Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Internet connection speed differences.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 esswun

esswun

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 05:40 PM

I have the worst ISP in the world, Broadstripe. It's expensive, the customer service isn't very good and the internet speed is terrible. I'm supposed to have 15mb speed but that's far from the truth. The other day it took about 20 hours to DL 4.5gb and the data transfer rate never showed over 200k. It's the only option for cable where I live. =(

What I find weird though is how different speed test sites say I have different speeds.
I just did a test on http://reviews.cnet....net-speed-test/ and it shows 444.5k.
Likewise I tried http://www.speedtest.net/ and it showed 3.04mb down and 1.14mb up.

Now I used the same 2 sites the other day and it showed 700-something k and like 9.5mb respectively. Now, this was when I was downloading the 4.5gb thing I previously mentioned so there's no way I was getting 9.5mb, but even the 700k would have been generous.

Any ideas why there would be such large discrepancies on these speed tests (which I'm pretty sure I'm not getting those speeds anyway)? In comparison I used to have Comcast at an old address which consistently showed 6.0mb on the Cnet test and I could DL like a 300mb movie files very fast (just minutes not hours or anything).

Just curious about this. Maybe I'm not understanding speeds correctly or something. =\

Advertisements

Register to Remove