This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

XP Interactive Reference menus

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Hey all.

Being a foreigner (Non-english maternal language) I've experienced from time to time, that I
had trouble explaining specific menu locations in english, because I had a Danish version of
Windows XP. Direct translating from danish to english was too obscure, and more often than
not, I didn't get the word / phrase right. Resulting in some muddy directions on my part.

So, if you find yourself in a situation where you need to explain a specific menu, or sequence
of menus, you could look on this site. Go through the menus there , take note of the english
words / phrases, etc. and you are good to go. The menu screenshots are interactive, meaning
you can use buttons and tabs to go through a given sequence, just like you would on a normal
computer.

Interactive screenshots of Windows XP

I have yet to explore the page fully. But one thing I will be looking for, which I couldn't find, where
the right click menus. I'll update this post, when I have become more familiar with the page, and
hopefully with right-click menus.

Regards
Excellent site, many thanks. I counted 82 different tutorials. I read through the EULA and it seems to be talking about purchased software, which this web site is not, so, my question is, can we use the screen shots Lee has posted in responses here if needed? I mean, they are not unique, just pics of windows that XP produces during normal operation.
Hmm, I couldn't say per see. I read through the EULA, but they are always confusing.

In this case, he have some screenshots, but also sells software via links on the main-page.
So for which product does the EULA cover?, or is it the whole thing..? Hard to say imo.

Altho, I can't see how he should have copyright over pictures available to all, unless you link
the picture address directly. Copying to desktop, and then use it as a attachment, I would
think is legal. But better be sure on this, as a law-suit we don't want :D

I counted 82 different tutorials


You actually counted them? hehe :thumbup:
I have sent Lee Indy an email requesting permissions to use the screen shots only.
While the Tutorials by Lee Indy appear competent, I do not intend to ask for copy/paste or word-by-word permission to use his Tutorials or Tutorials from any site for that matter. We ought to create our own Tutorials and/or have explicit permissions from original authors when quoting Tutorials.
I am hoping that permissions for use of Screen Shots can be arranged via Fair Use and Creative Commons standards.

The posting of a link to Lee Indy's site, as Abydos has done here in this Tech Tip, seems to be Fair Use, reasonable and positive. This topic will remain posted here for the linked benefit of our Members unless instructed otherwise after reply from Lee Indy.

Thanks for all of your work in discovering this interesting and useful resource.
I will post back if/when I receive reply from Lee Indy.

Doug
I hope it works out as there are some excellent screen shots there.

Re: We ought to create our own Tutorials, how are you coming in the new How to run chkdsk from Windows XP tutorial :rofl:
Hehe, hope Lee Indy doesn't feel overrun.

I have sent Lee Indy an email


Sent an email to him also. But that was about the right-click
menus and some suggestions for screenshots B)