This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Constant Internet lag spikes

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello there! On the past few weeks, I've been experiencing serious Internet lag spikes during online gaming/ video buffering / website surfing, in overall, in everything that uses Internet. These lag spikes happen on both my laptops and on my desktop computer, so it shouldn't be a PC problem. I've contacted my Internet provider (twice) and they say the speed that I receive is the same than it was before these problems. To be more specific:- During online games I get disconnected, higher ms than usual and several seconds delay in the actions I do, - The video loading speed is definitely slower and sometimes stops, and it didn't happen before This situation is really annoying, since Internet is such a huge part of our lives, and I'd love to see this issue fixed! Thanks!
Try running some tests at speedtest.net from each computer, see if anything shows up there. I all looks okay there, are you doing anything different now? Are you using a torrent that you weren't using before? Online backup (Carbonite or similar)? One computer can affect the performance of the entire network.

The next thing to try is a different router as that is the most likely cause,
The speed results at Speedtest.net are more or less the same the ones when my Internet speed and normal, and they're very similar on each computer. Nope, I'm not using anything different, plus, it still happens when only one computer is working so I guess one isn't slowing the others. Well, if it's a router problem, then it is really a bummer. By the way, can you tell me a website to test the ping time so I can show you the lag spikes and be more specific? Thanks!
Hi, until Rich gets back to you…. just do your normal ping command but preface it with -t for example if I wanted to do multiple pings to the BBC then the command is: ping -t bbc.co.uk (note the spaces they need to be there) to interrupt the pings temporarily then you can use Ctrl +Break To terminate the pings Ctrl+C will do the job just fine. Regards paws
If it occurs with a single computer running then it is definitely not interference of any kind. From the ping results I also doubt f this is a router problem, though if all else fails that would be what I would replace.

I wonder if this is a ISP DNS problem. Give OpenDNS a try.
Thanks for the answers so far. I tried OpenDNS on the computers and on the router settings, but nothing changed at all, still have those lag spikes. Can it be of any bad router setting, or the internet provider is just providing me a bad connection?
Can you borrow a router from a friend to try? If that doesn't help then it has to be ISP related and they are going to have to be the ones to solve it.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI