Cannot recall from where I obtained the URL for this Web page but it could have been on YouTube. As an amateur enthusiast (with lots of experience gained by default) I am hoping to release some of my frustrations from knowledge gained from other subscribers to the forum. For example, two days ago I put Windows 7 on to a clean HDD and encountered numerous problems like sluggish downloads, frequent interruptions to the Internet, lack of drivers and having to go to the distributor's Web pages to get them, then having Windows 7 reject them, and having to accept a package of programs when all I wanted was the email program; and there were many others minor nuisances. After 12 hours attempting to put Windows 7 on to my PC I surrendered, and returned to the best that MS has yet produced, XP! It took 45 minutes to put XP back on the system! Am I the only one who has come stuck with Windows 7?
We don't have enough information about your machine to give you sensible advice about running Windows 7 as an operating system with your present components.
Most machines built in the past 2 years, with single core CPU and at least 1gb Ram, or duo core CPU and 2gb ram are probably capable of running it smoothly. and Windows 7 seems to be performing pretty well with finding drivers for hardware.
There are experienced folks who have successfully installed Windows 7 on much more limited machines.
But for "general use" you should follow the Vista Ready or Windows 7 ready guidelines offered by Microsoft.
If you would like to follow up your question to gather additional information, please post a fresh topic over in our Microsoft Windows Forum, where we would ordinarily provide such help.
This Meet and Greet Forum is for introductions and hello's and is not well suited to getting into detailed technical issues.
Best Regards
Thanks folk; advice taken. I will re-post on the appropriate thread; now where is that Belarc Advisor? It should be added that I am the only one among friends and family who is hooked on PC software and hardware but too often the technical jargon beats me!