message> the exception unknown software exception (0xc0000409) occurred in the application at location 0x5b86a3c0.
> Ok > Cancel
When this error pops up my internet completely freezes, *I'm on 56k* It will show the two computers on the toolbar as if it was still connected. But it doesn’t blink like it’s supposed too. If I try to play games/search the web nothing happens. I have to restart my computer and wait for the internet to die then repeat the process.
Also right around the same time I'm getting an error that says:
Title>Generic Host Process for Win32 Services
Message> Generic Host Process for Win32 services has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Please tell Microsoft about this problem and so on.
>Debug>Send Error Report>don’t send
Any help would be appreciated – Tom
*I also attached a screen shot of both errors.[attachment removed]
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI