This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Trouble with Boot Virus

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I've previously posted a topic on this subject which can be found here: Boot.Tidserv.B on Win7 64bit

Not to knock anyone but given my own perspective I was strongly discouraged by how long it took to get any reply at all. We're all busy but I'm sure you can understand how I felt. In any event, once I finally recieved a reply I came here to read and reply but tto my dismay there was no reply button anywhere. No idea why that was. Internet demons I presume. I've never, ever, been accused of being "technically retarded", aka technically uninclined, so I dunno. I read that topics are closed after five days without reply and thought maybe it was that. Lol, although I thought it would be a kind of odd joke to wait six days to reply to a thread then close it as per rules at the same time.

Anywho, point being I wanted to try and continue this dialogue but was having some technical issues. In fact, I am not even able to message TomK privately, as I would've preferred that. To be clear here: I'm not complaining nor poorly judging the efforts of anyone here. I'm simply saying real life and technical difficulties have gotten in the way of me getting help. I'd like to continue please. Heck, I myself, have been distracted for the past week as I just started a new job. :-)

I appreciate your support in this matter.

~John

P.S. Oh and in reply to TomK's message. Yes that is correct, there is no way possible to boot into any form of windows. All attempts result in the afore mentioned blue screens.
John,

Please understand that this and all the other malware removal forums are staffed by volunteers, we help users like you on this and many other forums. We do this in our spare time whenever we can. The general turn around time for a reply depending on how busy we are can be 4 or 5 days, TomK replied to your post in 3 and you never replied back so the topic was closed after 5 days.

Can you still not boot to windows ?

If you cant , post here in our windows forum for help getting your system to boot. Once your up and running post back here and run this program and lets see whats going on with your system
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showforum=119



Download DDS from one of the links below to your desktop

Link 1
Link 2

  • Double click the tool to run it.
  • A black Screen will open, just read the contents and do nothing.
  • When the tool finishes, it will open 2 reports, DDS.txt and attach.txt
  • Copy/Paste the contents of 'DDS.txt' into your post.
  • 'attach.txt' should be zipped using Windows native zip utility and attached to your post. Compress and uncompress files (zip files)

I will keep this thread open for you so post back when you can but I cant keep it open forever so if its closed just PM me and I will reopen it

Ken

John,

Please understand that this and all the other malware removal forums are staffed by volunteers, we help users like you on this and many other forums. We do this in our spare time whenever we can.


Right, like I said I was not judging so much as having the standard "My Baby is sick" panic attack and wanting instant satisfaction. You know, standard American syndrome. Hehe. I'll go post in that other forum to see about getting Windows bootable but my hopes are pretty low at this point. Very little has been posted (anywhere on the net) about successfully recovering from a Boot Virus.

One question I have yet to get an answer to, and would like, is regarding saving my data. If the virus is in the boot sector and I've since thoroughly cleaned the hard disk of any virused files with two different AV's… can I safely connect it as a secondary drive and attempt file retrieval? In other words does that boot sector get, er, "enacted" when one is NOT booting from that disk?
John, There are tools we use to remove boot viruses, but with no logs its hard to say exactly what you have. There is a rootkit going around thats infecting the master boot record, not sure if this is what you have. As far as saving files, let them walk you through it. They may have you do a system repair that will install windows on top of the current copy of windows and if they do that you may still be infected but you will lose no data. They may feel that a complete format in install of windows is the way to go, not sure what there course of action will be, if the latter is the case ask them about saving your files. John, to do either of the above you will need your windows CD or the Recovery CD that came with your computer

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI