This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

How do I verify RAM speed and correct operation?

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

System Information:
📎SystemInformation_hide.JPG

Note that the Sony page for Vaio System Information recognizes that 4GB are installed, but the regular System Properties window does not show 4GB, only 3GB.

Recently I upgraded my memory from 3GB to 4GB. I realize that WIndows XP 32-bit cannot address the extra 1GB, but I installed it anyway for 2 reasons:
  • I have been informed that dual RAM slots should match each other for better performance, e.g. memory speed. I had had 1GB and 2GB chips in my two slots previously.
  • I hope to install Windows 7 at some point, and I"m not yet sure about whether to install 32-bit or 64-bit - but I want to be able to choose the 64-bit version
Also note that I have eliminated the Paging File. I have never seen XP use even as much as 2 GB of memory in Task Manager, so why have a page file? If there's more physical memory than I'll ever use, and if it is operating correctly and at good performance, then it didn't make sense to me to write pages back and forth to disk, which I'm under the impression is much slower than RAM access.

I would like to optimize my use of this system.

QUESTION

How do I verify that the RAM is properly functioning, and that it is running at the speed it should be running at?


Thank you!
Linda
Hello Linda Murphy,

Yes, Virtual Memory is slower than RAM, but disabling it will not increase performance. I some cases where certain applications become RAM hungry (such as a browser with lots of tabs open), not having a paging file will cause problems. Windows pre-allocates (or commits) a certain amount of RAM whenever an application starts. Disabling the paging file will limit Windows' ability to commit RAM up to around 3GB (on your 4GB computer), whereas with Virtual Memory turned on, this can be much higher. The impact of this is that some applications may refuse to run or will simply crash half way through.

My advice to you would be the enable Virtual Memory and to set a low minimum and a high maximum for the paging file. Something like 256MB as a minimum and 4096 MB as a maximum.

The other thing I'd like to mention is that Windows only puts rarely accessed data into the paging file. The idea behind that is to free up more RAM for applications which are being currently used. Windows will always use your RAM by default and only uses the paging file either when the RAM runs out, it needs to commit a large chunk of RAM when the application starts or an application specifically requests low priority files to be put into Virtual Memory.

As for using the full 4GB, a 32-bit OS can theoretically address up to 4096 MB (4GB) of RAM. The problem is that Windows doesn't really "like" to do that. This doesn't mean that Windows only uses 3GB of RAM, it just means it can only allocate 3GB of RAM at any given moment. You also have to take into account any RAM shared with an integrated graphics chip and some other components. In most cases it is more desirable to install two identical 2GB RAM modules than an asymmetric pair of 1GB + 2GB.

Anyway, onto testing the RAM. If you want to check the timings, use CPU-Z.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

All you have to do is download it, unzip it and run the application. You want to be looking in the "Memory" tab to compare the actual timings to the timings given in documentation that came with the RAM.

If you're wanting to do a more comprehensive diagnostic test, download and burn Memtest86 to a CD.

http://www.memtest.org/

Once you've burnt it to a disc and restart your computer with the CD inserted. You may need to access the BIOS (usually by press F2, F12 or Delete) to change the Boot Priority List.

Let Memtest do at least 2 or 3 passes. This may take a while, but it will check the RAM for any errors.


I hope that answers your questions.

Cheers,
Nahumi
I'll second Nahumi's recommendation concerning virtual memory. Not only for the reasons mentioned, but due to the fact that Windows requires virtual memory to record crash dumps should the system shutdown unexpectedly. And as even a cursory glimpse of this site can attest, sudden shutdowns/freezes are quite common, thus having a dump file to scrutinize is quite helpful.

Here is a link that will explain the crash dump process: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2267427

The page also explains the different crash dump options, with instructions to change the default process if desired, and the associated virtual memory requirements for each.

Hope this helps :D

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI