This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Internet has become slow/spiky

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Recently my Internet has become worse and worse, I frequently play Warcraft III DotA and WoW, it seems that whenever I play wc3, I am permanently spiking every half a second for the entire game with about 2-3 second delays on top, Occassionally the problem goes away, but the spikes seem to happen the majority of the time now, similarly in WoW I'm getting very high latencies. The difference in standard browsing isn't as noticeable but still there, video streaming is here and there, sometimes I have to wait for buffering, sometimes its ok, but never as good as it was about 2 months ago. I changed back to my old computer to determine if it was my Internet or my computer; I found that it was much better on my old computer, wc3 was comparatively fine (there was tiny bit of lag but not completely crippling like my other computer was) which couldve been just the normal lag you sometimes get. Videos were streaming like they used to as well.. Knowing that it's most likely the computer's fault somehow, I've been trying to think of what is causing the problem, so I've ran my super anti spyware program several times and there was nothing but a few expected tracking cookies that were very unthreatening. I play these games with nothing else running, there are no windows updates or anything like that getting in the way, I'm really not sure whats going on.. I've called my ISP but they didn't offer any help Any help would be greatly appreciated, thankyou.
The major issue with problems such as you describe can be many and varied.
However, it is "usually" background applications and processes running.

You state that you have no such background running.
OK. I'll take your word for it, but that would be quite unusual for most machines, unless you had carefully disabled unnecessary items.

Have a look in your MSCONFIG - StartUps to see what might still be running from startup.

You can also open an instance of Task Manager (ctrl - alt - del) to see what may be active at the time of the perceived lag.
________________–

I'm no gamer, but I am aware that updates to games, such a new maps, etc. can clobber your original installation.
Have you installed anything new on the instance of your gaming programs on that problematic machine?

How about new Antivirus or other application processes?
______________________-

If none of the above, and you start noticing svchost.exe instances consuming lots of resources, you may have an infection. (in Task Manager - Processes)

Super AntiSpyware is a fine utility,
But you should also have an AntiVirus running active, and run manual scans occasionally.
You would be well-advised to consider Malwarebytes as an alternate for your antispyware.
You should also have a good software Firewall

Have a look here for suggestions: http://forums.whatthetech.com/Preventing_M…ing_t98700.html
_________________–

You can post for a checkup over in the Infections Removal Forum ( I would )
Hey thanks for the responses, the problem still persists, a little less frequently now, but i'm currently being effected by it as I type. I downloaded Process Explorer, but there doesn't appear to be any unusual activity happening when the spiking is occuring I tried malware bytes but nothing was found. Problem appears as suddenly as it goes away.
Still haven't heard anything from you about an antivirus utility?
Got one?
Used it recently?
Used an online antivirus such as ESET or Panda recently?

It would seem sensible to head over to Infections Removal to assure that you don't have some bad-guy lurking onboard.

If you still wish to do a few things before trying Infections Removal:

Power-cycle your modem and router.
Clear your temps and cookies.
Clear your DNS
Consider a Host File

Note: a custom Hosts File such as the one I linked will block a ton of advertisement from loading, as well as prevent you from inadvertently navigating to many malicious sites.
Often the user will experience faster access when surfing the internet due to no longer downloading so many advertisements.

Down-side of Hosts File blocking of advertisements is that "some" sites require you to allow their particular advertisements in order to view the content of their site.
For instance, CBS video requires that you endure their advertisements in trade for watching their clips and full episodes.

I'll recommend again… Head on over to Infections Removal for a checkup.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI