This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Laptop fan running constantly

64 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Originally I suspected malware, so I posted to the malware forum.

Initial post: http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?s=…st&p=706192
Nearly the end: http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?s=…st&p=707556

I'm not sure if my laptop is overheating, if my thermostat is broken, if my fan is broken. I'm not even sure it's a software issue because there's very little CPU usage - around 10-15% - and my hard disk drive light only occasionally blinks.

The computer seems warm, maybe even hot, but not burning hot to the touch. I was hoping this computer had a diagnostic utility for checking temperature and verifying hardware.

I don't remember the sound of the fan being this noticeable in the past. I don't see any hairballs or excessive dust around the vents.

Computer info:
Sony Vaio VGN-SZ750N
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU (T8100 @ 2.10GHz)
3.00 GB RAM
System type: 32-bit Operating System
Windows Vista Business
Service Pack 2

I haven't backed it up in a while. :o I've copied /users and /downloads to an external hard-drive. And a long time ago I created Vista recovery dvds.

I'd like to fix a software or hardware problem before something goes seriously wrong because then I would :pullhair:

thank you,
Linda
Hi Linda,

It does sound like you have an over-heating problem and as you PC is a Laptop, it would require professional service if that is the problem.

Here is a tiny program that can be run from your system tray that monitors CPU (central processing unit) temp. I have it on my own PC and knowing the CPU temp. gives me a good idea as to temps. of other hardware on my PC.

Core Temp. http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Let us know what sort of Temps. the program is displaying during general computer use after it has been on for 30min. or so..

It would be a good idea to start doing a back-up of all your important data, including serial numbers, passwords, all personal data, photos and email etc.

Cheers,
Lee
Thanks. I downloaded the program. The cores are reading mid-to-low 40's centigrade. core 0 max 52, min 43 core 1 max 54, min 42 The Tj Max is 105 degrees C
Those Temps. are Ok for a Laptop.

It does pay to be careful about where you use a laptop. Soft surfaces like on a bed or carpet are not good as air flow is restricted.
Hard flat surfaces are best.

In Windows, your fan will always be running, but at idle the fan should be running quietly.

It might help to stop some programs from starting up every time you turn your Laptop on as apart from essential Windows programs and active security apps. no other programs need to be in the start-up list. The list can be checked in either Vista or XP by going to Start / run and typing in msconfig / enter / click on start-up tab.

How many are there? I have 7 essential start-up items only.


It might be a good idea to run an "Overdrive" test scan so we can get a complete overview of what is happening on your PC and what is causing your fan to work so hard.

Run this test using Internet Explorer.

PC Pitstop's 'OVERDRIVE'
http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/

Fast, Comprehensive, and Free.
"In just a few minutes OverDrive creates an extensive report of your PC's performance, security, software, drivers, and more".

Note: Vista or W7 users with UAC must first Right-click IE - Select "Run as Administrator"
Register and create a password

Accept the ActiveX component to allow your machine to run the Full Overdrive (only) Test.
Registering and accepting the ActiveX is both SAFE and FREE.
There is a lot of stuff on that site that WTT does not endorse, so just be careful that you zero in on the "Overdrive" test only.

Before running the test, make sure all applications are closed except for the one instance of IE8.
When the test results are displayed, copy the URL from your address bar and post it here.

Cheers,
Lee
Thanks - I've had a cold w/ fever for a couple of days. I usually place my laptop on my lap. Startup tab of msconfig has about 30 items in it. Will try the overdrive thing tomorrow. LInda

Startup tab of msconfig has about 30 items in it.


Way too many, but we can fix that later quite simply.
Just remember, most programs do not need to be on the start-up menu to operate properly. They just slow down your start-up time and generally slow down your PC. All programs try to get onto the start-up menu when they are installed. Do a custom install when installing a new program and un-tick "add to start-up menu" and any add-ons like 3rd. party toolbars etc.

Sorry to hear about your cold. Plenty of rest and Tea (Earl Grey is nice) with lemon and honey is soothingly good :thumbup:

Cheers,
Lee

It might be a good idea to run an "Overdrive" test scan so we can get a complete overview of what is happening on your PC and what is causing your fan to work so hard.

Run this test using Internet Explorer.

PC Pitstop's 'OVERDRIVE'
http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/

Fast, Comprehensive, and Free.
"In just a few minutes OverDrive creates an extensive report of your PC's performance, security, software, drivers, and more".

Note: Vista or W7 users with UAC must first Right-click IE - Select "Run as Administrator"
Register and create a password

Accept the ActiveX component to allow your machine to run the Full Overdrive (only) Test.
Registering and accepting the ActiveX is both SAFE and FREE.
There is a lot of stuff on that site that WTT does not endorse, so just be careful that you zero in on the "Overdrive" test only.

Before running the test, make sure all applications are closed except for the one instance of IE8.
When the test results are displayed, copy the URL from your address bar and post it here.

Cheers,
Lee

Thanks, Lee

I created an account using IE but it seems to want to add a lot more than 1 add-on/activeX control. Since it didn't tell me the name I refused to allow it.

Perhaps you can be more specific about exactly when I am supposed to allow the add-on(s) and active-X control(s)?

thanks
Hi Linda,

I don't know what the Active X is called either, but we often use the Overdrive test here at WTT and I can assure you there is no malicious content or any extras installed on your PC and nor will your account details be used for spam. If any malicious content or spam ever eventuated from that site, I can assure you we would be one of the first to hear about it. PC pitstop has been a well respected site for many years.

There is a lot of other things to click on at that site besides "Overdrive" and a lot of these lead to offers of paid for products we do not necessarily support. Just make sure that after logging on, you click on the Overdrive test only.

This is what will come up at the end of the test (from a customer's PC I recently had in for a service).
[attachment removed]
and here is the address link so it is accessable here http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/sec.asp?c…;report=Summary

It's as simple as that. :)

Cheers,
Lee
I apologize for my taking so long with this. I still had a fever when I woke up this morning, and we've got just a wee bit of snow here. Just want to let you know, I will get to this tonight, dinner time or later. Thank you much for your patience. Linda
Do I need to uninstall the ActiveX control now? How? It's tiny and I'd leave it installed as It does nothing and uses no resources. It's handy to have for any future Overdrive test.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI