This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

motherboard problem

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

okay, basicly my pc was turning on but no display. so i did the usuals, replaced graphics card etc, until I put in a new motherboard and its worked, hey presto! So then I ordered a MSI PM8M3-V, I only wanted something cheap to get it going. I put it in and turned it on, great. It ran for about 8 seconds and then cut out, just before the windows logo would come up. I couldnt get into the BIOS either. Then I did it again, same result. I thought it was a bad board so got it replaced and this new one is doing the exact same thing. This is really getting to me, as I have been promising my friend for 2 weeks now I had it cracked and its looking rather embarassing. Maybe I shouldn't be as confident :D Anyone got any thoughts?
New MoBo, means installing the CPU. Are you happy with how you seated the CPU and did you use ArticSilver when you installed the heatsink? You probably know the drill: Check all the connectors Disconnect Optical Drives Disconnect all but one Hard Drive Remove all PCI cards Leave only Video Card and (1) one stick of RAM If it fires up —- wonderful Then start replacing components with reboots between each addition until it fails to boot again. If the above doesn't work, then pull it all out of the case and try assempling it on a bare counter-top. Best Regards
Okay I will assemble it on a bare table top tomorrow when I have time, what is the advantage of this? Anyone else got any other thoughts? This is driving me mad!
If your "inside the case" install of a new motherboard fails as you've described above, you may be having a problem with something as simple as a "spacer" or "securing screw" that you've overlooked, or which could be causing an electrical short. This can cause you to think the motherboard itself, or some other component is faulty, provoking needless RMA returns. Laying the machie out on a flat non-conductive surface may allow you to boot the machine, confirming that the hardware is working…or not. If not, the various components are more easily available for examination and substitution during your troubleshooting. Best Regards
Well it turned out it was the cpu fan! it was spinning, but just must not have been getting enough power? Not sure, it was brand new though!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI