This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

tutorials using keyboard instead of mouse

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Does anyone know of a tutorial(s) available on the net, or books etc teaching how to use a keyboard to operate all actions in windows, msoffice, ie etc. I have been trying some keys & combination keys and can get to some places. For example, on ie using tab I can get to the address bar, then following links on down the page, but how do I access address bar, back/forward button, favourites, the icons on the top right of the page - home, feeds mail etc. Another example, WLM. The first place the tab key takes me is the inbox, using the arrow keys will take me on down through the folders, but how do get across to access a message. If I use the arrow key, nothing happens. If I use the tab key it shoots straight across to the events part below the calender. How would I access the icons at the top to do an action? Pin a programme etc to the taskbar? I suppose I'm looking for a tutorial(s)/books on using every aspect of a pc using the keyboard only. Sorry to ask so many questions at once, but I think they had to be asked to understand my post. Thanks for reading and in advance for any help offered. hedley
Thanks for the reply. I was taught to use the mouse, but I find my arm gets sore/ tired reaching from the keyboard to the mouse. Also, if I'm doing a lot of clicking, i.e. checking a lot of email or reading a lot of articles in a folder, my arm seems to get sore just from clicking all the time. I think it would be a better idea to work from the one place (keyboard) rather than go between two different places. Also slows down work time. Thanks for the help. hedley
Ah right, I see. Just for comfort and health reasons you might want to look at this :

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Hea…ork/DG_10026668

If you're getting any tingeling sensations in the your hands, fingers and palms it might be down to the way you're actually using the computer.


Anyway, onto some tips :

The key to understanding how to use your computer just with your keyboard is to get your head around "scrolling" through elements on the screen. A mouse lets you do anything and click on different areas of the screen. It gives you two dimensional control over what you see. Using a keyboard only gives you one dimensional control, this means that all you can do is scroll through a list.

In normal circumstances, the TAB button (it's above the caps lock) is what you would use to scroll through each item on your "list". If you do it right now, it will will scroll to the "Add Reply" button. If you keep going, it will go keep going through all the interactive elements. Whether that's URL's, text boxes or buttons.

Now, what if you want to go to a different program? Well all you have to do is hold down the Alt button and then hit the TAB button. This will let you scroll through all the active applications on your desktop.

In some cases, using the arrow keys and enter will let you move around applications a bit better. The "enter" key will always equate to a "left click" on the mouse.

As for specific keyboard shortcuts, you'll have to look in the application help or manual. There will usually be an option on the menu bar that says "Help". Just click that and navigate your way through the help files. There is usually a list of predefined keyboard shortcuts. Here are some common shortcuts for Google Chrome :

http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/s…amp;topic=28650

And here is a list for IE :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306832

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Nahumi
Nahumi & Struker Thank you very much for your replies. There are certainly enough shortcuts there to keep me going for a while. I look forward to reading them in detail. Thanks again for the help. Much appreciated. hedley

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI