Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91867 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Internet speed

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chrissy72

chrissy72

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:34 AM

Ok guys, I need some of your expert advice as I have a feeling my ISP provider is giving me the run around (Im sure they use operators in thier tech help that speak broken english just to bamboozle me :rofl: )

I am on an ADSL2+ connection which as you can see from the graph below, should be giving me up to 24000 kbps speed.
Yet when I did a speed test this is what the results were.

[`[*Test Results from <a href="http://www.ozspeedte...ts/15211829">Oz Broadband Speed Test</a>*]`]
[(----------------------------------
Test run on [*22/02/2011*] @ [*09:06 PM*])]

[(Mirror: [*Telstra Bigpond*]
Data: [*3 MB*]
Test Time: [*8.12 secs*])]

[(Your line speed is [*3.02 Mbps*] (3016 kbps).
Your download speed is [*377 KB/s*] (0.37 MB/s). )]

I had all other applications closed at the time and only my pc connected via ethernet connection. I live approx 1km away from my nearest exchange.

I rang my ISP to query this. They told me this was perfectly in range for ADSL2+. Here are the ranges they gave me;

24/1 ADSL2+ 1500/700 - 24000/1000 kbps 188/88 - 3000/125 KB/s

Ok, Im gathering I should be looking at the lower ranges, but since my speeds are not much above the minimums, what steps can I take to get them higher if any?

Thanks
Chrissy. :D

PS; If I have posted this in the wrong forum, please feel free to move it.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. -Albert Einstein.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:49 PM

Around here in the U.S., 3 Mbps is above average for a DSL connection. And the upstream on these babies are often less than .5 Mbps. If you're lucky, you can purchase the most expensive service and maybe get 6 Mbps. Your ISP can talk about "up to" speeds all day long, but don't expect to actually get them, especially on DSL where even a couple hundred feet of distance makes a difference. I don't know about the outback, but your speeds looks perfectly normal to me. If you want faster downstream and upstream you'll probably have to switch to cable, or go with a fiber optic service like ATT's U-Verse around here.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#3 chrissy72

chrissy72

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:43 PM

Thankyou for your reply Appleoddity. I dont think we have cable services here? ADSL2+ Is the fastest speed we can get, I have a friend who is running at 18Mbps on a similar plan on another ISP provider. I thought maybe there could be some tweeking I could do to speed mine up lol. I guess I will just have to wait until my contract expires and go with the other company lol. Thankyou again for your help Chrissy.

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:45 AM

Hi Chrissy, with ADSL via traditional copper wire connections then distance from the telephone exchange is a prime factor in the speeds that can achieved. Its important to note that the distance refers not to distance on a map between subscriber and telephone exchange, but the actual length of the copper wires that join one to another...(up and down telegraph poles, across streets etc...) If you live next door to the telephone exchange you should get good speeds...... but if not, speed decays with distance (purists please forgive me!) until it reaches a point when the connection just errr, doesn't connect for broadband, and then its necessary to seek alternative methods of connecting (cable, satellite etc.) The A in the ADSL stands for Asymmetric this is why the upload speed is usually far less than the download speed.... Hope this helps Incidentally, If you are getting 3Mbps (down) you are doing far better than me! Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 chrissy72

chrissy72

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 08:54 AM

Thankyou for explaining that for me Paws. If I am getting a good speed then thats great. I dont have much need for it myself, but my boys play ps3 online and they seem to get a lot of lag so thats why I was a bit concerned that I wasnt getting what I am paying for. Chrissy.