This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

RAM Emergency!

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello Everyone!

I need to get some RAM for this Board like NOW!

I have an PTGD1-LA Board, HP says it's a Grouper-GL8E

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc […] uct=448709

The RAM in there now is 2 512mb PC3200, 184 pin DDR SDRAM

Speed supported PC3200 MB/sec

I'm thinking about getting 2 1GB sticks

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applica […] CatId=1600

everything appears to be the same except that it says their 400 MHz and I don't know the latency of the ones in there now.

I have to get these overnighted because I HAVE to upgrade for work on Friday. I just don't want to screw up and get the wrong kind, which knowing the click happy guy I am, I probably will!

So ARE these the right sticks to get for the price?

And any other suggestions?

Thank you, thank you!

BeauKnowsDiddly
Hi Welcome to the WTT forums. To check the exact spec of your RAM go here: www.crucial.com use the online scan (its safe to accept the Active control from that site) This will normally provide you with all you need to know about the exact type of memory you need . Note you don't have the buy the memory from Crucial if you don't want to….. but I have never had a dud from them! Regards paws
Hi, The modules from Crucial will be compatible (and they supply a guarantee to this effect.)

However I can't tell you if the modules from tigerdirect.com are compatible as there are no details shown in your link… B)
(its just a link to their site, not to the actual memory you are considering purchasing.

Check out the specification from Crucial and enquire of tigerdirect if their modules are compatible with your machine, and if they are of good quality and come with a suitable guarantee/warranty that you can easily make use of should it become necessary. All memory is not the same, sometimes you can get a bargain by shopping around and choosing a cheaper deal…… however sometimes this can result in disappointment if the particular memory is either unusable in your machine or of unsatisfactory standard of manufacture. Even the most stringent quality control systems allow a dud module to get through the checking process from time to time…..

Best performance comes with installing matched pairs….. your machine is capable of seating 4 X 1GB modules, however if you have a 32bit Operating system , it will only be able to use around 3.5GB or so….. to use any more needs a 64 bit operating system.
Good luck and I hope yuou choose the right stuff for your machine
Regards
paws
the tiger direct link doesn't lead to any ram, like paws mentioned, so for the memory question, i'd say yes as long as they are the same specs as in the crucial ddr ram link, they will work fine, regardless of make.

:popcorn:

by the way ddr-400 is exactly the same as pc3200, here's a link explaining ddr ram :- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR_SDRAM
Thank you for that Terry, and I just copied and pasted those links in as opposed to clicking the insert link icon, sorry about that

The link to my actual board specs is:

Pavilion a867c

and the RAM I was asking about is:

New RAM

Sorry I'm such an airhead and thanks again!
If cost is an issue, why not buy 2x1GB modules? For 32bit XP, your system won't recognize more than 3GB of ram and can only use about 2.75GB. I have only recently installed 4GB (up from 2GB) of ram in my system which duel-boots XP and W7. I haven't noticed any performance improvement with either OS. There probably is a small improvement, but it has not been noticeable and I run some very memory intensive modern PC games. For 64bit XP or W7, 4GB of ram would be worthwhile, but the average PC user would be hard pressed utilizing it anyway IMHO. Cheers, Lee

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI