This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Deleted video driver

10 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello: I have two problems I need help with. I was trying to reinstall an audio driver using DriverFinder. Some weeks ago, the sound icon disappeared from the task bar. When it reappeared, it had a red x over it. When I scroll over it it says something like 'No Audio Output Device Installed'. Well, some of the directiones I read asked me to unistall the sound driver from Device Manager. Then, restart the machine and install it from DriverFinder. Bottom line, I must have deleted the wrong thing because now I have no screen. When I boot it I can hit F8 and get the options in Photo1. I have tried two options in Photo1 from the menu, "Last Known Good Configuration " and "Enable low-resolution video". Then it goes on to Photo2. Finally, both options resulting in a blank screen (Photo3). It's like it stalls there and nothing comes up. It is an HP Pavilion dv2700 Notebook Vista Home Premium 64-bit About 4 years old. Please help… :(
Try an external Monitor.

Yes, you "might" have mistakenly uninstalled the nVidia graphics Driver…. but unlikely.
Plus, upon rebooting, windows "should" have loaded a motherboard default vga driver that would get you to a low resolution windows boot.

More likely, is that you are having a problem specifically related to the nVidia graphics chip installed in that machine, which machine also has an air-circulation cooling problem that compounds the problem and makes it occur more frequently.

"If" your problem actually is related to the nVidia graphics chip, and you are not able to get a screen display via External Monitor, then the solution may involve opening up the case, performing some physical inspection and procedures upon the chip and mobo, and likely do some crafty modification of the heat-sink cooing solution to hopefully improve cooling.

All of the above may be beyond the ordinary skill level of the average owner/user.


I've encountered a few similar problems with other dv models of HP Laptops and though often "fixable", the time and necessary skill level costs more than laptop total replacement.

Try an external monitor and see if your can get the Drivers re-installed.
Then see if a local shop can help you by cleaning out the inside of the case and fan, or other cooling improvements.
Some HP owners do improve the life and functionality of their laptop by using a laptop-cooler underneath, but once the dust and debris start accumulating it is a sure thing that heat will become a serious problem.

Wish I had better news and an easy fix for you.
Who knows… maybe the external Monitor will in fact be the opening for an easy fix of re-installing the drivers.

Best Regards

Others with related problems:

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-85339-h…00-blank-screen
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Disp…sue/td-p/298204
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hard…700/td-p/229387
to be honest, i don't think it's a graphics/display problem, but an os problem because like you said it should have loaded a default driver and got to a desktop and because it didn't and the display/graphics seem to be working fine judging from the pics, i think something else got deleted from the os that is causing the problem, think i'd first do an os hard drive file check or even try a repair install of the os. shrugs. going to leave any recommendations on fixes to you windows experts with this one tho. :D :popcorn:
Hi fernipascual, Sorry to hear about the video problem with your computer If you can't get the external or built in VDU (screen) to work then maybe its a good idea before doing too much work to try and establish if its is an operating system problem or a hardware problem…. Note The fact that you have, in the past been able to see the "repair screens" as per your screen dumps is promising…. but here's my thoughts on how you can make further checks: 1 Download a live distro of Linux (Puppy) is a good one to try and its a download of only around 100MB or so so should not take too long on a reasonably fast broadband connection. 2 Burn the Puppy to CD as an "image" 3 Set the BIOS in your laptop to boot first from the optical drive (CD/DVD) and insert the CD and restart your computer 4 Follow onscreen directions…. Puppy will load the appropriate driver for your VDU 5 If your screen springs into life then your hardware is OK….. if its doesn't well there could be other explanations but the finger of suspiciaon is pointing towards your graphics chip….. Many HP laptops of similar model have graphicss issues as Doug has mentioned ..I sure hope that its not the graphics chip as if it is, and you brought the machine into my repair shop, it would most likley be declared as "beyond economic repair" If you need detailed instructions on downloading Puppy, burning it as "image" (please note a copy won't work! it has to be as an image) and booting from it then post back and one of us will supply you with the details and the download links Regards paws
Hi again: I tried connecting to a monitor and that did not work. What I don't understand, and I'm not tech savvy at all, is why I can see a screen up to a certain point and then nothing at all, even when connected to a monitor. And I know the monitor works b/c I connected my other laptop just to be sure. Does that mean Windows is not starting at all? Does Windows start but I can't see b/c the screen doesn't allow me to see? I will try Paws reco and will write back if I get stuck. thanks
Your results support the point of view of Terry, above and your next best step will be to investigate using the instructions offered by Paws. Please post back with your results as you are able. Best Regards
Is it the 6th one from the top that I have to download and burn? 05/05/2012 07:59AM 780 Slacko_Kernel_Sources.html 05/04/2012 07:37PM 109,961,248 devx_slacko_5.3.3.sfs 05/04/2012 07:37PM 56 devx_slacko_5.3.3.sfs.md5.txt 12/11/2011 12:00AM 17,409 puppylogo96.png 05/05/2012 05:26AM 41,280 release-Slacko-5.3.3.htm 05/04/2012 07:31PM 120,776,704 slacko-5.3.3-4g-SCSI.iso 05/04/2012 07:53PM 59 slacko-5.3.3-4g-SCSI.iso.md5.txt 05/04/2012 07:51PM 120,879,104 slacko-5.3.3-highmem-PAE-SCSI.iso 05/04/2012 07:53PM 68 slacko-5.3.3-highmem-PAE-SCSI.iso.md5.txt
you don't need to go any farther with linux that screenshot proves you don't have a hardware problem with your display, and is all they wanted to know. now we have to work on finding and fixing your windows install problem. sorry i don't know what's your next best step but someone will soon reply that does. do you have a windows install disc, just in case it's needed at some point? :popcorn:
I don't think I have a Windows install disk. Is there a way to get to the files I have on the desktop prior to re-installing Windows if I do need to re-install Windows?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI