This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Memtest

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I wanted to test the memory.So went to memtest.org and downloaded Pre-compiled bootable iso Pre-compiled bootable for the stick. Neither boots. What am I doing wrong and is there an easier alternative? Thank you in advance. PS> Dell dimension E521+ XP+SP3 and all subsequent updates. 32 bit.
Thank you. I have already done what the article recommends. I burned the ISO image to cd.That cd does not work. Instead of booting it opens a window showing various folders.Clicking on them does not help. Same happened when I used the usb key.
Did you change the boot order in your BIOS Setup Menu to put the CD drive before the HD? You must do that so the system will look for a boot disk in the CD. If done, watch the lower left corner during boot for a prompt to press any key to boot to the CD. If you don't press a key, the boot process will move on to the next boot device listed.


While I prefer memtest, you might try Windows Memory Diagnostic - see the easy to follow instructions under Quick Start Information.
Apologies for putting you to trouble. My bad. I was simply putting the cd in while still in windows.After I shut down and actually rebooted the correct way/ it worked fine.It passed.There is nothing wrong with the memory. Thank you very much for taking the trouble to help me.
No trouble. Glad you got it sorted out. Thanks for the follow up. One more thing, however. You need to allow memtest to complete at least one pass, preferably several. That typically takes much longer than the couple minutes that passed between our two last posts.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI