This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

BIOS issue/CMOS battery

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a Microstar MS-645e-Max-U motherboard. I recently received some new RAM for the system, two RAM sticks, each a GB. I did a memory test to determine if RAM is a problem at all. The test finished just fine with no errors detected. Since that point, my SIS accelerated graphics port is no longer work and I receive a code 12 error. I have tried updating the bios many times by downloading the most updated bios version from the MSI web site. I tried a Live Update 5 program, but that only crashed and gave me a blue screen error. I thought I could try resetting the bios, so I removed the CMOS battery and put it back in. Now, when I start the system, I receive power, but nothing happens, just stays at a blank screen and my monitor isn't receiving any signal. I am completely stumped at this point. Any ideas?
Mordimier, sorry to hear about your problems, I have pass this topic on and will wait for an experience tech in this field to help you.

The test finished just fine with no errors detected. Since that point, my SIS accelerated graphics port is no longer work and I receive a code 12 error. I have tried updating the bios many times by downloading the most updated bios version from the MSI web site. I tried a Live Update 5 program, but that only crashed and gave me a blue screen error. I thought I could try resetting the bios, so I removed the CMOS battery and put it back in. Now, when I start the system, I receive power, but nothing happens, just stays at a blank screen and my monitor isn't receiving any signal. I am completely stumped


My past dealing of flash updating the bios and having a crashed was not really good news and always stayed away from doing so. But like I said someone else may have more experience in dealing with this item.

Jimbo1
Hi Mordimier, Some motherboards have a back-up bios feature. Please check your motherboard's manual for a "back-up bios" feature. Cheers, Lee

I recently received some new RAM for the system, two RAM sticks, each a GB. I did a memory test to determine if RAM is a problem at all. The test finished just fine with no errors detected. Since that point, my SIS accelerated graphics port is no longer work and I receive a code 12 error. I have tried updating the bios many times by downloading the most updated bios version from the MSI web site.
Any ideas?


I did a memory test to determine if RAM is a problem at all

After thinking over your problem this comes to mind, what problem were you having prior to trying to downloading and updating the bios? Something must or have been going wrong for you to do this.

Now you said:

my SIS accelerated graphics port is no longer work and I receive a code 12 error.

Which brings up back to the root cause, what was the problem you were having before you started down this path with the bios? Can you give us more info please.

Jimbo1
your best answer..

Removing the CMOS battery doesn't actually reset the BIOS. It lets the CMOS memory, which holds data for the BIOS, go blank so the BIOS will start off with a clean slate.

I suspect the Live Update 5 crash left your BIOS in an unusable state. Without something in there to get another flash operation going, it may be permanently dead.

If the BIOS chip is removable, you might be able to get a replacement. If it's NOT removable (is soldered or otherwise permanently attached), don't try to make it so. It won't work.

Sorry.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi…16143643AA1yDtW

:popcorn:

your best answer..

Removing the CMOS battery doesn't actually reset the BIOS. It lets the CMOS memory, which holds data for the BIOS, go blank so the BIOS will start off with a clean slate.

I suspect the Live Update 5 crash left your BIOS in an unusable state. Without something in there to get another flash operation going, it may be permanently dead.

If the BIOS chip is removable, you might be able to get a replacement. If it's NOT removable (is soldered or otherwise permanently attached), don't try to make it so. It won't work.

Sorry.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi…16143643AA1yDtW

:popcorn:


Terry1966 has summed it up for you in the above quote.

If what Less has said here:

back-up bios feature.
Please check your motherboard's manual for a "back-up bios" feature.

If your board does not have this feature, then their is not much you can do except calling the manufacture of the motherboard if see what they can do. Some of them have instructions for making a boot disk or usb device to flash upgrade the bios on the motherboard, this may be your only shot consider that the upgrade crashed and your stuck at a point of not being able to do anything.

Wished there was more I could do and really sorry for not being able to do anything for you on this problem.

Jimbo1

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI