This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Clone question of C drive

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

HI, a few days ago for the first time, I decided to make a clone of my C drive ( XP-SP3 ) onto my external hd. All went well it seems. Now, by an unpleasant coincidence, I have to install the clone, and I am at the step of not knowing how to do this. Do I delete the original C drive on my desktop and then install the clone in its place? In that way, would the clone be boot able? The original HD has only 10 GB's of free space, so I cannot add the clone to that it. The external drive clone needs at least 28 GB. Would it be feasible to exchange drives, if so, again would that be boot able as a primary? BTW, I am assuming that the clone copied all those blue updates that shows up in Windows, or would I have to have the clone to update all those updates again? Thanks
Hi Novel8, welcome to WTT What program did you use to make the C: clone copy? This will tell us what steps are required to use it to replace your original C: No, don't wipe / delete your original C: before restoring it with the clone. This is not necessary. When you use the clone, everything on your C: drive including the Master Boot Record (MBR) will be faithfully replaced within the same (or larger) HDD space, including any and all updates you had up until the time you made the clone. Anything added to your C: drive since you made the clone will be lost. So if possible, save what you want from your original C: to a USB drive or disk. The clone can also (usually) be used on a new drive fitted to the same computer using the clone programs boot disk. Cheers, Lee

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI