This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

can't connect to inernet after reseting back to factory

24 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Can a "bug" really take out my internet connection this way? This is too crazy!


Stranger things have happened…….

However I'm concerned that the lower light on the modem is not lit….. it should be lit when the modem is connected to the computer and should flash when data is being transferred….

It might be a good idea to speak with your Internet firm and ask them about the modem and the light as they may have some useful information….. (we can't rule out that the modem is faulty…. but your Internet firm might be able to tell if you speak to them.

I'll leave you to contact them, but here's the next steps for your to take, when you have done that:

1 Open a command prompt with elevated priviliges ( Click on Start button.
Type Cmd in the Start Search text box.
Press Ctrl-Shift-Enter keyboard shortcut to run Command Prompt as Administrator. Allow elevation request.
and type the following
netsh Int ip reset resetlog.txt
press the enter key
next type
netsh int ip reset catalog
press the enter key
Next
Type netsh winsock reset
press enter key
next type
ipconfig /release
press the enter key
next
ipconfig /flush dns
press the enter key
lastly type
ipconfig /renew
press the enter key
To exit the command promp type
exit
press the enter key
Note you must get the spacing in the above commands correct…copy and paste is best!
Restart the computer and see if this has done the trick
when you post back please advise if you have used "winsockfix" yet
Regards
paws
Once again ist has taken me some time to get back to you. I'm hoping it won't happen again. I got caught up with my 3 yr. old's birthday party and had to switch out laptops - my husband needed his back for work but my mom gave me her slo-o-ow old one. It's kind of painful waiting for it to load pages and, well, pretty much doing anything on it. As for my desktop… I could not get anywhere with the cable people so I did the steps that you posted. Here's what it said: Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001] Copyright © 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Windows\system32>netsh Int ip reset resetlog.txt Reseting Echo Request, failed. Access is denied. There's no user specified settings to be reset. C:\Windows\system32>netsh int ip reset catalog Reseting Echo Request, failed. Access is denied. There's no user specified settings to be reset. C:\Windows\system32>netsh winsock reset Sucessfully reset the Winsock Catalog. You must restart the computer in order to complete the reset. C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /release Windows IP Configuration Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::a871:4f8c:6a3d:9767%10 Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.151.103 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /flush dns Error: unrecognized or incomplete command line. USAGE: ipconfig [/allcompartments] [/? | /all | /renew [adapter] | /release [adapter] | /renew6 [adapter] | /release6 [adapter] | /flushdns | /displaydns | /registerdns | /showclassid adapter | /setclassid adapter [classid] ] where adapter Connection name (wildcard characters * and ? allowed, see examples) Options: /? Display this help message /all Display full configuration information. /allcompartments Display information for all compartments. /release Release the IPv4 address for the specified adapter. /release6 Release the IPv6 address for the specified adapter. /renew Renew the IPv4 address for the specified adapter. /renew6 Renew the IPv6 address for the specified adapter. /flushdns Purges the DNS Resolver cache. /registerdns Refreshes all DHCP leases and re-registers DNS names /displaydns Display the contents of the DNS Resolver Cache. /showclassid Displays all the dhcp class IDs allowed for adapter. /setclassid Modifies the dhcp class id. The default is to display only the IP address, subnet mask and default gateway for each adapter bound to TCP/IP. For Release and Renew, if no adapter name is specified, then the IP address leases for all adapters bound to TCP/IP will be released or renewed. For Setclassid, if no ClassId is specified, then the ClassId is removed. Examples: > ipconfig … Show information > ipconfig /all … Show detailed information > ipconfig /renew … renew all adapters > ipconfig /renew EL* … renew any connection that has its name starting with EL > ipconfig /release *Con* … release all matching connections, eg. "Local Area Connection 1" or "Local Area Connection 2" > ipconfig /allcompartments … Show information about all compartments > ipconfig /allcompartments /all … Show detailed information about all compartments C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /renew Windows IP Configuration An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to con tact your DHCP server. Request has timed out. C:\Windows\system32>exit Looks kind of hopeless to me…. but then again I'm definitely not the one to say.
Hi, You are still not getting an Ip address from your modem/router I think this is the time to zero in to see if its the router that is at fault or your computer or the line. 1 You will need to get hold of a known working good modem/router and install it……. if this causes the problem to go away then you will know that the romodem/router was faulty 2 You could try a known good working laptop computer (borrow one from a chum) if this connects Ok to your existing modem/router then it points to a fault with your computer set up. 3 Are you still getting no light illuminated on the bottom light on the modem? If so what did your ISP ( Internet company) say about it? Normally it is necessary for this to be lit to get a connection. 4 Did your ISP check your line/cable for faults….? Regards paws
Its really sad when I put off posting a reply which could get me one step closer to having my "good" computer fixed all because of how slo-o-o-ow the laptop is that I have to use to connect to the internet. Should be incentive for me to reply sooner but this laptop is so slow its painful… About the modem (there is no router)… the one that I am currently using is new. When this whole problem started a few weeks ago the cable people suggested that I try a different ethernet cable… I tried it and it didn't work. So, I went out and bought a new modem. The new modem and old modem both have worked on first my husband's laptop and now this other(incredibly slow) laptop. All I've ever had to do with them is just plug each thing in to it's proper outlet or port. Presto! I am able to connect just fine. Its just the desktop that I cannot connect with. I'm thinking that with your help we've really narrowed this down to the computer not the modem, and specifically to the connection between the cable and the computer/the port for the ethernet cable. But (and this might just be me because I've never done it this way before) I can't connect with the usb cord either. My preference is to use the ethernet cable anyway. I've never tried the usb cable to connect the laptops to the internet so maybe I just am not doing it correctly. Regardless, if its the ethernet port/adapter I would rather fix it and make the computer work the way it always has been. The anwswers to you other points are: 1. the bottom light is illuminated when it is connected to the laptops just not when connected to the desktop. 2. the cable company has told me each time that I've called them that they show a stron signal and that the problems are on my end of things. They said according to them I should be connecting to the internet just fine unless there's something wrong with the port or the ethernet cable. And, it's not the ethernet cable because I'm using the modem and cable right now on this laptop. I'm still holding out hope that I won't need to buy some sort of "part" to fix it but if I do maybe I'll luck out and it will be something I can do myself. Keeping my fingers crossed:)
Hi Ok, I understand. It seems clear then that it is your desktop computer that is the problem….. I don't currently have a computer in my workshop that is running Vista…(they are all using Win XP at the moment) so I will set up a test machine and install Vista on it to mimic as far as possible your set up. I'll then pick up with you the next steps that we will need to take, to get you connected…. Hang on in there….. we will get this sorted out for you…one way or the other! I have a full work day today but should be able to start setting up the Vista machine from around 8pm tonight…… It shouldn't take me longer than an hour to set it up, but as I'm in the UK, times are GMT so bear with me please whilst there is a short delay before getting back to you. Regards paws
Hi, I've now set up a test machine and installed Vista on it, so I'll be able to provide detailed instructions for you on the next steps.
However before we go any further, I want you to redo some of the previous steps….. in the outputs you posted I noticed syntax errors
(indicating that some of the commands were not typed correctly….) just a space in the wrong place or putting one in when there shouldn't be one there is enough to cause problems) So if you see things in these directions that you have already done then this is the reason!

Firstly, please check again your network adapter:
Here's how to open Device Manager

1 Click the Start button, type "device manager" in the search box, and press the Enter key
2 In the list of results, click Device Manager. If you're asked for an admin password or confirmation, type it in or provide confirmation.
3 Double-click "Network adapters"
4 Right-click your network adapter It should be called Nvidia
5 Click Properties, and then, under Device status, check to see that the device is working properly.
6 Very important… Right clicked on the Nvidia network adapter and on the drop down list you should see "Disable" as the second one down from the top…we want to make sure that it is actually enabled so if the second one down from the top says "disable" then this is fine, but we will still make sure by selecting "Disable" you will then get a warning box come up Select YES, next we need to enable it so right click again and this time the second item from the top on the drop down box should be "Enable" so click on this and the screen should blank for a micro second and then come back

That finishes that part of the procedure so you can close (X out) Device Manager
Let me know please if you receive any error messages from any of the above.

When copying and pasting stuff, a quick way is to select the stuff you want to copy (highlight it) and then press Ctrl+c (that is to say hold down the Ctrl key and at the same time press once the c key on the keyboard)… nothing will appear to happen but your computer will have copied the selected stuff to the clipboard…… when you want to paste it, then just place your cursor to where you want to paste the stuff and use Ctrl+v (forgive me if I seem to be trying to "teach Granny how to such eggs") I just thought it might help!… :D

Next stepClick on Start
click on Control panel
Click on Classic View
Click on Internet options
Click on the tab "Connections"
If there is anything in the white box, then please report back
make sure that "Never dial a connection" has a tick (checkmark) in it (it should normally be there but very grey/pale)
Click on LAN settings
Make sure there is nothing in any of the boxes and in particular that he little white box to the left of "Use a proxy server" is clear…NO tick/checkmark in it…if there is a mark in there, remove it and click on Ok
Reboot your computer and see if you have an Internet connection.
Report back please
Regards
paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI