This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

power or stand by problem

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi peeps! Ok heres the deal the computer works fine but I clicked hibernate and do not know how to start the computer back up. I have tried resetting cmos buy taking out the battery and I a not m sure where the jumpers to reset on the mother board are but I unplugged the power supply from the board and drives and unplugged monitor mouse,keyboard ect. waited for 15 min re connect all and still nothing but a yellow light at the power button that indicates it is in hibernation still! I would really like to find a schematic for the MB but have had no luck yet.i cant give any specs. except for gig of ram, 20 gig, HD, XP, 2.0 processor don't remember the bios version. well i think that covers it in short. if anyone reads this and can help at all please let me know!!! well here it is after 4 days of research this is the answer or the best that I was able to come up with. Thanks to majestic and that persons post in another forum ….. "Try clearing the NVRAM (CMOS) to see if it resolves the boot problem. Possibly the information stored in the NVRAM (CMOS) became corrupted which is not uncommon. Normally you would clear the NVRAM (CMOS) by entering the BIOS Setup, but it would appear that you can not do so. The alternative would be to remove the battery from the motherboard to clear the NVRAM (CMOS). With the machine unplugged from the wall remove the battery from the motherboard. Then with the machine still unplugged press the On button for 30 seconds to dissipate any remaining electrical charge on the motherboard. Then re-install the battery, plug the machine back into the wall and see if it will boot normally. Depending on the age of the system you might try installing a new battery when clearing the NVRAM. A failed battery can cause a variety of boot up problems. A new 3-Volt, CR2032, coin cell battery can be purchased for around $3 (US) and is available at any Radio Shack, computer stores and most discount stores like Wal-Mart. If the machine still fails to boot then strip the motherboard down to the bare minimum. By bare minimum I mean remove all expansion cards, disconnect all drives and leave just the processor, memory and graphics card in the machine after reseating them. If the computer boots this way then start connecting each device one at a time until the no boot scenario returns. This would then indicate which device has failed and is causing the problem. Also try booting the system without the keyboard, mouse or any other device plugged into the rear of the system. A faulty USB device has been known to cause problems. If you have more than one memory module (pair with RDRAM) installed then try booting with only one and then swap them around and try again. If you only have one memory module (pair with RDRAM) then try booting without any memory modules installed. Also try swapping the graphics card for another one. If this procedure doesn't resolve the problem then you maybe looking at a situation where the motherboard has failed"…… Following the instructions above I started with just one memory module and my hard drive. It booted. shut it off and plugged in my monitor and it would not boot then I noticed that my monitor was still on so I shut it off reset BIOS plugged it in and it booted. I then turned on the monitor and it showed IDE auto config screen and gave me the option to go it to BIOS but at the time I had no key board or mouse plugged in so I repeated steps above (resetting the BIOS every time) for every piece of hardware. now I do not want to shut it off. there must be some way to stop this from happening again. oh and the button I pushed was stand by not hibernate. all of the hardware I had installed at the start of the problem I now have installed and every thing seems to be working fine. I did not lose any info that I can tell. The problem is that I do not know what happened and I would very much like to!!! So the question is, why do I have to reset my BIOS every tine I shut down except on a restart?……….anybody? :scratch: . And thank you for looking at my post! ps I hope that this might help someone it helped me!( Sort of)
Hello Justime,

To disable Hibernate I suggest you do the following:

Right click on a free area on the desktop - properties - screensaver - power - hibernate tab - and take the tick out of Enable Hibernation.

As you are attempting to save power without turning off your computer, why not go to start - settings - control panel - display settings - screensaver - power - and adjust the power setting to suit your environment.

I hope this helps,

kind regards,

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI