Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Internet Connection Help

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tdodd00

tdodd00

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 07:06 PM

I have an HP Laptop that is not connecting to the internet. When I log on to my computer, it has the internet connection options, and then it connects and says "Connected with limited availability". It does not allow me to get on to the internet. Anyone know how to fix this? TIA!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 05 February 2011 - 07:24 PM

You need to provide more information. 1. Did it ever work? 2. How are you connecting, wireless or Ethernet cable? 3. Are you using a Router or does your ISP's modem support wireless and Ethernet connection? 4. If wireless, does it work if you use an Ethernet cable? Try the power reset process. 1. Turn everything off, ISP modem, router and laptop. 2. Turn on the ISP modem, wait a minute until it stabilizes. 3. Turn on the router, also wait till it stabilizes. 4. Turn on the laptop. See if that makes any difference.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 tdodd00

tdodd00

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 07:31 PM

Sorry, I guess more details would help. :D Yes, it has always worked (had the computer for a few years), worked up until a day ago. I connect wirelessly, and haven't tried to connect with an ethernet cable at this point. I've done the whole, unplug everything and restarting the computer, and that's not working either. I know it's not related to my specific router, since I have tried at various places to use the wireless internet, and although my computer can locate the connections, it is never all to connect besides the "connected with limited access". I just checked and my IP address starts with 169, which I read on a website means I may have a virus or firewall preventing me from connecting. Would that be correct?

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 02:51 AM

Hi tdodd00,
I see you suspect malware on your computer and have posted in the Virus Spyware and Malware removal forum for help:
http://forums.whatth...howtopic=116978
Until the good folks over in the Virus Spyware and Malware removal forum. either pass you back here or say your machine is clean, we are unable to make any recommendations here on this Tech forum as this might make the malware fighters job even more difficult than it is already.
Post back here in this topic when you are declared clear of infection or are otherwise "handed back" to us.
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:25 PM

Paws, when I looked at the link you posted I got the General Hardware forum, not the Malware forum.

Since the IP address you are getting is 169. that means you are not getting an IP address. That is the default assigned when DHCP is not providing you with one.

Try deleting you wireless device in Device Manager.
  • Open Control Panel
  • Open System
  • Click on the Hardware tab
  • Click on Device Manager
  • Expand Network Adapters
  • Right click on your wireless device and select Uninstall
  • Reboot
XP will rediscover the device and reload the drivers. This often resolves weird problems like this.

Rich

#6 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:20 AM

Paws, when I looked at the link you posted I got the General Hardware forum, not the Malware forum

Thanks Rich, yes it was moved from Virus Spyware and malware removal...so please continue, with your usual valuable assistance.
I will post a follow up link in "General Hardware" directing to this topic here.
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#7 tdodd00

tdodd00

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:22 PM

Rich, I tried the sequence that you told me and it still did not fix the issue. When I am connected to the internet it continues to say "connected with limited access". When I select to "diagnose the problem" it opens up a window that says "Network diagnostics cannot run because the Diagnostic Policy Service is not running" -> "click to open Service Control Manager - You will need to manually start the Diagnostic Policy Service. Once this services is started, yuo can run Network Diagnostics" When I click on that, and the select the Diagnostic Policy Service and "start" the service it says "windows could not start the Diagnostic Policy Service on Local Computer. Error 5: Access is denied." I hope some of this information helps! ~Kelli

#8 tdodd00

tdodd00

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:15 PM

Rich, I went ahead and restored my computer to a few days ago, before this all began, and it seems to have fixed the issue. Do you think this will be a permanent fix? Thank you, Terri

#9 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:50 PM

Terri, hard to say. Should be permanent but since we don't know what caused the problem the first time there is no guarantee. \

My guess would be a corrupted Winsock. If so then it could happen again if you install a program that corrupts it again. Had you installed or removed anything around the time the problem occurred?

Rich

#10 tdodd00

tdodd00

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 08:20 AM

No, I had not installed anything new, that's what was so weird. So far, so good...we will see I guess. Thanks for all your help...I really do appreciate it~