This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Create Bootable Slipstreamed XP Disk

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Challenge: Create a bootable XP CD using a slipstreamed ISO file.
I used "Free Easy Burner"
After copying all files from a distribution XP Home disk including Service Pack 1 to a new folder "XP" on my
hard drive I downloaded and slipstreamed SP-3 into that folder successfully.
Then using Free Easy Burner I created an ISO file out of the slipstreamed file.
After opening a new project I burned the ISO file on a new CD-R disk and this
appeared successful as reported on the burn report.
My BIOS was set to Boot from the CD drive first.
Non of the 6 newly created disks would boot.
I know I must be missing something in this process but don't know what it is.
I just want to create a bootable XP reinstallation disk with SP-3 included and hope someone can help.
I appreciate the quick response but that didn't work either.
I visited the referenced WEB page and step 4 reads: "Click the open button next to the empty space within the ISO File section, near the top of the program window."
Using FreeEasyBurner the only choices are:
ACTION section: New, Burn!, Create an Image.
FILE & FOLDER TASKS: Add a folder to project, Add files to project, Create a new folder, and Remove from project.
Here is what i did:
Inserted blank disc, with "burn your disc using FreeEasyBurner" I clicked OK.
Selected XP-SP-3.iso and clicked on Open, clicked on Burn, then selected Burn Now!
Waited for burn to complete. Elapsed time 02:43 minutes.
When inserting the newly created disc a window opens New (E:), Files currently on the CD, XP-SP3.iso, 602,504KB, ISO file. XP did not start.
Leaving disc in the drive restarting the system opened in a normal window. Again, XP did not start.

Maybe I created the files to make the ISO file incorrectly.
I copied all the files from the setup disc into a new folder "XP", downloaded the full SP-3 package from Microsoft into the folder XP-SP-3 folder.
Navigated to that folder and ran the command C:\XP-SP3\windowsXP-KB936929-SP3-X86-env.exe -x
This seemed to do the extraction correctly. Then I created the ISO file.
Sorry so detailed and long winded.
i'd try another burner program, if you burned the iso file as an image it should auto start.

if you still can't get it working and your sure your burning the iso file to a cd as an image then i'd try another way to slipstream sp3 into xp.

here's 4 different guides on how to do what you want.

http://www.howtohaven.com/system/slipstrea…ce-pack-3.shtml
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/creatin…d-iso-file/1848
http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp3_cd.htm
http://lifehacker.com/386526/slipstream-se…installation-cd

i think 2 of the links use nlite to create the iso file, before burning it as an image to cd.

:popcorn:
If the great links terry1966 do not help, then I suggest using nLite, it's free, easy, and very adaptable, you can preset many stages of your install so a large amount of the possible tweaking you would do is already done by setting the correct options during each stage of using nLite, it also burns the disk on completion for you, if you select the option to do so, otherwise it will save it as an iso wherever it is set to place it, I love it as it's so easy to use, but it's not the only way out there, but I offer it as an alternate option if you need a fallback option, hope it helps.
Thanks guys for the on going help. I used NLite to create the slipstreamed ISO file and terry1966 was correct it was easy to use. That is what I needed. Now my next step is to burn the ISO file to a CD. I will try FreeEasyBurner to do the job and let you know how it worked.
Well, that failed also. I now have about 10 discs that wont boot but have the Winlite.iso file installed on them. You were much help in creating the slipstreamed ISO file (or image) now how do I make a bootable disc using the ISO file "Winlite.iso"? What program should I use a different program than FreeEasyBurner to do that or am I doing it wrong? Here is what I have done so far: 1. Copied all files from from distribution disk to a folder called C:\XP 2. Downloaded SP-3 from MS to a folder called C:\XP-SP3. 3. Used nLite to slipstream SP3 (step2) into the XP folder in (step 1). 4. this created a file (image) Winlite.iso in my C:\download folder. (easy using nLite) 5. Used FreeEasyBurner and clicked on add file to project and that file was "Winlite.iso" 6. Clicked on Burn, then Burn Now! and waited for project to finish. 7. After completion disc was reinserted but only contents opened showing "Winlite.iso" present. 8. Rebooting with disc inserted only restarted XP in normal mode.
If you made it with nLite why are you trying to burn it with another burner ? Just use nLite to burn it, don't mess around with other burners, nLite is perfect for this, if it was used to create the file what better to burn it with other than the program that created it ? Assuming you have set the correct options in nLite you wont get any failed burns, been a long time since I used this, but once it builds the file (can't recall the exact term it uses), I think it's the same page, if not the next page, there are drop down boxes, I think it's the top right drop box that offers a "Direct Burn" I think they call it, if I have remembered the wrong box just check the others, one of them has the option to burn the file directly, job done, hope this helps.
edit:- i see 8210GUY beat me to it, and yes i'd follow his advice first. :thumbup:

7. After completion disc was reinserted but only contents opened showing "Winlite.iso" present.

it sounds like it's not burning as an image.

try using this iso burner to burn the Winlite.iso file. :- http://www.freeisoburner.com/
or imgburn :- http://www.imgburn.com/

both should give you a bootable cd.

:popcorn:
Finally got er done. Didn't realize nLite could create a bootable disk from the Winlite.iso file as there was no option after creating the Winlite.iso after it was created. I was using the BURN and BURN NOW! options as that was the only options available. The I opened the nLite program again and finally found the option to burn the Winlite.iso file to a CD. YEA! Now it works. Thanks graciously for all the help in getting the problem solved. I also had Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.0 and that was fairly easy to create a bootable disc but when I tried it on disc #11 a corrupted file hidusb.sys was displayed. That is when I went back and opened nLite and it worked perfectly.
The simplest way to burn an iso file is simply double click it, the default burner you use will jump up and burn it, but glad you finally got it sorted anyway.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI