This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

can't connect to inernet after reseting back to factory

24 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I've been searching here and other resouces for almost a week now to figure out how to get my computer to connect to the internet again after some problems. I've read that others have had the same problems and have tried their "fixes" but the problem is technology has finally surpassed my abilities (I figured this would happen when I got "old" like my parents who haven't bothered to keep up with the tech-world, not at 34 when some of my most important communication is via internet.) Here's what happened… Last Saturday morning while surfing the web a message popped on the screen that said my computer was at at risk of being infected by spyware or a virus or something. I ordinarily would ignore such a message but in the year-and-a-half that I've had this computer I've never really become ccustomed to Vista and all of its pop-up messages and programs like Windows Defender and such. So, I clicked it (it looked fairly official) and, despite the bad feeling I had about it, I cliked run in the next box that asked me to run or save. Obviously, I had just allowed some sort of program to run on my computer now I was getting new little messages in the form of those annoying word bubble like things from the taskbar. I tried to run McAfee to see what I'd done but it no longer worked (more word-bubble messages). Finally, I thought I should just restart the computer and when I closed out of everything my desktop background had been changed to a blue (but patterned) screen with a red WARNING message. Oh, carp**! It was obviously infected with something. Restart, didn't work. This bug made it so I couldn't access any programs through my account. However, wen I went into my husbands I was able to run McAfee. That seemed to clear things up somewhat. For instance, I could now see my regular desktop background. But I couldn't access the internet through either account. I've had my share of other weird "bugs" in the past and decided setting the computer back to factory, though a monster pain with saving everything and updating everything again, should rid me of the bug and I'd deal with getting it set up the way I like it at a later time. It didn't work. To make matters worse, apparantly our cable payment hadn't been aplied to our account. So while I was working on these issues I notice that we had no TV. I correctly assumed we had no internet either but after the payment issue was cleared up and the TV was working we still couldn't connect to the internet. So here's the beginning of all the things we've been through to this point: The cable peple helped us detirmine that it wasn't on there end of things and suggested we try a new ethernet cable. We tried it… didn't work. She had me check things with ipconfig/all and didn't like what it said. We checked the Network Adapters in Device Manager and she said we were missing the ethernet adapter. So she gave me the webaddress to get the driver for it. That lady and I parted ways and I was now on my own. I downloaded that, installed it (I think but everything looked like it did before in that area)… didn't fix it. I bought a new modem hoping to bypass the ethernet deal all together and use a usb cord… even with the cd I couldn't download the necessary driver. By the way, everything cable modem related was working well and connected just fine when I hooked my husband's laptop to it - which is how I'm getting by right now. After each thing I tried I rechecked ipconfig/all and always got "media disconnected" for every thing that came up on the list (this is the stuff I don't really understand at all) So I searched the web for ways to fix this. Eventually, I got to a point where there was no longer the red X on the connection icon in the taskbar. Instead there was a yellow exclamation triangle. After checking ipconfig/all again only the "tunnel adapter 6" was disconnected. And when I go to the network and sharing center it says I have "limited connectivity" which really means NO connectivity because I still can't get to the internet. I went to the acer website and downloaded all the drivers it says should be on my computer, an Acer Aspire X1200 running Vista 64-bit, and put them on a disk. But I don't know what to do with them because I cannot even figure out what the ethernet adapter driver is called. It's taken me days, obviously, to get this far because I can barely string together an hour each day for this detective work as I keep getting interrupted by my 3 & 5 year old. So, if you post to me it might take me a lttle time to follow you directions and respond back but I will get back to you. I am so lost…. please help.
Hi, and welcome to the WTT forums
Sorry to hear of the problems with your computer.
It sounds as though you have had quite a time with this.
I think the root of the trouble may be in the infection which your machine got…. to check on this we need to take things one step at a time…..
It would be wise for you to visit here:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=106388
follow the directions, posting your logs in that forum (not here please as we do not analyse them on this subforum)

As you can't access the Internet at the moment on the infected computer, then it might be wise to download the tools (for scanning your machine etc) on your husband's machine and burn them to CD and then use the CD on the potentially infected machine….

The expert malware fighters on the virus and spyware removal forum will provide you with detailed, clear and very understandable step by step instructions on how best to procced to start the checking and cleaning of your computer.

When you post your topic there please make your topic heading "referred by paws" and provide them with the link to this topic here.
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?ac…19&t=117441
Once your machine has been declared clear of undesirable elements and if you are still having issues with it, post back here in this subforum and we will do our best to help you.
Regards
paws
It's like Poltergeist… I'm ba-ack. Ractor said my logs look clean. Good news :woot: for sure! But… whammy for me… I still can't connect. Everything is as it was before. I haven't messed with anything but running the programs that Raktor asked for. And I'll just keep it that way til I hear back from you. And in that light, thank you for taking the time to work with those of us who know so very little in this computer world.
You need to install the Chipset driver, it includes support for LAN,SataIDE,RAID,SMBus,SMU,GPU.

[external image: Posted Image]
I must be completely crazy. I did install the chipset driver but still can't connect. I had read about installing this before and tried to at least once before (I think twice before). THis was the first time that I saw anything about ethernet wen I unzipped the file, so I got excited thinking this time it would work But not so… could a virus have killed my network card (read about that, too, somewhere)? I'm not even sure I know what that is.
Hi, glad to hear your machine is clear of infection…. Don't' worry we will stick to this until we can get you connected again! The next step is for you to check in Device Manager that your network adapter is installed and working properly Please expand the line "network adapters" and advise what is shown there (copy out the text please) then right click on each one and click on properties advise the results please. Are there any yellow or Red markers against any of the network adapters? Regards paws
Ok, If you need me to actually copy & paste what it says then I'm not sure how. But I am looking at it right now while I'm typing this so I can let you know what it says that way, for now.

Network Adapters
NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Networking Controller


both of those have the "two computers" icon next to them on the left and there are no red or yellow anythings… Just the computers.

When I right click on that, the NVIDIA thing, and bring up the properites this is what it says:

General Tab: NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Networking Controller
Device Type: Network Adapters
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
PCI bus 0, device 10, function 0
Device Status: This device is working properly.

Advanced Tab:
Flow Control: Disabled
Interrupt Moderation: Enabled
IP Checksum Offload: RX & TX Enabled
Large Send Offload V1 (IPv4): Enabled
Large Send Offload V2 (IPv4): Enabled
Large Send Offload V2 (IPv6): Enabled
Low Power State Link Speed: Enabled
Network Address: Not Present
Priority & VLAN: Priority Enabled
Reset PHY If Not In Use: Disable
Speed/duplex settings: 10 MB Full Duplex
TCP Checksum Offload (IPv4): RX & TX Enabled
TCP Checksum Offload (IPv6): RX & TX Enabled
UDP Checksum Offload (IPv4): RX & TX Enabled
UDP Checksum Offload (IPv6): RX & TX Enabled
VLAN Id: 1
WakeOnLan From PowerOff: Enabled


I didn't think you'd need any of the other tabs but if you do I'll get those too.
Hi Ok it looks as though your network adapter is working Ok, and this also tells me that you are not connecting to your router wirelessly but have an Ethernet cable connected between the network port on the back of your computer to your router…….. is that correct? Next please open a command prompt with elevated priviliges and type in the following: ipconfig /all and press the Enter key copy the output please and post back with it. Note to close the command prompt type exit and press the Enter key also please note in the ipconfig /all there is a space twix g and / (it needs to be there!) Regards paws
Here is an easy way to get the ipconfig info:

Click on Start then Run and paste the following into the Run box, exactly as show, including double quotes:

cmd /c "ipconfig /all > postme.txt & ping yahoo.com >> postme.txt & notepad postme.txt & del postme.txt"

and press ENTER.

A file will open in Notepad. Please copy and paste the contents here. Close the Notepad window and the file will be deleted and the Command Prompt window will also close.
Here's what I got from ipconfig /all: Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001] Copyright © 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /all Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Home-PC Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Networking Controller Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-72-A0-13-2C DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::a871:4f8c:6a3d:9767%10(Preferred) Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.151.103(Preferred) Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1 fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1 fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1 NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{E0D06775-7709-4D6B-9065-A099CEF1B 7BB} Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes C:\Windows\system32>
I noticed there were a few differences from what I posted before after I did the cut and paste thing that Ztruker posted. So here's what cam of that: Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Home-PC Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Networking Controller Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-72-A0-13-2C DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::a871:4f8c:6a3d:9767%10(Preferred) Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.151.103(Preferred) Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1 fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1 fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1 NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{E0D06775-7709-4D6B-9065-A099CEF1B7BB} Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Ping request could not find host yahoo.com. Please check the name and try again. Just wanted you to have anything and everything that might help. And thank you so much for working on this for so long. The Tech team and this forum has been most impressive.
Hi, This line from your ipconfig Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.151.103 indicates that you are not getting an IP address from your router and this is likely the cause of the problem. 1 Please advise the make and model number of your /modem/router/gateway/wireless access point 2 Please advise if your Internet is provided by ASDL or cable network 3 Are you connecting your router to your computer by Ethernet cable or wirelessly 4 Have you tried to power cycle your modem/router wireless access point? and rebooted your computer Let us know if you need instructions on to do these steps Regards paws
Great… sounds like we might be getting to the good stuff :) I only use a modem hooked directly to the computer via the ethernet cable (no router… haven't made it to the wireless world yet). The modem is a Motorola Surfboard Cable Modem model # SB5101U. The internet sevice is provided by Charter Cable. I'm not sure what you mean exactly in #4 but I have done the 'unplug the modem, wait 60 seconds for it to reset, plug it back in thing' a few different times. On the other hand, it can't hurt to try it again but can you tell me in which order I should do everything, just so I know I'm doing it right. Thanks again.
Hi, Ok,
Please take a look here:
http://www.motorola.com/web/Business/Produ…ide_English.pdf

1 Is this the modem you have?
I just want to be certain that we are talking about the same sort of set up….(both singing from the same hymn book!)
2 If it is then save the pfd file to your desktop (so its easy to refer to)
3 Next take a look at the connecting wires on the back of your modem ( it should look like the picture on the left side
4 Note its very important that you have only the one method of connecting, that is to say Ethernet or USB (not both at the same time)
5 So if you have a USB cable in place on your modem please remove it from both the modem and your computer and make sure that the Ethernet cable is connected to the network port on the back of your computer and the modem (the connectors are made so that they should make a satisfying "click" when they are fully pushed home.
6 Please follow the instructions on the pdf file on the installation of the modem (see also no 2 on page 10)
7 When you get to Connecting to the Internet on page 11 please reboot your computer, ( this is a full close down (not a sleep or a hibernate, or a standby but a full shutdown wait 2 minutes with a blank black screen (by the clock please not a second earlier!)
8 Now restart your computer and wait for 6 minutes (by the clock please not a second earlier)
9 Now see if you have an Internet connection. If so rejoice! if not then follow all the other instructions in the pfd file, do a final reboot remeber the timings! then if still no joy we will do the power recycling….( to save me a lot of typing here I've copied a set of instructions that I used on this forum for someone who had a similar problem…..
10 Next power cycle your modem and router, Here's how:

A1. Shut down your computer system (full shut off, not a sleep hibernate/standby)
A2. Unplug the power cable from your modem
A3. Unplug your power cable from your router (if you have one)
A4. Keep them unplugged for 5 minutes, (by the clock) this will clear out the junk and let them reset themselves.
A5. Plug the power cable for the modem back in and make sure all the lights come on All the vertical lights on the front of the modem should be lit and "solid" (not flashing)…. post back if this is not so.
A6. Plug the power to your router back in and wait until all the lights come on. (make sure you do A5 and A6 in the correct order!)
A7 Restart your computer, wait 5 minutes (by the clock, not a second sooner) and then try your Internet connection for a short test with your software firewall and your anti virus turned off (don't forget to turn it on when you have done, and don't do anything at all on the Internet apart from a short test to:
www.bbc.co.uk
and certainly don't do anything like downloading emails with your AV off!)
If your Internet is back then rejoice!
If not then post back and we will advise the next steps.
Regards
paws
Sorry, about taking so long to get back with you. We're definitely singing from the same hymn book, tha's my modem. So, I went through everything in your first steps there and got nothing. So, I continued to the next part of recycling the modem. In the part labeled A6 you said ALL the lights were supposed to be on. My bottom light PC/ACTIVITY did not come on. I still went throught the other steps because I thought maybe I had to be connected to the internet before I'd see it (it blinks when it's connected to the laptop and working). But still… nothing. Can a "bug" really take out my internet connection this way? This is too crazy!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI