Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

AVG or AVAST! ?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 soundspree

soundspree

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 11:10 PM

i was looking online for some advice, but i would like some of your input. i have AVG as my antivirus program, because its free, and i dont quite have any money to purchase norton. right now, its been working grand. however, i was wondering if AVG also detects trojans. and what is the difference between AVAST and AVG?

Edited by soundspree, 23 May 2005 - 11:11 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 shelf life

shelf life

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 05:30 PM

i use avg, never tried avast. one may have more features than the other. some people will swear by one or the other. the main thing is to keep av updated and active. what it really comes down to is personal preference. which one >you< like best. you could probably check out the features of avast at there website. AV apps are only good for the more "popular trojans" here are some other things you might consider:

Make sure you keep your Windows OS current by visiting Windows update
occasionaly to download and install any critical updates and service packs. With out these you are leaving the backdoor open.

Also download, install and keep updated- Antivirus Software (and use only one):
Free for home users:
avast! 4 Home Edition Download
AVG free version 7.0 AVG free version v6.0 updates ended 12/31/04
AntiVir Personal Edition

Adjust your browser settings: Change your(active x) settings in IE. With IE open go to tools, internet options, security tab. Click on the internet globe, then custom level. Set the first option "download signed active x controls" to prompt, the next two to disable. Read more:
Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
Working with Internet Explorer 6 Security
Many exploits are directed at Internet Explorer, you dont have to use it. Try a different browser.
Like Firefox,
And Pegasus Mail for a safer e-mail client.
Outlook Express with the default settings is not secure. It will run scripts, download images etc, just like a browser.
look here
and here

Install a firewall. A firewall will control what comes in from the internet and what leaves your computer to the internet. A firewall will also alert you when a application trys to connect to the internet from your computer, this is a good way to catch crapware or trojans, trying to connect out bound from your computer- whats that and why does it need a internet connection? You can deny it access it until more investigation is done. Zone Alarm is a free and easy to use firewall, that will provide in and outbound protection. Microsoft XP firewall only provides inbound protection. SP2 adds in and out bound protection which is better than nothing, but is not as robust as third party firewalls, Be sure to run only >one< firewall.If you use another, be sure to disable XP's built in firewall. A inexpensive NAT hardware router with SPI (firewall)would be even better,along with a software firewall.
Zone Alarm
Kerio Personal Firewall
Outpost Firewall
Sygate Personal Firewall

Download, install and update before using:(if these are constantly finding malware, then you need to make some changes)
Ad-Aware SE Personal edition
Spybot Search and destroy
Becarful with spyware "removers and scanners"-- there are many "rogue/suspect" programs that "claim to remove" spyware.

Other programs to consider:
SpywareBlaster
IE-SPYAD
AntiTrojan software to fill in the gap:
a2 free
Ewido Security Suite
Trojan Hunter (30 day trial version)
TDS-3 trail version
Tauscan trial version

Learn More:
How to Secure (and Keep Secure) My (New) Computer(s)
Home Computer Security
Wilders Security Advisors

Watch what you download, and where you download it from. Many programs come bundled with "extra" crapware you may not want. Make sure you know what it is you will be downloading and installing. Visit the makers website, learn more about the program, Does the program you want come bundled with other "3rd party" programs? What do the 3rd party programs do? Will they deliver ads? Track your surfing habits?.You may be installing more than you think, Read the EULA agreement, you know that paragraph of stuff you "agree to" before the software installs? Stay away from warez and crack sites. Becarful what you download from file sharing networks.If you are not sure, scan it with your Antivirus app. A small file (in KB) is probably not what you think it is. Some p2p clients also install 3rd party stuff you probably dont want. If you search hard enough you can usually find a "clean" alternative to any software.
How Can I Reduce My Risk?