This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Avast Free vs. Paid version

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi JohnRocks, I Split your post off into its own Topic, because often when a question is added on to someone else's Topic Thread, it can get overlooked and not answered. Several Antivirus publishers offer a free version. Generally speaking the detection engine and libraries are the same in FREE and Paid version. Paid versions offer automatic update several times daily, and sometimes additional linked resources, if you wish to further investigate a detected item. In FREE versions, the antivirus updates once daily, and does not provide free access to advanced research links for investigating detected items. I've been a fan of, and user of free versions for many years.
One glaring difference is that the FREE version is for HOME use only. Please support the creators of these wonderful products that give us a FREE version to use in our homes by paying for licenesed copies to use in your business, or non-profit. Other than that, there are many differences over the paid version from the free version. All of which can be be found on the respective websites of each product. They want you to know the difference so you are encouraged to buy the product.

I recently found this about avast,… it appears they are bridging the gap between free and paid versions.

I have used avast free for over 12 months now, and trialed their paid version too. :thumbup:

Although it was handy, I have other free programs that easily cover all the tasks that require me to pay for an anti-virus suite. :)

Hmmm…Google already do that via the inbuilt security in Chrome. Not to mention that "dodgy" sites either get extremely poor PageRanks or are taken off search results all together. Maybe I'm too much of a Google fanboy? :P

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI