Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91808 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Free or Paid?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 lichking21st

lichking21st

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:19 PM

Hello, long time since I last visited I have 2 antivirus options 1. mcafee antivirus ( offered by telecom) 2. Free antivirus (antivir, avast ect) Which one is the best????
No Comment is a comment...

To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it; to mess up your Windows box, you just need to work on it

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:34 PM

Hi lichking21st, For me it is Avast Anti-Virus. I run it on all computers, easy, clear and automatically updates. You may like to click on my signature inclusions to choose from a bevy of different software programs. :) kind regards,

#3 HFCG

HFCG

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:I like historical buildings, ghost, and dogs &cats

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:31 PM

Both antivir,and avast are very good. (I use Avira antivir) If you choose Mcafee you might as well have no protection. Mcafee is worse then Norton!

Deo gratiam habeamus
Thank you for considering a Donation to What the Tech!
The purple text in my post are links for you to click on
Computer CPUs are designed so that the address of any piece of data in virtual memory is tracked by a single integer register. So the total amount of data the computer can keep in its working field depends on the width of these registers. A 32 bit register size enables 232 addresses (4 GB) to be referenced. Switching to a 64 bit register increases the available address space to (approximately) 16 TB. This is why 32 bit operating systems can only use up to 4 GB of RAM, and 64 bit operating systems can use much more. (I have a 32 bit system)

#4 Jkc73

Jkc73

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Malware Removal, Tech Support

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:08 AM

Hi lichking21st
:huh: Quite surprising their is no responses from the Malware Experts :rofl:

Here is your link to check out the free products from the not so free.
I say free are better, due to the fact that once a paid version conflicts with another paid version then money is lost.
Not to say that I run 2 anti-virus programs, simply to state that some firewall and AntispywareScanners conflict with some anti-virus programs.
I wouldn't want that happening when my computers safety is at stake, especially if I paid good money for it,(My PC) then paid out for the anti-virus, firewall, antispyware and other preventative programs.

Give me free any day. :thumbup:

Regards
Jkc73
~ Jkc73
--------------------

Posted Image
Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.
How to Prevent Malware: by ©miekiemoes
"I do most of my reading when writing".

Enjoy life, before it enjoys you!

Due to real life commitments, I may be unable to respond!

#5 lichking21st

lichking21st

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:24 AM

I have avast, and comodo Internet security with anivirus turned off.... is that good?

Edited by lichking21st, 05 March 2009 - 01:24 AM.

To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it; to mess up your Windows box, you just need to work on it

#6 lichking21st

lichking21st

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:29 AM

Also is NOD32 antivirus good?

#7 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:45 AM

You may like to click on my signature inclusions to choose from a bevy of different software programs. :)

I have said it all in my signature as far as my choices are concerned. Feel free to browse through the different links.

kind regards,

Edited by tallin, 04 April 2009 - 01:26 AM.

#8 HFCG

HFCG

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:08 AM

I would like to point out that the best security (anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall) software will not protect your machine with out safe browsing habits. I am sure that there is an article on safe browsing habits. The biggest thing that I look for when browsing is the actual address (in green letters at the bottom) of the web site. The best way for me to express this; lets say that I am looking for Spybot. On the search page there are several listings to choose from. One listing is SpyWAREbot. This is not the web site for Spybot SD! Looking at the address of the web site I can see that it is not where I want to go (of course the average user may not know this). Just an example, you must use safe browsing habits with good security software to stay free of malware. If you have any questions on this please look at the malware forum here, and ask questions about malware in the malware forum. (believe me, the malware experts have a much greater knowledge about these kinds of things than we do!)

Deo gratiam habeamus
Computer CPUs are designed so that the address of any piece of data in virtual memory is tracked by a single integer register. So the total amount of data the computer can keep in its working field depends on the width of these registers. A 32 bit register size enables 232 addresses (4 GB) to be referenced. Switching to a 64 bit register increases the available address space to (approximately) 16 TB. This is why 32 bit operating systems can only use up to 4 GB of RAM, and 64 bit operating systems can use much more. (I have a 32 bit system)

#9 cliffdodger

cliffdodger

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:59 PM

Also is NOD32 antivirus good?

Nod32 is fantastic and well worth the $70 for a 2 year membership. Fantastic heuristic scanning (arguably it'll detect more viruses that aren't "defined" and are still in the wild than most if not all other a/v programs), very fast file scanning compared to some. Nod32 is best suited to keep you from getting infected more so than it is to clean existing viruses. Best part is it runs in around 30 megs of ram. Less than msn... less than AVG (around 60?), Norton or Trend micro (80-100+)

Edited by Doug, 03 April 2009 - 07:38 PM.
removed advertisement link

Cliff, completely lunar lunarpages web hosting

#10 drvoip

drvoip

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:19 PM

I personally suggest mcafee antivirus since it doesnt take much of the system resources. And have no clue about the others which you mentioned.

Edited by Doug, 09 April 2009 - 12:50 PM.
Advertisements not allowed in signature

drvoip.com - cisco voip

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 HFCG

HFCG

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:40 AM

I would never advice any one to use Mcafee!!! :pullhair: Mcafee is the worst anti-virus program IMNSHO

Deo gratiam habeamus

#12 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:48 AM

I have to agree with HFCG on that one....

Abydos

Asking for Technical Help

Preventing Malware Slow PC? Recovery Console!

"I am not young enough to know everything" - Oscar Wilde

#13 Conspire

Conspire

SuperHelper

• Classroom Teacher
  • 5,805 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 04:09 AM

I am not a big fan of Norton or McAfee, but they have just launched their 2009 version of Security Suite and Anti-Virus. I heard that they have dramatically reduced the amount of resources needed to run and therefore it is much lighter than the previous version. I would like to know what are the thoughts of you guys have in mind?
Proud Graduate of the WTT Classroom
Member of UNITE
The help you receive here is always free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:01 AM

Well. I have used neither of them. Altho the initial reviews on the new Norton looks promising. If they really have upped the effort to make a product consumers will have no resource problems with, kodus to Symantec. It should be leaner on the footprint, but lets see. Norton, does have a good AV with regards to protection, but, and its a big but. It usually suffers from compatibility problems with other security programs, leaving only one sound choice, more Symantec products. With regards to Mcafee, I can't say (Have they launched a new 2009 low-profile version also?) Anyways. The way they conduct business and "trick" people into buy their products are not desireable in my opinion. I often find that less IT-knowledgeable people (especially elder people) think they have a AV, also after the 60 day trial period have expired when buying new computer. Basically leaving them with a non-updated AV.....Other companies use this business as well, and I must say, shame on those who doesn't inform clearly on that the AV are no longer updating. I don't have enough fingers to count the instances where I have found this scenario. I have used a lot of different security programs, and to date, the AV's I will recommend for the time being (Things may change) is Avira and Avast. Would also to some extent say AVG (some of the new features are really good) but it leave some to desire with regards to updating at times and have some compatibility problems on certain machines and programs. Nonetheless, a good AV for the free value. All said and done. AV programs as we know them, are soon to be a thing of the past as active defense. New times means new ways of protecting. Cheers

Abydos

Asking for Technical Help

Preventing Malware Slow PC? Recovery Console!

"I am not young enough to know everything" - Oscar Wilde

#15 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:51 AM

Abydos,

All said and done. AV programs as we know them, are soon to be a thing of the past as active defense.
New times means new ways of protecting.

That ominous statement has been made by many Experts during the past several years.
Mark E. Russinovich (of SysInternals/now MS) comes to mind.

The concern certainly recommends a system monitoring solution such as Bill Pytlovany's Win Patrol , either the free or Plus versions will do.

I wonder if you'd like to expand on your thinking in this or in another New Thread?

Doug
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.