This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Copying files and folders to a USB - Win7

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am trying to be a good citizen and back-up significant documents each week but have struck a problem. Initially I attached a USB and used "Send to" to put My Docs on the USB. It worked the first time but since then each time I have done the same thing all I get is a repeat of what is already on the USB with no update of folders or files that I have used subsequently. I therefore tried by copying My Docs and pasting it in the USB with the same result.

 

I have Win7 sp1 Home Premium.

 

How do I get to copy changed and new files and folders?

Hi Kangeroo, If you just want to back up the files that have changed since your last back up then you need back up software or a batchfile to do this for you.

 

If you just copy the contents of your "Documents" for example then here's how to do it.

 

1 Open docs on your computer's hard drive

2 Select all ( Ctrl+a)

3 with cursor anywhere on the highlighted items (blue bits) use Ctrl+c (this will copy everything to the clipboard

4 Now go to your USB drive and this time use Ctrl+v (this will paste everything that you copied to the clipboard into your USB drive)

 

Note that if you copy to a location on the USB drive where you already have backups the computer will usually respond with a message similar to "folder or file already exists do you wish to overwrite?" if you say Yes then this will REPLACE your existing back up…

 

Some folks have  folders on their USB drive called "Monday back up" Tues back up" etc., etc., and just copy each days work into the appropriate folder….. this gives you a little flexibility( if you need it!)

Regards

paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI