Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

My laptop Fan not working properly

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wantedtrenton

wantedtrenton

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:35 AM

My laptop is a gateway md2614u and fan turns on for like 5seconds then turns it self off and doesn't come back on and then after like 30seconds my laptop shuts off if I don't have it over a fan or vent. If I have it over a fan like 10mins if a vent it doesn't shut off till vent turns off. I have replaced the thermal paste and it still does it. Almost like the fan not reading that its hot. also started after I ran virus, malware, optimistic scan. So maybe it changed or deleted something? but i have been using them for years. also I clean my laptop so that not a problem. and there is no fan settings in BIOS.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Nahumi

Nahumi

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Technical Support
    Software Development

Posted 07 June 2011 - 03:34 PM

Hello wantedtrenton,

Welcome to the WTT Forums. ^_^

Unfortunately I think you might have to pop down to your local PC Repair shop and get the fan replaced, or replace it yourself. Continuing to run the laptop may present a significant fire risk. The laptop is obviously shutting itself down when it's getting too hot, trying to push it further may be unwise.

Saying that, if you still encounter the same issues after replacing the fan, it might be down to your power settings. Have a look at the 'advanced power settings' and then go to 'Processor power management' and have a look under 'System cooling policy'. Make sure it's set to Active and not Passive. The latter stops the fans from running, or at least dials them down.

Cheers,
Nahumi

Visiting Tech
@jamescpegg | FreeTrakr
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online..

#3 wantedtrenton

wantedtrenton

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:36 PM

Umm I kinda figure that. and there is no "Have a look at the 'advanced power settings' and then go to 'Processor power management' and have a look under 'System cooling policy'. Make sure it's set to Active and not Passive." unless i looked at wrong spot ill relook after the reformat goes threw. which i would think fix that problem if it is that.

#4 wantedtrenton

wantedtrenton

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:37 PM

but thanks for advice

#5 JohnRocks

JohnRocks

Authentic Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:49 AM

Did you try a new fan? You have a fan can not some serious damage to your laptop. I would have to say your can gone repair shop and then your laptop fan working.

#6 jsmorrison55

jsmorrison55

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 05:47 PM

or maybe its not properly connected to the power supply. more over, you can check the bios like stated above and check for power distribution.
you can read my whole Blog and some of the articles I have written.

#7 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:46 AM

My laptop is a gateway md2614u and fan turns on for like 5seconds then turns it self off and doesn't come back on and then after like 30seconds my laptop shuts off if I don't have it over a fan or vent. If I have it over a fan like 10mins if a vent it doesn't shut off till vent turns off. I have replaced the thermal paste and it still does it. Almost like the fan not reading that its hot.

also started after I ran virus, malware, optimistic scan. So maybe it changed or deleted something? but i have been using them for years.

also I clean my laptop so that not a problem.

and there is no fan settings in BIOS.

From your next post.

Almost like the fan not reading that its hot

Fans do not have a temp. reading capacity, only motherboards do.

This might be a motherboard problem with your fan controller.
Your fan controller on your motherboard may be on the blink.. All that connects your fan to your board is a 3-pin connection (sometimes even two).

You need to replace your fan and if it is still not working correctly your next culprit would be the fan connection or motherboard, as generally an electrical component running for 30 seconds then shutting down points to capacitor failure. Check your capacitors. Do they look normal as in no mushroom look effects or leakage?

Another possibility is a poor power plan. The power plan settings as mentioned by Nahumi are the first thing I would check. Power Schemes for Laptops vary but try this: Go to Start / Control panel / power options / select a power plan / select "Balanced".

See how you go, but if you think a HDD reformat is going to fix the problem, well miracles do happen, but not often with computers. :lol:

Cheers,
Lee

Edited by Lee, 22 July 2011 - 12:51 AM.

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#8 101010

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:38 AM

There is a program called SpeedFan that will allow you to conrol the fan speed yourself.

Here is the link to the site:
SpeedFan

This is a powerful program that will allow you to change many basic system settings and I would not recommend changing any of the default settings other than the check mark to turn on the automatic fan speed.

Posted Image

As far as I know this will not start when the computer does so you will have to run it after every start. As such, this is not likely to fix your problem, it is more of a band-aid until you can get it fixed.

Hope this helps :D
"We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss that we refuse to see." -- Terry Goodkind