This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Constant Freezing

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I've been having problems with my laptop. I've had it for a year and its a Dell Inspiron m5010 that included Windows 7. My laptop suddenly started freezing up every so often when I installed Sims 3 on it. I deleted the files but the system kept freezing on me. I reformatted my computer and it seemed to stop freezing for a few days but it started once more. Sometimes it freezes at start up or it might freeze an hour later. I have installed all the updates for the laptop up to this point. I uninstalled the Microsoft security essentials because I had read others had, had similar problems like this and removing it had solved the problem. I would really appreciate it if anyone could help. Thank you, Mia
Hi Miakio. Welcome to WTT :thumbup:

You probably have too many start-up programs and maybe not enough ram to cope (4GB is good). Especially as you have W7.

Get rid of non-essential start-up programs. They will still work fine when needed, but won't start up on boot which takes up ram and cpu resources.

Go to Start / Run / and type in msconfig Then click on start-up / and now untick unessential programs (anything that is not Microsoft Windows or security software) / apply and close.

If you need more specific instructions (don't know which programs to exclude from start-up), let us know.

Cheers,
Lee
Hi, Thanks for the info but unfortunately I'm not tech savvy. I really don't feel like I can click on an item and have a running laptop afterwords. I'd appreciate the extra help. Thank you. Mia
Download to desktop and run TFC - Temp File Cleaner by OldTimer
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/files/file/…er-by-oldtimer/ This program will clean out all your temp. files.

Then download CodeStuff Starter to desktop. This small program will display all your startup items.
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Star…nload-2345.html

When installing, choose 'custom' (install) and untick the language pack and the taskbar shortcut location. Leave the desktop location ticked.
Run and you will see your startup items. Click on 'file' at the top left of the page. Click on 'save as plain text'. Under 'save as' choose Desktop and name the file 'Startup'. Copy and paste the file into your next post.

Cheers,
Lee

PS Edit. You said you uninstalled Security Essentials. What have you replaced it with or are you running with no antivirus program?
Okay. I did uninstall Security Essentials and I haven't replaced it yet with anything. I ran the CodeStuff Starter and this is what you asked me to copy and paste. Name,Value,Section,Enabled,Description,Company "Dell DataSafe Online",""C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell DataSafe Online\DataSafeOnline.exe" /m","Registry - Machine Run","1","DataSafeOnline","" "Dell Dock.lnk","C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\DellDock\DellDock.exe","Startup - Current User","1","","" "Dell Webcam Central",""C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell Webcam\Dell Webcam Central\WebcamDell2.exe" /mode2","Registry - Machine Run","1","WebcamDell2.exe (Dell Webcam Central)","Creative Technology Ltd" "DellSupportCenter",""C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtcmd.exe" /P DellSupportCenter","Registry - Machine Run","1","","" "Launcher","C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell DataSafe Local Backup\Components\scheduler\Launcher.exe","Registry - Machine RunOnce","1","VistaLauncher (Softthinks Launcher)","Softthinks" "msnmsgr",""C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background","Registry - User Run","1","Windows Live Messenger","Microsoft Corporation" "StartCCC",""C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe" MSRun","Registry - Machine Run","1","Catalyst® Control Center Launcher (Catalyst® Control Center)","Advanced Micro Devices, Inc." Thanks, Mia
Hi Mia,

Your startup menu looks OK and I guess I jumped to conclusions there (sorry), as often with freezing problems there are too many programs running. Your PC is however very light on RAM (memory) with only 1GB installed. W7 really needs 2GB min. for smooth running. Once you start adding programs, especially games, you will experience sluggish behavior or even freezing problems

The only thing I would disable in startup so far is "DellSupportCenter". It's really not needed as a startup program. There are other programs that could safely be disabled, but they shouldn't be causing any issue.

If you can afford it, I'd have another 1GB of RAM added to your PC. It would certainly improve your user experience and RAM is relatively simple to install and fairly cheap. Failing that, you will have to run a lean PC and without Sims 3 I'm afraid :(

I reformatted my computer

What actualy did you do when you say you "reformatted"?

Security Essentials is one of the better and user friendly Antivirus programs out there. It is often recommended by Techs here. All you really did by removing it was free up RAM space I think. That said, you still really need an antivirus program to protect your PC from viruses.

I'd suggest Avast http://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php
Or Avira (what I use, but both are good) http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus

If you like, you could run a test that would allow me to have a really good look at how your PC is running, what programs are installed and what programs could be swapped for more efficient ones that do the same thing etc. In other words, how to best utilize your 1GB of RAM. Let me know :)

Cheers,
Lee

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI