This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

100% disk active

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a problem with my system where if I am running all three drives in my system (C - 750G SATA, D - 750G SATA, W 500G IDE) after a few minuites drives C and D are at 100% active and W at 0%. At this point the system is unusable because of how slow it is (can not access drive C I guess). If I boot up in safe mode, I don't have the problem, or it I unhook drives D and W I don't have any problems.

I first posted and had help in the virus section, but we did not find much, so I was told to try here.
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=116597

Here is rundown on my system:

OS: Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit
MB: Foxconn P45A-S
uP: INTEL C2Q 9450
Memory: 4G - OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Reaper HPC
Video: EVGA GeForce 8800 GS
Power: COOLMAST REAL POWER PRO 850W
HD: C & D - Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ W: Seagate 500G IDE

Not sure if you need any other info.
Thanks for your help.
CamaroDan, Your error log shows that you have a variety of updates that are failing. I don't know if this is the cause or your problem… or merely a symptom. I suggest that you go to www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate and attempt to get updates current. The updates may fail again. If they do, please provide that information.
Ok, I fixed the update problem. For some reason SQL Server 8 would not update to service pack 2, untill .NET was updated to 4.0. Anyway I got that fixed. Still had the problem with Drive C and D at 100% active, so I did some playing. I found out drive W had nothing to do with it (I could have it hooked up or not without any change). So the next thing I tried is to move drive D to another SATA port and that worked. Not sure why, but the system works as it should now. What I find weard is that the system worked in safe mode and not normal mode. One other note, when the drives went to 100% active, the drive light was on solid and I did not hear and disk activity, even though it performance monitor said it was at 100& for both drives.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI