Just a quick question that has had me wondering for a while.
Why are new members unable to edit thier own initial post?
There must be a valid reason, as this makes no sense to me.
If they forget to add information or make a mistake or need to make an important change to thier 1st post in a malware thread whilst waiting for an initial response, thier only option is to add a second post (reply to thier first post).
Yet they are told not to do this as the busy people here think somebody has already started helping them. (They scan for posts with 0 replies)
Hmmmm, I can see that editing at times if they dont know what they are doing could cause problems, but the need to be able to add information for a new member should they forget something important to mention or something new and important arises in the meantime, would seem to me to outweigh these concerns.
Im gathering there is some reason I am missing here?
Chrissy.
Hi Chrissy,
You ask an interesting and very good question…
The points you make are valid, and it is appreciated that for "normal" users of the forum, it can prove to be a little troublesome in the circumstances you mention.
Unfortunately sometimes we have folks join the forum who do not want to "play nice" and who will use an immediate edit facility to attempt to "cover their tracks" when they have posted "unsuitable or objectionable" material, and a moderator or admin has had to take action to protect the rest of the membership….. I could go on, but I guess you will get my drift…..we live in litigious times!
The edit facility is therefore not available to new members but is added when the member has posted sufficient "normal" posts to indicate they are unlikely to try and abuse the forum.
The edit facility has been the subject of a lot of thought and consideration, and whilst the downside of our position is clear, the overall protection of our members is very important to us.
In conclusion Chrissy, many thanks for your valuable contributions to the forum. They have been noticed….and are appreciated.
Regards
paws
Thankyou paws for your response. I can see now why there is a need for the restriction, i have noticed a few not so "normal" posts recently myself so yes, I get the drift.
In conclusion Chrissy, many thanks for your valuable contributions to the forum. They have been noticed….and are appreciated
Im not tech savvy, but am enjoying spending my spare time here reading and learning, and occasionally contributing if I think I can help. Its really nice (and somewhat surprising lol) to know that it has been noticed and appreciated :). You all do such a great job, it takes a special bunch of people (especially these days) to contribute thier knowledge and precious time to helping others.