This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Videos are Black

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Operating System System Model
Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) (build 7600)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United States) Hewlett-Packard HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC 1
Enclosure Type: Notebook


Wen I play a video, for example, a power point or a wav that someone sends to me, some of it is clear at first then it turns black. I went to Device Manager and, under Sound, Video and Game Controllers, I checked for updates on High Definition Audio Device and when I choose Search Automatically I get that the best driver is already installed. Then I try Browse my computer for driver software and choose let me pick from a list of device drivers, then choose Browse my computer, I get two High Definition Audio Devices and when I choose one of them I get this message:
Update Driver Warning
—————————
Installing this device driver is not recommended because Windows cannot verify that it is compatible with your hardware. If the driver is not compatible, your hardware will not work correctly and your computer might become unstable or stop working completely. Do you want to continue installing this driver?
—————————
Yes No
I choose No. Then when I choose the other one, I get the same message.

Then I try the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC, go through the same steps above; and when I choose Let me pick from a list of device drivers then choose Browse my computer, I get one High Definition Audio Device, three IDT High Definition Audio CODEC. Versions 6.10.6087.0 (9-11-2008); 6.10.623.0 (6-13-2009); and 6.10.6276.0 (3-23-2010). Sometime earlier this week I chose the 3-23-2010, but that did not help.

I also did Scan for Hardware Changes (not sure what that does).

Your help sure would be appreciated!
i really have no idea where the problem might be, if it only happened with one file, i would say file corruption because it starts off playing fine before going to black.

only thing i can think of, is to try another media player and see if you get the same results, i suggest vlc :- http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

:popcorn:

i really have no idea where the problem might be, if it only happened with one file, i would say file corruption because it starts off playing fine before going to black.

only thing i can think of, is to try another media player and see if you get the same results, i suggest vlc :- http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

:popcorn:




Thank you, Terry. My video is working ok now. Not sure what fixed it. I did a system restore to two days ago (which I had done before and it did not help). Then I uninstalled some programs I had not been using; then I went to Advance System Care and let it scan the registry and fix the problems. Then I did a defrag, rebooted, went to my email and played some videos.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI