This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

DSL Download Speeds

14 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have DSL Extreme suppose to be 6.0 MBPS download but all the best I have ever seen was 796 kbps tops, was wondering if something is wrong or is AT&T ripping me off. Best speed before upgrading to this was 96 kbps and this was DSL light, reason I upgraded to faster was to get more download speeds. Any suggestions as to why I have not seen anything faster? My sister just moved a few houses down from me and I have seen 1 MP speeds on her pc which is one that I built for her and not the same as this one.
Actually productive download speed may be considerably less than anticipated rate.
i.e. downloading from a site is also dependent upon the speed of that host and the amount of traffic presently at that host.

How are your testing?

this site is part of a recent government project.
Seems fairly accurate and reliable when I've used it a few times these past few days.

http://www.broadband.gov/
________________

If you've walked through your modem and router setup, and optimized your computer's receive cache size, then you should look to your telephone wiring.
Distance from Main NIC can make a difference, especially if you have a long telephone wire extension leading to your DSL Modem.

The Website DSLreports has a few DSL-doctor type tutorials that may help with your configuration.
___________________

Not having some of your telephone appliances filtered can cause difficulty.
As can having your DSL modem plugged into the filtered side, instead of the non-filtered side of the split filter.


Could be a problem with telephone lines delivering to your neighborhood, or the one directly to your house, or your NIC on the outside of your house.
Broken wire or wire with stripped or cracked insulation, or a nail/staple piercing the wire , or corrosion in the NIC box, can cause a problem… track your wiring as far back as you can from your DSL Modem back to the NIC at the outside of your house, and from there to the pole or underground.
If you have a multi-meter, I think the phone line is supposed to deliver 30 volts to your NIC.

If you call for service, the first thing they should be able to do is run a line-test remotely (at no cost to you).
Most always, unless there is a major fault, this line-test won't tell you much.

If you have the phone company come out and they find that there is "no problem" on their side… up to and including the NIC box, they will charge you for the service call and blame your inside wiring. If you happen to have inside wiring service as part of your phone subscription (a few dollars monthly) then they will examine your inside wiring… usually testing at the phone jack where you connect to your DSL modem.

I carry that monthly charge just for this very reason, to get full service if I need it, and I have used it a couple of times.

If there is a problem "on their side" it may not be anything wrong with your wiring, NIC or wire leading up to your house.
It can be at the neighborhood switching box.
I've had the phone company move my neighborhood switching connection to different connections and received much better service.

It has to do with the number of houses on any single wire connection.
The phenomenon is called split pair sharing.
Supposedly, you can split the use of your homes phone wire such that you can have two separate number accounts on one copper wire.
Three or four hard wired numbers would require a second physical wire. 5 or 6 would require a third wire, etc.

A problem can occur at the neighborhood routing box, if you are already split-pared with the same wire used by a neighbor, and then you or they try to split again at your house by having two separate telephone numbers.

Ask to have your house put on a line separate from use by any other house.

In truth, I do not know any of the technical aspect of phone wiring, but have encountered the above.
Perhaps a more knowledgeable Tech will have something to offer.

As to ongoing problems or problems suddenly cropping up on a previously good connections…
If you live in a neighborhood where there are renters, as I do, then when people move in and out periodically the new renters may subscribe to additional services.
Whatever telephone line-tech is performing the fresh installation may be focused on that job, moving other neighbors around to less good connections, in favor of giving his assigned new service the best…. leaving you or someone else with suddenly less good service.

Keep us posted with your progress as this Topic is of interest to many people.

Here's my speed test from the site I linked above:
I think my ATT enhanced DSL subscription is the same as what you describe for your own.

📎BroadBand_Speed_Test_Gov.jpg

Actually productive download speed may be considerably less than anticipated rate.
i.e. downloading from a site is also dependent upon the speed of that host and the amount of traffic presently at that host.

How are your testing?

this site is part of a recent government project.
Seems fairly accurate and reliable when I've used it a few times these past few days.

http://www.broadband.gov/

Download Speed - 6161 kbps
Upload Speed - 441
Latency 46
Jitter 39
_______________

If you've walked through your modem and router setup, – Not sure what you mean on this ?

and optimized your computer's receive cache size, - Is their a way to bump this up?


then you should look to your telephone wiring. – found a splice box where wires were tied together with wire nuts.


Distance from Main NIC can make a difference, especially if you have a long telephone wire extension leading to your DSL Modem. – 70 feet

The Website DSLreports has a few DSL-doctor type tutorials that may help with your configuration.
___________________

Not having some of your telephone appliances filtered can cause difficulty.
As can having your DSL modem plugged into the filtered side, instead of the non-filtered side of the split filter. - All jacks are filter ones provided by AT&T


Could be a problem with telephone lines delivering to your neighborhood, or the one directly to your house, or your NIC on the outside of your house.
Broken wire or wire with stripped or cracked insulation, or a nail/staple piercing the wire , or corrosion in the NIC box, can cause a problem… track your wiring as far back as you can from your DSL Modem back to the NIC at the outside of your house, and from there to the pole or underground.

If you have a multi-meter, I think the phone line is supposed to deliver 30 volts to your NIC. – is this dc volts?, will check leater to see.

If you call for service, the first thing they should be able to do is run a line-test remotely (at no cost to you).
Most always, unless there is a major fault, this line-test won't tell you much.

If you have the phone company come out and they find that there is "no problem" on their side… up to and including the NIC box, they will charge you for the service call and blame your inside wiring. If you happen to have inside wiring service as part of your phone subscription (a few dollars monthly) then they will examine your inside wiring… usually testing at the phone jack where you connect to your DSL modem.

I carry that monthly charge just for this very reason, to get full service if I need it, and I have used it a couple of times.

If there is a problem "on their side" it may not be anything wrong with your wiring, NIC or wire leading up to your house.
It can be at the neighborhood switching box.
I've had the phone company move my neighborhood switching connection to different connections and received much better service.

It has to do with the number of houses on any single wire connection.
The phenomenon is called split pair sharing.
Supposedly, you can split the use of your homes phone wire such that you can have two separate number accounts on one copper wire.
Three or four hard wired numbers would require a second physical wire. 5 or 6 would require a third wire, etc.

A problem can occur at the neighborhood routing box, if you are already split-pared with the same wire used by a neighbor, and then you or they try to split again at your house by having two separate telephone numbers.

Ask to have your house put on a line separate from use by any other house.

In truth, I do not know any of the technical aspect of phone wiring, but have encountered the above.
Perhaps a more knowledgeable Tech will have something to offer.

As to ongoing problems or problems suddenly cropping up on a previously good connections…
If you live in a neighborhood where there are renters, as I do, then when people move in and out periodically the new renters may subscribe to additional services.
Whatever telephone line-tech is performing the fresh installation may be focused on that job, moving other neighbors around to less good connections, in favor of giving his assigned new service the best…. leaving you or someone else with suddenly less good service.

Keep us posted with your progress as this Topic is of interest to many people.

Here's my speed test from the site I linked above:
I think my ATT enhanced DSL subscription is the same as what you describe for your own.

[attachment removed]

Download Speed - 6161 kbps
Upload Speed - 441
Latency 46
Jitter 39


Looks like you are getting the rate that you subscribed.
And those speed look pretty darn good to me.
______________________

If you've walked through your modem and router setup, – Not sure what you mean on this ?

Power cycling maybe once per month if you leave your modem/router on 24/7

When I've had serious problems with internet connection, I've gone all the way back to re-registering the modem serial number as part of the basic telephone company required connection procedure.
Does not appear that you need to do that. You are already getting good DSL throughput.
___________________________

then you should look to your telephone wiring. – found a splice box where wires were tied together with wire nuts.


Though that sounds "casual" on the part of the original installer, it does seem to be working.
__________________________

and optimized your computer's receive cache size, - Is their a way to bump this up?


Yes.
But keep in mind that your default settings may already be serving you satisfactorily.

To optimize for all anticipated instances of internet traffic and be ready to get the best rates in those circumstances, you can make an adjustment.
However, you may not notice much or any improvement in most of your general internet usage.

TCP/IP Receive Buffer Size (windows xp)

Warning! Incorrectly editing the registry can cause your system to become unbootable. Back up any valuable data on the computer before changing the registry.
If you are running Windows XP, first set a system restore point:
1. Select Start | Help and Support | Undo changes to your computer with System Restore.
2. In the System Restore window select Create a restore point and click Next.
3. Give the restore point a name and click Create.

To change your TCP Receive Window size:
1. Launch window registry editor by clicking on Start | Run .
2. Click in the Open dropdown box and type in regedit.exe then click OK .
3. Back up your registry by selecting File | Export type in a meaningful file name, in the export range section select All and save to your hard drive. To restore your old registry you simply import this file.
4. Next you need to create a new registry key. On the left side you need to go to the directory HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ Services\Tcpip\Parameters
5. Select Edit | New | DWORD Value .
6. Rename the new registry key to TcpWindowSize.
7. Modify the registry setting for TcpWindowSize by double clicking on the key.
8. Change the Base Setting to Decimal.
9. Enter the value 64240 and click OK, then exit RegEdit.
10. For these settings to take effect you need to close all your open applications and reboot your system.


Distance from Main NIC can make a difference, especially if you have a long telephone wire extension leading to your DSL Modem. – 70 feet


70 feet is a long distance, if you are measuring distance from an actual installed phone jack and using extension-cord telephone wire that the user is stringing along to reach their modem/router/computer setup.
But if you are measuring the distance of copper wiring inside the walls from the NIC box outside your home, it is probably about average for most homes.

Physically moving your computer, router and modem closer to the telephone company NIC box "might" help if the problems you had referred to had been severe.
But 6161 kbps seems good and strong. (I would have to have serious problems before considering this step)

If you have a multi-meter, I think the phone line is supposed to deliver 30 volts to your NIC. – is this dc volts?, will check leater to see.

Yes, DC. But again, with your test results, I wouldn't worry about it. Seems like you are getting good connection and throughput.

Download Speed - 6161 kbps
Upload Speed - 441
Latency 46
Jitter 39


Looks like you are getting the rate that you subscribed.
And those speed look pretty darn good to me.
______________________

If you've walked through your modem and router setup, – Not sure what you mean on this ?

Power cycling maybe once per month if you leave your modem/router on 24/7

When I've had serious problems with internet connection, I've gone all the way back to re-registering the modem serial number as part of the basic telephone company required connection procedure.
Does not appear that you need to do that. You are already getting good DSL throughput.

LoL lost power a few times in the past month , almost like losing power every other month. The power company not doing a good job, I know I use to manage it hehehe.
___________________________

then you should look to your telephone wiring. – found a splice box where wires were tied together with wire nuts.


Though that sounds "casual" on the part of the original installer, it does seem to be working.

During a repair in the walls, the wires were ripped apart, about midway in the house, the repair man spliced it right their to get the rest of phone jacks working over running all new lines.
_________________________

Distance from Main NIC can make a difference, especially if you have a long telephone wire extension leading to your DSL Modem. – 70 feet


70 feet is a long distance, if you are measuring distance from an actual installed phone jack and using extension-cord telephone wire that the user is stringing along to reach their modem/router/computer setup.
But if you are measuring the distance of copper wiring inside the walls from the NIC box outside your home, it is probably about average for most homes.

Physically moving your computer, router and modem closer to the telephone company NIC box "might" help if the problems you had referred to had been severe.
But 6161 kbps seems good and strong. (I would have to have serious problems before considering this step)

Room where my pc is how far this jack is from the NIC box outside

If you have a multi-meter, I think the phone line is supposed to deliver 30 volts to your NIC. – is this dc volts?, will check leater to see.

Yes, DC. But again, with your test results, I wouldn't worry about it. Seems like you are getting good connection and throughput.


Ok need a training lesson here, if you say My speed is good as I am paying for mabey I am missing something, should when I download if I am paying for 6.0 should be something like 1.0 mbps or higher ext. ext., and not in kbps, like I said down loaded AVG 9.0 from filehippo.com to test the speeds.

Sisters house 1.0 mb and she's paying for service above dsl light.

Mine suppose to be DSL Extreme 6.0 but only seeing this 768 kbps during the download, this is why I am here not up on this networking lingo.

Edit later after this post: 3:30 cst time

Correction my download speed is 762 KB/sec not kbps as posted before but still at a lost of really what this means.

found this but I guess I need it to be explained in simple terms:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-kbps.htm

kbps / kb / mbps/ mb/sec
56 / 6/
144 / 18/
384 / 48/
1,100 / 96 / 1.0/
1,500 / 137.5/ 1.5/
3,000 / 187.5 / 2.9 / 0.36
6,000 / 750 / 5.8 / 0.73

So what does this mean, that at 762 KB/sec, my speed is really 5.8 mbps ?
found this but I guess I need it to be explained in simple terms:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-kbps.htm

kbps / kb / mbps/ mb/sec
56 / 6/
144 / 18/
384 / 48/
1,100 / 96 / 1.0/
1,500 / 137.5/ 1.5/
3,000 / 187.5 / 2.9 / 0.36
6,000 / 750 / 5.8 / 0.73

So what does this mean, that at 762 KB/sec, my speed is really 5.8 mbps ?

Saw no responce to this, so is the above correct to my speed that I have ?

KB/s = 1000 bytes per second, 1 byte = 8 bits

762 KB/s = 6.096 Mb/s (Mega Bits per second 762 * 8)


Thanks Rich, This clears up a lot for me, thought because I was not seeing the data download rate a mb/sec, I thought I was getting ripped off. Like I said not up on the lingo talk for networking, this is one of my weak areas and this is why I ask these type of questions.

Again I said this in the past all the folks of WTT thank you very much for all the hard work that each of you do, it means a lot to folks like us. :thumbup: :wavey:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI